HR versus DE fuel consumption

JetSet

I guess this'll only apply to people who've owned both but here we go. Since I've owned my DE Zed the only time the computer has been reset is when I've changed the battery (twice now) and my MPG has changed very little, it's been a good mix of roads, only a dozen or so runs of 100 miles or more on Motorways but mostly round trips of around 7-10 miles. My average has been pretty rock solid at between 25.8 and 26.0. Now today, I've changed the battery on Caroline's HR ,which is the first time since we've had it that the computer has been reset. When we got the Zed back in 2010 with 7k on the clock the computer read 21.1 and 21k miles later it had only inched up to 21.3, a lot of those miles driven by me. So, I took the opportunity to take it for a fairly gentle run today. 40 miles in my normal "economy style", changed gear at 2.5 to 3.0k and no heavy traffic, result 22.3 MPG. Now I know that the facelift roadster is somewhat heavier than my old DE coupe(and I suspect 95 RON fuel has been added :surrender: ) but I did a similar run when I last changed my battery and got 30.3 MPG. Anyone else noticed this?

Pete

Edited by JetSet

I average around 25 mpg in my DE since the Uprev map. Before it was done it was around 27 but it was running very lean. What were the official figures for both DE and HR engines at launch? I would happily trade off a few mpg for the newer HR engine with a higher rev limit to be fair.

I find this interesting, as the 370z I've driven *appeared* to be better on fuel, not worse, and has the same breathing upgrade AND a bigger block relative to my DE.

The reported figures seem to support that the 70's better too. Anybody know why that might be?

My 370z is really good on fuel dunno what you people are doing wrong ;)

12541062_10153875285294664_3347129879827569703_n_zpsbw5ixzd6.jpg

Firstly dont rely on the display, it lies and secondly , fuel consumption is extremely variably and fluctuates wildly , the only way to get an meaningful comparison is to measure mileage against fuel used ie Fill to Fill and over a considerable time, but who bought their zed to do that ?.

I wouldn't expect a considerable difference between the DE and HR , much more between the Roadster and Coupe and auto and manual transmissions

Dont leave filling up until the range goes blank and you have to slipstream an artic just to make it to the petrol station - it does do wonder for the economy though

1752_10153875285264664_2416050398953380228_n_zpskk6u2m1i.jpg

On the 'who bought a zed to do that'... I didn't buy a zed to do that but can't run two cars, so in order to have my weekend blatter I also have to drive it 400 miles a week to and from work, and it's all motorways so not exactly a spirited drive.

So the more I can save fuel on an already boring weekly commute, the more I can spend driving like a twit at the weekend and spend on spacers, inefficient but cool sounding air filters and soon an exhaust hahahaha.

I wouldn't expect a considerable difference between the DE and HR , much more between the Roadster and Coupe and auto and manual transmissions

Just looked up the weights, HR Roadster is 150-160kgs heavier than a DE coupe, I thought it was something like half of that so it will account for nearly all the difference in MPG.

Pete

My JDM auto coupe DE is giving a measured 24.9mpg on all roads commute including motorway at speeds to make progress and not save fuel. Measured in that I don't rely on the car computer, but fill up each time at the pump and note down the mileage and the fuel used.

Just fitted flyboy's airbox conversion (intake trumpet off HR) and I'll be looking to see if that makes a difference.

Edited by GrahameJ

My 370z is really good on fuel dunno what you people are doing wrong ;)

12541062_10153875285294664_3347129879827569703_n_zpsbw5ixzd6.jpg

Firstly dont rely on the display, it lies

Hah that's a good figure on yours :)

I use an mpg app (just a habit from my previous car as it didn't have a computer). The mpg display on my '70 is very accurate against the app - biggest gap was 0.2mpg but I put that down to rounding as the car goes up in 0.3's.

I am a little surprised by mine on a run compared to my old DE. With cruise control set to 71 i struggle to get over 30mpg, where as the DE would regularly return 34-36.

Edited by mattross1313