Z Replacement

Pritchard

Hey guys.

just a hypothetically ... :)

me and the missus are all settled into a new house now, and we are agreed that its several years yet until we are both ready for kids. so we have been toying with the idea of swapping in both of our cars (Z and TT) and getting something a little bit awesome.

ive got some money stashed away and was quite keen to inject the Z with some more horses. but the idea has me thinking, what else is out there?

with the sale of both cars and some savings we would be looking at around the 40k mark. a figure i wouldnt dream of spending on a car, but as its 'halves' its easier to swallow.

so ive done a little shopping around.

2 seats is fine. i want something that has speed, cornering ability, and the sort of car kids point at and go 'look at that cat Daddy!'' (not in the slightest vain :) )

so, initially had considered a couple of year old GTR, natrually. But they dont do alot for me in terms of attractiveness.

The Lotus Exige, 3.5 V6 had me drooling! around the 3 second mark to 60! :0 wow.

but what really has me turned on Jag F-type, again a couple of years old for the money. But its pretty slow (4.8 secs) in comparision in the price range.

what would you guys go for?

oh, and it HAS to come in Orange! :)

Me and the missus are both sold onthe oprange F-type, plenty fast enough, but when i compare it to the GTR or Lotus its far off the pace which upsets me.

The only thing is that i drive often for work to customer offices for conferences.

A Jag would get attention but i think it would still be there in the morning.

the Exige i think i would panic over that it would be gone if left in the wrong carpark.

or am i being naive? :)

Unless you're very comfortable doing so, I wouldn't be turning up for a customer meeting in an Exige. Sends off the wrong impressions, sadly, and I get the feeling that impressions are very important to you. 350 you can laugh off as only a Nissan, Jag is still an old-man brand so that's okay, GTR looks like a box so again it's okay, but what is essentially (to most people) a racing car? I think you may not find impressions favourable.

Personally I'd split the fund, go buy an S2 Exige and something to trot around to offices in.

• Like 1

i had thought that, about turning up looking like they are paying me too much.

maybe i could say i'm babby sitting it for a friend who is currently in Columbia for his monthly visit? :D

but it is a valid point Dan.

I do like TVRs, but i dont think its something i would buy. Plus for the sort of money i could part with it to a car that so old. i'd want some sort of warranty. i think something over 10 years id be lucky to get a months warranty at some places.

Porsche 911 C4S- 10 year old car which you can pick up with not very many miles for £25k, and which will be appreciating in value year-on-year. Stick a private platoon it and only the Porsche boffins will know how old it is....

Lotus Evora S: http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/evora/lotus-evora-s-3-5-v6-manual-2-0-tech/5212625?v=b

The new evora looks great in orange but it still quite pricey.

Same supercharged 3.5 v6 Toyota engine as in the exige but a bit easier to live with if you want to use it often, but carrying some more weight. Official 0-60 time is 4.4 instead of the exige s's time of 3.8. Hangar 111 do the komotec upgrades for the exige/ evora which are worth a look too.

Theres one fairly local to me in white advertised for £34k, I'm scared to go look at it though!

• Like 1

TVR is also a very good investment. A 2003/2004 T350 3 years ago would cost you around £23-25K. Now they are £30k plus. They will only go up in value as will a lot of cars that are no longer produced.

Edited by Payco

One thing I have to say, forget what what magazines and us lot say (in regards to a motor), forget what the statistics are.

Make a shortlist, go and drive them, then make a decision.

It's cool to ponder and what not but ultimately you need to experience the thing and go from there :)

Personally I couldn't give a flying-fook what I turn up to work in, and if it's that outlandish, just get a £500 shitter to arrive in.

:lol:

• Like 1

See, we know our onions. :D

You already said how much you love the look of the Exige, that for me screams that it's the car for you. Go with your gut, it's almost always right!

I'm always really envious when I see one drive past. They're so cool, but the price just won't come down enough for me to get one :(