Traffic police ?

PPod

Try Papua New Guinea

If you get stopped at a check point (which is normally on a Thursday ready for the weekend)) thats 100 PGK - about £25 - just for being stopped. Not got licence on you ? that's another 100 PGK. Want a receipt ? make that 500 PGK. That's just for expats - locals will have anything of value "confiscated"

To be honest I've never had a bad experience, I've been pulled twice and been treated fairly. Both times I was speeding and was rightly caught, I treated the officers with respect and that was reciprocated.

When I started reading this thread I thought you were referring to "traffic officers" or as I heard from a highway maintenance guy once call them "motorway Wombles" :lol:

ditto on this, I've been pulled doing some stupid things, speed, "over exuberance in front of a group of ladies", being a plonker... Only ever had an issue with patronisation once and I honestly deserved it. It just depends on the way you handle yourself with the officer I think.

As for highways, we refer to them as HIPPOs (Highways Impersonating Proper Police Officers) :D

• Like 1

So say I was doing 150mph and they seen that I was flying it can they give me points or a ban these traffic police ?

"

Anything over 45% of the speed limit nearly always gets you a ban in the UK, unless you can convince the court otherwise.

But no, the police can't ban you, they can only report you.

Edited by Juggalo

But no, the police can't ban you, they can only report you.

That's true, however, since 2013 they can request that a drivers license be suspended if they fail a roadside eye test. Can all be done with a smartphone from the roadside, they contact The DVLA who will confirm that the license is suspended. Also, if the offense is serious enough they can haul you up in front of a magistrate within hours...

Pete

Police stopped 2,000 motorists 'doing over 100mph' in 2014-15

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35654611

Quote: According to the Transport Research Laboratory in Berkshire, which studies driver behaviour, two groups of people are often caught driving at very high speeds.

There are young men - so-called boy racers - but also men in their 40s and 50s who own luxury cars and may do a lot of driving for work.

Phew! Just men then lol

Edited by Kraziekatz1

I guess its new age 'boy-racers' they mean - in financed fiestas etc? the old school type's cars couldnt reach 100 very easily lol.

I understand the middle age men in luxury cars, Audis and BMW's always seem to be travelling quicker than anyone else. Infact my mate has recently bought an Audi. Hes only 30 but since getting it I have noticed he does drive alot quicker than he did in the golf, he came up behind me at about 70 in a 30 last night! (probably because he saw me though tbh)

Thats another thing that annoys me about speed though, I have never been a fast driver, and people actually comment and judge saying 'well you should be going quick if you have a car like that'. But I dont see that owning a 350z means I have to break the law?

Police stopped 2,000 motorists 'doing over 100mph' in 2014-15

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35654611

Quote: According to the Transport Research Laboratory in Berkshire, which studies driver behaviour, two groups of people are often caught driving at very high speeds.

There are young men - so-called boy racers - but also men in their 40s and 50s who own luxury cars and may do a lot of driving for work.

Phew! Just men then lol

Because women cannot do 100mph and do their make up, brush their hair and text their friends at the same time... ;)

Edited by coldel
  • Like 1