Just bought a money pit (hopefully not)

Roscoe

Ok so I just put a deposit down on a p38 Range Rover 4.6 HSE.

Purely for use off road and green lane.

She's got full service history (Land Rover) 18 stamps 125k. Air suspension still works.... Off road tyres already fitted with a sump guard and some metal bumpers to take a winch.

Anyway I will be picking it up Saturday so pictures and more info to follow.

I went for the p38 just because it was the cheapest v8 I could find.

It was £1500 all in with a 10 month mot. The disco's for that price weren't doing it for me. I just like the idea of having some fun on the lanes then wafting home in it. That is if it doesn't break.... 😕

Whilst V8s are great, again, you need to be careful with offroading and water....

Although you can upgrade the dizzy to suitable units - my mate has a V8 90 and you can pour a gallon of water over the engine/dizzy and it won't miss a beat.

Also with greenlaning, make sure you know where and when you can drive and don't go tearing the place up (might be teaching you to suck eggs here)

Whilst V8s are great, again, you need to be careful with offroading and water....

Although you can upgrade the dizzy to suitable units - my mate has a V8 90 and you can pour a gallon of water over the engine/dizzy and it won't miss a beat.

Also with greenlaning, make sure you know where and when you can drive and don't go tearing the place up (might be teaching you to suck eggs here)

To start with I won't be going too mad with it I realise they aren't the best through water etc so deep stuff will be avoided. If I enjoy it that much I may end up selling and changing to something a bit more suitable.

Is there a specific website you can look up all the green lanes in the area with driving times of the year?

Cheers

No, that would be too easy!

A lot of councils publish 'the definitive map' online and you can find out what you can drive from that. They also can show seasonal and permanant TROs (road closed to traffic).

Worth looking at GLASS website though and possible subscribing.

http://www.glass-uk.org/

Some good info and a very active organisation.

• Like 1

‘Bought’ is the past tense of ‘buy’: I bought a new car last week.

‘Brought’ is the past tense of ‘bring’: I brought him a glass of water.

The difference can be remembered easily too, as ‘bring’ shares its first two letters with ‘brought’ (‘br’).

• Like 1

The difference can be remembered easily too, as ‘bring’ shares its first two letters with ‘brought’ (‘br’).

Am I being blind or did someone edit something in the last 15 minutes?

Am I being blind or did someone edit something in the last 15 minutes?

:lol:

I did wonder the same although usually it does say post edited. ;)

So so many people do write brought instead of bought when talking about a purchase on here, drives me absolutely nuts however I can't see any sign of it in this thread!

So so many people do write brought instead of bought when talking about a purchase on here, drives me absolutely nuts however I can't see any sign of it in this thread!

:lol: I dread to think how many times somebody has claimed to have 'brought' something! I think more people now write that rather than bought! It's a relatively minor issue but I find it bloody frustrating. How on earth do people get it wrong!

• Like 1

Ok so today was the shakedown run, we have a couple of faults... As expected with a p38.

One is the heating/cooling fans inside are intermittent, we think it may be the blend motors inside the dash. And the other is one heated seat doesn't work. Not that it really matters.

Air suspension still works even though the nobbly tyres do take away most of the silky smooth ride.

Mpg she was returning 21 at 65-70 on the motorway. Around town today she's returning about 18mpg (but that noise doesn't come cheap)

We did take her round some lanes today so far very impressed.

Winch and rock sliders are on the list for first purchases

https://vimeo.com/1545096390e78d8403c8e36193fe2ce1c13c81ddb.jpg84cc02edce16d53a0a932ca4f109792a.jpg

Christ, don't get a bl**dy winch!

Completely unnecesary and they just get full of muddy water and stop working anyway. Should always go on trips with at least two vehicles (so you can tow each other out if needed) and if you need a winch on a green lane you probably shouldn't be driving it.

Get some decent underbody protection (I can see the steering guard, and rock sliders are good). I'd look at diff guards next.

I'd also raise your breathers - axles and gearboxes - the the top of the engine bay. Snorkle probably not needed - lots of effort to get it fully watertight and you'll have major electrical problems if you're going deep enough to 'need' one.

Get some decent recovery points too - forged Jate rings are known to be good.

• Like 1

Looking at diff guards actually missed that off my list. Like you said probably won't be needing a winch in a hurry especially for green lanes.

Raising the breathers is definitely got to be done, not thinking of going too deep with it but in the event we get caught out.