focus RS (Mk2)

d0minator33

I've always been a huge focus fan and owned a Mk1 RS. I have driven a few Mk2s and I have to say looks aside I'd have one no problem. The revo knuckles don't eliminate the torque steer entirely but it's damn good. A very forgiving front drive chassis and they sound nice.Regardless of other opinions I think Ford make some of the very best front drivers out there for chassis feel and grip.

Edited by Zeezeebaba

Price wise, you would be better off comparing a 370z with a Mk2 FRS surely as they are more similar in value?

Funnily enough I drove a 370 around the same time and IIRC thought the Focus was probably the better car, if you were happy to live with the FWD. Considerably better than the ST of the same era anyway :)

I had a mk2 focus ST before my 370z, great little cars. Few points that made me change to the Z was they are terrible off the line, awesome from 30-40mph onwards though. Also I got bored with how many there were around and they start to all look the same, I wanted something a bit less common. Also I think for the money the RS is, you could get a ST and spend the difference in price modding it and it'll probably be around the 400-500bhp mark, much faster than the standard RS you can get for the same price. But it's all preference at the end of the day, I'll agree in saying the RS looks nicer :)

RWD vs FWD, sports chassis over a shopping trolley chassis. Weight is about the same, but I'd bet on the 350 having a lower CoG and with RWD it'll be able to power out from the corner faster. All assuming stock for stock and same driver, of course.

• Like 2

The only thing I don't like about the Focus RS is that it's a fwd, ...really should have been 4wd imo

My sentiments entirely, i never got why Ford pushed them out as front wheel drive when ever other rally rep on the road was 4wd.

I really like the Rs, but, if it was my money and that was the kind of car i wanted i would have a Impreza Spec C (hatchback if thats the look your after) or equivalent Evo

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/subaru/impreza-sti/forged-438bhp-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-type-uk-hatchback-huge-spec-low-miles/4801812

• Like 1

TopGear test track:

Nissan 370Z 1.27.5

Ford Focus RS 1.29.3

No Z33 times to go by, but how far behind a stock Z34 would a full bolt on/uprev'd 350z with grippy tyres, uprated arb's and braided lines be? Not much if at all.......

I think tg times, ring lap times (particularly horst von saurma) etc offer a good indicator, whilst there are many variables to consider with decent drivers behind the wheel, they are never going to be a million miles away (unless of course its wetter than an otters pocket or snowing ). So if in this example the rs is 2 ish seconds quicker, you know its always a close match, not, the rs is faster full stop end of story.

TG isnt actually a racetrack though, realistically Nordschleife is just a series of big straights with a few corners in between as well. Some other examples though:

Anglesey

Z34 105.2, FRS 106.4, Z33 107.1

Magny Cours club

Z34 127.04, FRS 1.28.06, Z33 1.30.9 (w)

Sachsenring

FRS 143.46, Z34 143.53

My personal opinion would be to look elsewhere. I've only driven a MK2 ST and not an RS but my two main concerns are:

1) Front wheel drive; and

2) The looks/image.

Point 1 has been explained enough and if you love your driving I'm sure it doesn't need any more explaining to you.

Point 2 is of course subjective, but then what is the point of forums without opinionated responses poorly disguised as absolute fact? :p I should probably begin by warning those with a sensitive disposition that Point 2 will be small-minded, stereotyping and probably something'-ist'.

So here we go.

In a photo, positioned in front of a graffiti-stained railway arch and in isolation from anything else, the Mk2 ST looks modern, striking and aggressive. Something a fast car should be. However, stick it on a normal road on a normal day between cars driven by people who: wear jeans that sit properly on their waist; and are capable of positioning a peaked cap at an appropriate angle on their head...and I just think it looks so out of place.

It's very 'look at me' in an incredibly brash and un-stylish way which only highlights the fact that, to most, it is an incredibly chavved up Focus. Those pretend Gallardo rims too... ugh! (now they are ripping off Astons with the current Mondeo... whatever next!?). Unfortunately and despite their eminent capability, I feel the same about Scoobies and Evos. Lamborghinis and certain Ferraris and GT3 Porsches are also very 'look at me', I agree. Can't decide whether I'd look like a c*ck driving one or whether the fact that it's actually a £100k car is some sort of excuse.

If you know me, you'll know I really don't have Zed-tinted glasses but this is one area where I think the Zed does very well. It (together with many other fast/exotic cars) looks sleek, purposeful, sporty but manages to do it in a subtle way. You stand out in a nice way but you don't LOOK like you're trying to.

Which brings me nicely onto image.

Image wise, let's just say every ST I have ever encountered has been driven by someone who came across like they'd just stolen it - both in appearance and road etiquette. And its because of that they have a really terrible image amongst others. A bit like the Saxo VTR (my first car :boxing: ). Disclaimer - I am aware that very, very occasionally these cars are driven by sensible, nice people who also happen to be forum members. :)

This sort of image also lends itself to the aspirations of other youthful miscreants who then idolise cars like the ST. After all it is fast, cheap, usable and will suit the neon lights and DC Shoe Co stickers that they plan to festoon it with for racing each other in B&Q car park. Plus it's name already looks like a shortened word that you'd find in the MSN Messenger Dictionary (90's kids, you know what I mean...) and it could even pass for an acronym of 'Sick Ting' or similar.

As for the RS, It's basically all of the negative bits above but multiplied by several powers of ten.

Ford got everything so, so right with the exterior of that car.

Case in point - he lives in Essex. :stir:

But then maybe I just think all this because I was 19 when I bought my Zed (owned it for four years, turbocharging it in that time too) and I just have a complex about other road users thinking I'm a Boy Racer. I probably looked even sillier when I was driving a Jag.

Finally, for the serious and more useful bit of my post - if you like it, test drive it. If you still like it, buy it and enjoy :teeth: . Some food for thought though, is it really better than everything else here? It's a £20k car after all:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds?Category=used-cars&EnginePowerFrom=300&MaxPrice=20000&MinPrice=18000&Page=1

P.S. Who can tell that I was bored this lunchtime?

• Like 2

Having doubts about the Mk2 RS now also. Saw a really nice white one at the weekend.....owned by an elderly couple in their late 60's. That's totally blown my boy racer image lol

Price......blimin' expensive and a big jump in price from our 2003 Scooby.

Worried it won't be as fast as our Scooby. Interior will be a damn site better though.

Anyone had a Focus ST Mountune?

"Some valid stuff"

You have a point, but the difference is, its an RS, anyone who appreciates cars knows exactly what it is and they know its not a chavved up Focus or even ST.

If anyone turns their nose up at you for driving an RS, they really arent worth worrying about imho.

• Like 1

If you know me, you'll know I really don't have Zed-tinted glasses but this is one area where I think the Zed does very well. It (together with many other fast/exotic cars) looks sleek, purposeful, sporty but manages to do it in a subtle way. You stand out in a nice way but you don't LOOK like you're trying to

All in your opinion of course, I've been told just recently I'm 'a c*cky little p**ck in my porsche' :lol:

• Like 2