RS Clio/Meg, Integra DC5, Abarth 595, Suzuki SS, S2000, VX220

Dynamic Turtle

Interested to hear from people with experience tracking any of the above. Need a cheap beater for circuit work, Budget £6-7k. Had a 350z DE and currently have a 370ZN so no interest there, trying to keep things under 2 litre displacement with emphasis on light weight (<1150kg). High maintenance cars like E36 M3 not really of interest.

Was initially interested in the Integra DC5 but prices has risen rapidly in the last six months (+£2-3k) and many are now north of £10k which is stiff money for a ten year old imported honda.

RS Clio is looking like a good bet around this price range but not driven one yet, would appreciate guidance on the 197s.

VX220 mostly out of budget but it seems like good value and wouldn't need any additional modification.

Abarth 595 on the list (mostly £10k+) because they're small, quick and silly fun. Expensive parts and servicing putting me off, along with seemingly chocolate build quality.

Suzuki SS might be warm rather than a hot hatch but having hired a track prepped one at the nurburgring am now fully aware of what they can do with slicks!

S2000 because of that engine and no stability control but appreciate it's not really designed for track work.

Cheers,

DT

Dc2 is a great shout.

I run an r26r megane and used to use my r26 on track before getting the r26r, very very capable track cars with minimal mods.

I found the 197 a little flat, the weight compared to the 172 and 182s makes a big difference.

S2000 is also a great car with a bit of money spent.

Dc2 is a great shout.

I run an r26r megane and used to use my r26 on track before getting the r26r, very very capable track cars with minimal mods.

I found the 197 a little flat, the weight compared to the 172 and 182s makes a big difference.

S2000 is also a great car with a bit of money spent.

There are 172/182s around for £2-4k and good point about the weight - just checked and the 172 has virtually the same power-to-weight ratio as the 200.

R26R is £18k+ and too much. The R26 seems like a warmed up Megane 225 also turbocharged, aesthetically challenging and, basically not their finest hour in terms of build. My friends 225 spent most of its life in a renault garage. Not heard anywhere near the same level of problems with the 2007+ clio.

2006+ S2000s have £480 tax IIRC which would be a dealbreaker. Would need to be an old one.

Was warned off the DC2 by none other than TGM who said it's simply not worth the hassle with rust, DC5 a better all rounder and lower maintenance. Big fan of the DC5 but prices are getting silly and finding an un-barry'd arctic blue with graphite alloys is tough.

As you know, I have a DC5 which I track and I was just about to say, you should be able to get an early one within budget but after just looking, geez, you are right, they have shot up in price :) Real shame as they are incredible track slags :)

A Clio 172/182 are also superb cars for track. With your budget, I would get a decent condition 182 and then spend some money on getting it setup and running nice. That would be easy to do for a £4k-£5k budget. If you can, get either a 172 Cup or a 182 full fat. The hard part would be to find a nice low mile one but it's possible. Make sure it has had the cam belt and other bits done or factor that in to the price. Just remember, it won't be stupid quick but great on the corners. Another option is the 182 Trophy but just be aware that the Sach suspension needs regular rebuilds.

The S2000 is actually a very capable track car. Very underrated but the early ones are a handful. They can have some adjust done yo make it more predictable, however, trying to find one in budget is going to be tricky. Possible for sure but limited.

If it's going to be purely a track slag, then you know what your best bet would be, an EP3. Great out of the box, Honda reliability, cheap to buy, plenty available, very easy to mod and with a decent tyres, exhaust, induction, brake pads, springs and remap, you would have a very capable and fun track car. Easily within budget with all the mods and you could even afford the premier edition and get the Recaro's. Mine was great on track and never missed a beat.

• Like 1

Just thought of another option. Slightly different but could be an interesting choice. How about a Mini Cooper S? Ok, so they are rather girly but could be good. I've never driven one on track but have driven a few on the roads and they seem quick and handle like a go kart. Still might be pants on track but then again.

As you know, I have a DC5 which I track and I was just about to say, you should be able to get an early one within budget but after just looking, geez, you are right, they have shot up in price :) Real shame as they are incredible track slags :)

A Clio 172/182 are also superb cars for track. With your budget, I would get a decent condition 182 and then spend some money on getting it setup and running nice. That would be easy to do for a £4k-£5k budget. If you can, get either a 172 Cup or a 182 full fat. The hard part would be to find a nice low mile one but it's possible. Make sure it has had the cam belt and other bits done or factor that in to the price. Just remember, it won't be stupid quick but great on the corners. Another option is the 182 Trophy but just be aware that the Sach suspension needs regular rebuilds.

The S2000 is actually a very capable track car. Very underrated but the early ones are a handful. They can have some adjust done yo make it more predictable, however, trying to find one in budget is going to be tricky. Possible for sure but limited.

If it's going to be purely a track slag, then you know what your best bet would be, an EP3. Great out of the box, Honda reliability, cheap to buy, plenty available, very easy to mod and with a decent tyres, exhaust, induction, brake pads, springs and remap, you would have a very capable and fun track car. Easily within budget with all the mods and you could even afford the premier edition and get the Recaro's. Mine was great on track and never missed a beat.

182 Trophy prices have also been on the up for a while and I think it would be more economical to buy the Sachs independently and bolt them on a Cup instead. £8-9k for well maintained examples is a bit stiff...

Noted re S2000, they seem to feature heavily in Nurburgring crash videos :)

Honda EP3 is a great shout but...they just look so monumentally sh*te. Proper bell-end car!

Just thought of another option. Slightly different but could be an interesting choice. How about a Mini Cooper S? Ok, so they are rather girly but could be good. I've never driven one on track but have driven a few on the roads and they seem quick and handle like a go kart. Still might be pants on track but then again.

BMW era Minis are absolutely hateful in every possible way and I want to take a hammer to them all.

Just horrid, horrid things.

That they are. I hated our one, only car I've been glad to see the back of.

Depends on what you want it for, I suppose. Now me, I'm a proper RWD fan, but that doesn't mean I don't love thrashing our 182 whenever I get the chance. That said, as a track car I wouldn't ever dream of having a FWD one. I'd be bored, and as great as the hatches you've mentioned are I know I'd always be having more fun getting the tail sliding and moving the balance around. Even if I was ultimately slower.

One of those fun cars I've ever tracked was an S2000 on mixed tyres at Anglesey. An engine that good is born for the track, and given a Stook is twitchy enough anyway it was such a handful but in a really positive, fun way. If you can get one in budget, then I wouldn't look any further at all. :)

BMW era Minis are absolutely hateful in every possible way and I want to take a hammer to them all.

Just horrid, horrid things.

Well, I do agree with you but just thought I would suggest in case it floats ya boat :)

Depends on what you want it for, I suppose. Now me, I'm a proper RWD fan, but that doesn't mean I don't love thrashing our 182 whenever I get the chance. That said, as a track car I wouldn't ever dream of having a FWD one. I'd be bored, and as great as the hatches you've mentioned are I know I'd always be having more fun getting the tail sliding and moving the balance around. Even if I was ultimately slower.

One of those fun cars I've ever tracked was an S2000 on mixed tyres at Anglesey. An engine that good is born for the track, and given a Stook is twitchy enough anyway it was such a handful but in a really positive, fun way. If you can get one in budget, then I wouldn't look any further at all. :)

I'm so going off you, first it CD's and now FWD :lol: I think I am one of the only few who loves FWD. So love understeer and playing with the throttle, feeling it slide, feeding the throttle and unwinding the steering. I know, I'm on losing battle with this one being on a 350z forum. Hate it when the Elise start moving about at the rear :)

surely you must have a preference for FWD or RWD? as great as a clio might be on track, I just cant see myself every wanting to track a fwd car.

however when the beemer dies (which seems likely) i'm really tempted by an s2000, mainly cos of that engine! completely wasted as a road engine, but would be great on track, revving it out to 9000rpm with legendary VTEC reliability. and the instability of earlier cars doesn't bother me, nothing a decent alignment and some sticky tyres wont sort out. our beemers used to be very twitchy in the wet and can be provoked in the dry, but with decent tyres on its now stuck like glue on all surfaces apart from an inch of water.

I'm so going off you, first it CD's and now FWD :lol: I think I am one of the only few who loves FWD. So love understeer and playing with the throttle, feeling it slide, feeding the throttle and unwinding the steering. I know, I'm on losing battle with this one being on a 350z forum. Hate it when the Elise start moving about at the rear :)

:lol:

No-one 'loves' understeer, it's the spawn of Satan! :p To me, FWD will always feel inferior to any RWD setup, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good FWD.

Just as a thought Mr Turtle, how about a turbocharged mk3 MR2? I know of one for sale for £4K, fully track prepped and will be quicker than anything else on that list.

• Like 1

No-one 'loves' understeer, it's the spawn of Satan! :p To me, FWD will always feel inferior to any RWD setup, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good FWD.

Just as a thought Mr Turtle, how about a turbocharged mk3 MR2? I know of one for sale for £4K, fully track prepped and will be quicker than anything else on that list.

:lol: Not sure I am The Spawn of Satan. Spawn of something unpleasant possibly :lol:

• Like 1

Can't believe how much VX220s have gone up in value, £7k a couple of years back would have given you a fair few 2.2s to choose from. Now you are looking at £9k minimum...maybe I shouldnt have sold mine! Shame as they are proper track cars right out the box, engines are solid as well, basic Vauxhall units which sit in lightweight cars.

What about a turbo/super charged MX5 or MR2?

• Like 2

Get it done.

Agree on the FWD thing as well, while they can be great fun if you can pedal a bit you quite quickly reach the limit of what the car will do, it takes a lot longer in RWD.

Apart from the MR2 (I have an N/A for track giggles and its wicked) an S2K is a damn fine shout, I wouldnt call an M3 high maintenance either (unless you start driving into solid things) :lol:

• Like 1

I'm pretty agnostic about RWD/FWD but given that zed is heavy and RWD I'd prefer a lightweight FWD car just for guano & giggles. The 370 covers me for GT duties but I also want something for epic 20 minute milk runs. My brother's ST mountune is hilarious torque-steering chuckable fun and a completely different experience to the Zed. I really liked the Integra chassis and Abarth 595's overall character (if not the woeful electric steering).

I also want something cheap and low maintenance that I can chuck around a track without worrying too much about writing it off or expensive consumables.

DT

Funnily enough my broski had a MkIII MR2 before the ST. GI appreciate it's a great steer but....just something about it that simply doesn't excite me. A bit like the MX5.

A turbo one stripped out is a whole different kettle of fish, trust me! It would leave a VX for dead, and I say that as an owner of both.

I know what you mean though. An MX-5 with some FI would be a riot, but I don't think it would suit you.