Laying up for 6 months ...

Guest marcw79

Guest marcw79

Not me personally ... But I am considering doing so with my 2006 revup z this year over winter from around October onwards.

I have read a number of bits of advice on this including:

Deep clean and polish and wax of car and dry out thoroughly

Put car on axle stands and remove wheels to storage

Disconnect battery ( though there is a suggestion this can cause problems with some cars ... Not sure if this applies to z's )

Fuel additive and full tank of fuel to reduce spoiling of fuel/tank through evaporation and oxidation

Oil and filter change before and after

Loosen aux belts

Store car in garage (no garage so I can't)

Some sort of dehumidifier in car (would consider dehumidifier packs that you can get in Amazon etc ... Changed frequently)

Good quality car cover

Some suggest removing plugs and turning over engine from time to time ... Don't know why ...

Declare SORN and reduce insurance cover to third party fire and theft

If anyone has any advice or guidance it would be much appreciated ... Thanks in advance ...

Marc

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Don't bother reducing your insurance cover, it makes little to no difference to the premium these days and can even make it more expensive.

It's only six months, but I'd still start her up every two months and let everything flow round for a few minutes.

Guest marcw79

Thanks Dan ... And sure ... Saves a little money but I also do not get the same enjoyment out of the car over winter with wet and icy conditions ... I have a decent company car so it makes sense to use the Z when I can make the most out of it ... Don't get me wrong, I love driving it in all conditions and have done so this year without incident but have not driven it anywhere near as much as I did over summer so it just makes sense to do this at the moment ... That said, I am only considering it at the moment and no firm decisions made yet but wanted to get a better appreciation of what this would involve before I did make a decision.

Get a limited mileage policy for the year rather than trying to reduce the policy to fire and theft, i doubt it would actually make a huge difference anyway just f & f for 6 months.

All the above sounds a bit extreme tbh, wheels off etc. I would just get a decent winter cover (stormforce), put it on a trickle charge and have the odd Sat/Sunday blast and enjoy it when you can imho.

Get a limited mileage policy for the year rather than trying to reduce the policy to fire and theft, i doubt it would actually make a huge difference anyway just f & f for 6 months.

All the above sounds a bit extreme tbh, wheels off etc. I would just get a decent winter cover (stormforce), put it on a trickle charge and have the odd Sat/Sunday blast and enjoy it when you can imho.

Exactly :):thumbs:

I do this every year as its no fun in the ice and my street is on a hill that doesn't get gritted. Works out cheaper and easier to buy a scraper for £400 with a years mot and stick two winter tyres on the front then sell in the summer to recoup my £400. Plus i enjoy having a car i don't care about, great for putting the dog in etc

My winter routine

Sorn it

I just give it a good clean and wax and left on the drive as it doesn't fit n the garage

Let the fuel get down to the light being on so when it gets the better weather i can fill her up with fresh fuel

Try to remember to start her once every trip home an let her run for 5-10min usually just till the rad fan kicks in

leave it parked in gear with the handbreak off, give it a quick shuffle about the drive when its warmed up just to stop the breaks seizing

Give it a service at some point before I plan on putting it back on the road

I know i should put the battery on trickle charge etc but this works for me and batteries are only about £70 so not the end of the world if it dies.

Guest marcw79

Thanks all ... Im just back from Geneva and have seen all the comments ...everyone is helpful and constructive as usual :-). ... Dan at adrianflux; I will be in touch in June about a renewal anyway so will discuss all then ... Thanks again :-)

Mine has been off the road from Sept to March for the last 4 years apart from the odd winter blast. Have a garage which it goes into but I cant then get out the car. Parked on my driveway all winter without a cover and she's fine. Just shut the vents off in the car to keep the moisture levels down. No need to over engineer this.

Edited by Payco

Hi not sure whats right or wrong in this but done this for last year except I did a couple of run outs in it but this time I had it laid up since October and Month later moved it to my new storage and nice dry..! :) I start up every month let it run over till warmed up.

Change of subject Marcw79 Iam I right in thinking yours is Roadster in Azure blue if so Identical to mine :lol: Just need to to get me rays refurbed ready for spring with a nice set of rubber :D