Blob eye wrx

Jimmyflo

I thought about one before getting the Zed. Bug eye is too ugly, hawk eye - too many horror stories of the 2.5 engine. However I saw a few blobs and they're 10 years old and weren't in great shape. Also I wonder if there is too many electrics at that age that could start going wrong and costing lots - put me off in the end.

I guess like anything you get what you pay for and research into. My 21 year old Toyota has so far been utterly fantastic, I wouldn't write off a Jap car because of age. However my perception is that lots of Subaru's are mistreated and driven pretty hard all the time. I guess having a read through on the Subaru forums is a good place to start - my mate had a Subaru and it was faultless in the 3 years ownership.

We had a blobeye widetrack STi.

FWIW don't get the WRX, it's nowhere near as quick as you would hope, not these days. It also has a much weaker gearbox than the STi.

The STi is an immense car. Our was up around 320bhp with the PPP on it, comfy, practical, cheap to run... Oh no wait, that last bit is a lie: 20mpg on a run was about right! :lol: Lovely car though, wish we'd never got rid of it. But yes, as above check for crash damage and rust as well, that can be a killer of these things.

The only thing that's stopping me getting an sti is the price of them, I could get an r32/33 gtr (the other car I'm considering)for the price of a decent sti. The one I've found is 80k stock, 1 owner and fsh so should be looked after. I'm trying to arrange a test drive as I haven't even driven one yet so I might not be impressed with the drive.

Okay, definitely puts you out of blob STi territory then. Personally I'd beg, steal or borrow another couple of £K and get into the STi as it's worth every single penny, but then you may well find the WRX suits your needs just as well and for less. :)

• Like 1

Okay, definitely puts you out of blob STi territory then. Personally I'd beg, steal or borrow another couple of £K and get into the STi as it's worth every single penny, but then you may well find the WRX suits your needs just as well and for less. :)

I have a blob sti for sale in that budget ;)

Ha! The absolute 'I couldnt give a toss' approach to car care. I wonder how long it will take for garages to have it in their process to ensure dash cams are switched off by mechanics before thrashing cars as it seems to be catching them out time and again nowadays.

I have a 2004 blobeye WRX. Had been barely used and was standard when we bought it. A few performance mods and it's running a little better than a stock STi, so can't really see the point of spending the extra dough and upgrading to one. Have you tried Scoobynet? I'm on there also (OB1-SCOOB1E). There are some really nice ones around still that haven't been ragged. I'd stay clear of the exploding 2.5l ones though, have a mate who is an ex-rally co-pilot and he looked after his and the engine still blew up a couple of months ago :(

On my third Scooby, one classic and two blobs. Best cars I have ever owned. A WRX is pretty comparable to a standard Zed in terms of trim and ride. An STi is the next level up so it depends what you are looking for in a car.

What I will say is if you are going to start modding, then either do it cautiously and properly on a WRX or forget it and start at an STi. The WRX will only be happy to go to around 280 - 300bhp on OEM internals until something fails and it usually fails big time. Personally, on a WRX I would only do a filter, exhaust, fuel pump and remap on OEM engine.

It would be nice to know why you want to go from a Zed to a Scooby. If it's for 4 seats and a boot then fair enough. If it's for performance then forget a WRX, you will be disappointed as not a lot in it so go for an STi. As I say, best cars I have ever owned and that includes my Elise and DC5.

• Like 1

On my third Scooby, one classic and two blobs. Best cars I have ever owned. A WRX is pretty comparable to a standard Zed in terms of trim and ride. An STi is the next level up so it depends what you are looking for in a car.

What I will say is if you are going to start modding, then either do it cautiously and properly on a WRX or forget it and start at an STi. The WRX will only be happy to go to around 280 - 300bhp on OEM internals until something fails and it usually fails big time. Personally, on a WRX I would only do a filter, exhaust, fuel pump and remap on OEM engine.

It would be nice to know why you want to go from a Zed to a Scooby. If it's for 4 seats and a boot then fair enough. If it's for performance then forget a WRX, you will be disappointed as not a lot in it so go for an STi. As I say, best cars I have ever owned and that includes my Elise and DC5.

I don't think my WRX is anyway comparable to my zed. Completely different trim and ride! One has raw, in ya face turbo power and AWD. Great for accelerating super fast from stationary and feeling the g-force. Rough interior. The other is refined power that just keeps going, unbelievable handling (when you get it right), much nicer interior. I know which one I get more smiles with....although the Scooby doesn't punish me if I'm having an 'off or tired' day. Both great cars, I'm lucky I have both.....not sure I would swap zed for Scooby!