Physics help please - filling with petrol from a can

brillomaster

so, current method to refuel the track car at lunchtime is use 4 of these cans:

pc400.jpg

screw the hose onto the can, stick the hose in the tank, upturn the can. problem is this takes aaaaages to deposit just 5 litres into the petrol tank.

Question is, would it be quicker to use one of these as well:

719lnKDf3aL._SY355_.jpg

the thing im confused about, does it take ages to fill up because the air can't get out of the cars petrol tank fast enough, or because air cant get in the 5L petrol can i'm trying to fill it from, so it takes ages for the petrol to get out? I'm guessing that since you can fill a 60litre tank from a petrol pump in about a minute, that the slow part is getting the petrol out of the can, rather than getting it in the tank?

much confused, any physics help appreciated! :wacko:

Tell me if I'm wrong but if you poor slowly so that the petrol is horizontal to the cans spout this will allow air in and allow the petrol to flow more freely maybe, also try hold the can so the spout is at the top. Or stick a straw In it and down it ! Haha.

Edited by SHEZZA

Tell me if I'm wrong but if you poor slowly so that the petrol is horizontal to the cans spout this will allow air in and allow the petrol to flow more freely

Yes, there's less distance and therefore less resistance for the air to travel. In NASCAR they use specially ventilated cans to dispense 12 gallons (U.S Gallons) in 6.5 seconds. Cost $25k to buy 4 of these cans :scare: .

Pete

You could insert a small bore plastic tube right to the bottom of the can before you invert it, the other end to atmosphere (make it U shaped)

Can would empty in a few seconds then.

Used to have this problem when trying to decant 25ltr drums of nut/veg oils. Ended up drilling small hole in the bottom of the drum.

The oil would empty at a rate of knots!!!

Use a can like this, 1) it's got more in it 2) It's got a vent to equalise the pressure to allow faster refuelling 3) it's not that expensive and means you have to carry less stuff:

0000_VP_Racing_Square_Jerry_Can.jpg

http://www.demon-twe...48h2BoCUVXw_wcB

you will need to buy a nozzle/hose to go on it too though.

http://www.demon-twe...fuel-containers

Or use one like pete says, ($110 plus $31 for the filler)

0e565867_imsdc11wdbm640x480.jpg

Edited by AliveBoy

You are best off using the 10l jerry can type , its not ideal to store fuel in plastic containers as the uv light can degrade it over time. Also you cant fill anything bigger than 10 litres at the pumps . Its certainly easier to fill with the big jugs though but a nice big funnel will speed things up for you

ah ok, so I need a vented petrol can then... that 20L VP Racing one does look good, although slightly concerned that some petrol pumps don't let you fill things larger than 10litre plastic cans - I thought 20 litre cans were illegal in the UK now?

Shell seem to be the worst for the 10 Ltr rule. (most say two 5s not a single 10 Ltr)

It's a case of finding the "right" petrol station. I get it all the time with the jet ski cans.

Edit... ^^^^^ The VP one are designed to stop UV degradation.

I used to have same problem filling my boat tanks, I'd say either a Jerry can ( I fill my 20ltr at a shell garage no problems at all) or if using the 5ltr plastic cans get the nozzle almost horizontal with a 90 degree bend on the end down into the tank and it should pour straight in once you find the air/fuel "balancing" point. Takes a bit of practice to start with but after that it works every time. :)

I believe that the law says maximum 5 litres in plastic cans and 10 litres in metal cans , I used to use one of these but I bought my race fuel in metal cans anyhow and just decanted it to make it easier to handle

http://www.tooled-up.com/product/high-quality-metal-jerry-can-for-petrol-or-diesel-fuel-red-10-litre/159799/?Referrer=googleproductlisting&gclid=CjwKEAiAws20BRCs-P-ssLbSlg4SJABbVcDplPXP2-CNtNCEtegjrlSV3kOMI8s5XGTaXiImdiLRrBoCp3zw_wcB

There is no actual law that states the size of portable metal fuel containers, only that they must be UN approved. However, the HSE guidelines (which might as well be law!) state that you can use plastic containers up to 10L and metal up to 20L. It's only petrol stations that can determine how much they will allow you to fill, as per their own RA.

Oh yeah, and you can only carry 60L in your car too in portable containers. That's a lot of fuel though!

• Like 1

There is no actual law that states the size of portable metal fuel containers, only that they must be UN approved. However, the HSE guidelines (which might as well be law!) state that you can use plastic containers up to 10L and metal up to 20L. It's only petrol stations that can determine how much they will allow you to fill, as per their own RA.

Oh yeah, and you can only carry 60L in your car too in portable containers. That's a lot of fuel though!

A friend of mine who's a fireman and fire safety officer told me pretty much the exact same thing.

http://www.ebay.com/...S-/361287567276

I have used one of these for years, fantastic things, quick, clean and easy to use. Just get the larger

diameter one, wouldnt be without one now.

Never had issues filling a large container, just leave it in the car when you fill and they wont even see or choose a pump that is difficult for them to see.

Edited by Jetpilot