Car covers

Gus-350z

Hi guys! Just wondering if anyone's had any experience with outdoor car covers before for the 350z?

Unfortunately my mini needs some welding at the moment so is taking up all of my garage space, and I'm having to go away for a few weeks so I'm tempted into getting the zed a cover to keep her out of this miserable weather! But just wondering if anyone's had any experience with them before I start looking into getting one.

Cheers!

They are good ..... If you buy one that's got a lining and is breathable . And the most important thing is the car has to be 100% clean when you put it on .

I have a storm force cover ....... Which will be up for sale tonight ;) only used it once and is only a month old ( don't need it now as i am building a garage )

See for sale section later :)

• Like 1

They are good ..... If you buy one that's got a lining and is breathable . And the most important thing is the car has to be 100% clean when you put it on .

I have a storm force cover ....... Which will be up for sale tonight ;) only used it once and is only a month old ( don't need it now as i am building a garage )

See for sale section later :)

Thanks mate, I'll keep a look out for it!

Ye make sure its breathable. A huge factor otherwise your paint work will be shot. Knew a guy once who put one on his newly built kit car and was non breathable. In two weeks the paint and every GRP panel had blistered. Nasty.

And the most important thing is the car has to be 100% clean when you put it on .

That's not very useful then - you have to wash the car every time you park it and want to cover it?

I probably won't bother if it's just for everyday use.. Just I'm going away for a short while so it'll make sense to put it on once then hopefully come home and uncover the car as I left it! :teeth:

And the most important thing is the car has to be 100% clean when you put it on .

That's not very useful then - you have to wash the car every time you park it and want to cover it?

Yes otherwise when the car cover moves when the wind blows it will drag any grit/dirt etc on your car with it, thus scratching your paint.

If you use a car cover properly it will protect your pride & joy, ...if you don't use it properly then it will ruin your pride & joy. :thumbdown:

• Like 1

Yes otherwise when the car cover moves when the wind blows it will drag any grit/dirt etc on your car with it, thus scratching your paint.

If you use a car cover properly it will protect your pride & joy, ...if you don't use it properly then it will ruin your pride & joy. :thumbdown:

Balls. I really am going to have to get a garage that fits my zed :(

Covers are good if you only intend to use the car once in a blue moon, had one on my VX220, went for the four layer Halfords one and it quite happily did the job for 6 months no scratching or breathing problems, perfectly fine. Clearly though as above made sure she was spotless before covering.

I'm more a fan of a decent detail to protect it than a cover , the idea of that wind rubbing the cover around on my paintwork would keep me up at night

And this is why the car needs to be clean before putting the cover on .

Wouldn't be good enough for me, my white paint is so soft and it marks too easily. I use an indoor cover if i'm parking the car for a couple of weeks to protect it from dust and clumsy kids getting ice out of the freezer but the car has to be fully detailed before i put it on and the cover is not going to move about in my garage.

Not everyone is as fussy as me though

Balls. I really am going to have to get a garage that fits my zed :(

Definitely get a garage if you can, ;)

...otherwise there is another cheaper option available to you that you may want to consider? :dry:

Inflatable_car_storage_tent_inflatable_car_garage.jpg

:D

Or cheaper still stick it in an old poly tunnel.

E1E53AE5-6678-4DA7-A05E-6EC0E9DCC0F6_zpsoutyja1f.jpg

Edited by SHEZZA
  • Like 1

^^ Not sure the poly tunnel's a cheaper option than the inflatable garage bubble but it is most definitely a cooler option SHEZZA. B):D

Haha your right it's one of my old mans from when he was into market gardening so it's free. Bought the new 3m sliding doors for it though as it used to have a single door and a couple of opening lights. Comes ready equipped with lights power and mains gas for a heater.

• Like 1

As a detailer i'll tell you now.......you're better leaving it uncovered.

I don't care how good your cover is....It'll move. Movement equals chafing.

I spend a lot of time machining out marks left by £500 bloody ermin fur lined velvet covers sewn together with the strings from an angels harp and sealed with the tears of an otters dreams.......same story every time.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

This is a fairly extreme example but this was on a 75k Stradale with a VERY expensive cover on it.

The horrific scratching was caused buy a small piece of grit (say 1mm) getting under the cover.

The general swirling was caused just by movement from the wind.

This was after 3 weeks under a cover

20151207_111501_zpsdxg32wxc.jpg

20151207_102537_zpsatmblnio.jpg

20151207_111302_zpsz4vcmmj1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ricey. You obviously are an honerable gent or you would be championing the cover in your local area and cashing in on the work later. Thats put me off a cover. I had a very similar problem with bird poo on my previous black car. I thought a damp sponge would remove it so a few swirls later i had scratches everywhere due to the grit in it. That was a harsh lesson learned in my younger days. Black cars seem to show it up twice as bad

Ricey. You obviously are an honerable gent or you would be championing the cover in your local area and cashing in on the work later. Thats put me off a cover. I had a very similar problem with bird poo on my previous black car. I thought a damp sponge would remove it so a few swirls later i had scratches everywhere due to the grit in it. That was a harsh lesson learned in my younger days. Black cars seem to show it up twice as bad

The trouble is for this guy he's got half a million of metal on the drive and the choice between crows pecking and scratching the hell out of it or putting a cover on it and swirling it to buggery!

Either way £££££