Streaming a webcam

Ekona

Oh dear god this thread has the possibility of going downhill very quickly, and I know no-one will believe my reasons for this but I'm going to ask anyway :lol:

I've never streamed a webcam in my life. I have precisely zero idea how to do it, what I need, who to go with etc. Anyone have any idea or recommendations for me at all? Basically I want to set one up in the mancave to keep an eye on the cats and see how they interact during the day, and even a dumb always-on with no record or motion detection would do me I think (unless there's compelling reasons to go that route) as I'm quite happy just to drop in and drop out of the viewing during the day. It might be nice to set it to record when I leave the house and then stop it when I come home, if that's easy enough to do though.

Quality doesn't have to be amazing, I'm guessing that 720p would be fine. Audio isn't needed right now, just video. Budget? Well, I guess I can go to about £50 for the cam but I'd ideally like to keep the software side free if possible. In terms of security I'd want to keep it so that people can't just view it unless I give them access, however I'd want to view from any browser. I don't have a static IP either, which I know makes life interesting.

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated. :)

as I understand it ........... there are some "interesting" websites that stream stuff all day and night long - might be worth doing some "research" on those ;)

but i would recommend clearing your browsing history afterwards ........... I mean, you don't want there to be any "mis-understanding" do you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure this the right place to start a career, but hey ho. Have you thought of a screen name yet :lol:

Tenner says it features the word rubber. Start with small objects and be hygienic PLEASE.

Curiously I was chatting to mate in SF and she has a webcam and companion iPhone app which streams her living room so she can watch her dog during the day (or boyfriend when he forgets it is on and settles down with babestation). It has some sort of laser on it so you can "play" with the pet during the day. To be honest, it looked more like it pi**ed it off, but she seems to enjoy it :lol: You can even watch other people's if they allow it - crazy kids these days eh?

Have you had a look in the App Store? PetCube seems to be a thing but there's others like iCam or Cam2Pet

• Like 1

You can get a decent IP camera for around 80 quid, which you can watch/access 24/7 via your phone.

I remember I was chatting to a guy from Choice security and he has one at his house. He paid £80 for his (that was like 1.5years ago) and showed to me on his phone - quality was good and works well for security reasons as well, as you can set it up for motion detection and once motion is detected it constantly takes pictures and sends them straight to your email.

For the sofware side you wont go wrong with "YawCam", its free and with a couple of clicks of a button you will be up and running immediately. You can then access the streamed video on any device simply by inputting the relevant IP address, I have been using YawCam for years for various little jobs and its never let me down.

Works with most webcams and IP Cams.

I don't use Synology, it's not flexible enough for my needs so I use UnRAID for my NAS.

I wouldn't want to run it on the NAS really either, as I'd prefer to keep that separate from this system. My desktop has a few spare disks in I can use for storage, should I want to record anything.