Star Wars - The Force Awakens Discussion *SPOILERS*

marzman

I wonder when someone will make a film that is not based on comic book characters, not that I don't like the movies but its all getting a bit out of hand!

The more I talk about Star Wars with people catching up and watching it, the less I get excited about it, it was a bit samey and thus predictable. Although in relative terms way ahead of the three prequals.

Watching Kingsman the other week, what a film, one of the best I have seen in years.

• Like 1

I do kind of agree about Star Wars. I mean it was good and as you say, better than the prequals, but I wasn't like, oh wow, this is mind blowing. Even Darth Maul made me go, oh wow which I was hoping Kylo Ren would do but he just came across as a bit of a stroppy wimp. He should of kept his mask on for the whole film to add to the mystery of his character. Ray was good but I didn't really care about Fin or that fighter pilot who kept looking at Fin in an odd way :)

As film I saw last night that was brilliant was Argo. Had no idea what to expect or when it was made but it was brilliant.

Kylo Ren was quite possibly the worst sith ever, I reckon I could have had him using just a rolling pin instead of a light sabre. And yes, should have kept the mask on...

I reckon he was more worried about his hair and image than being a bad ass Sith Lord. Can you imagine him standing up next to Darth Maul. Maul would be thinking, who's this pretty boy then :lol:

For any of the comic book fans out there, I saw the trailer for Batman v Superman when going to see new Star Wars* but have I missed something? Superman is, well err, super. He shoots lasers out his eyes, super strong, super fast, can genuinely fly and defeated three other Supers in Superman 2.

Batman is a man in a very elaborate fancy dress costume. He'd last all of about 9 seconds in a punch up with Superman, even with kryptonite knuckle dusters. I mean, he could barely overcome a man whose superpower was speaking unintelligibly.

*I enjoyed new Star Wars except for the learning to use a light sabre in 5 mins, to a level that would occupy a sith for more than 10 seconds. And Leia/Fisher was awful, they'd have been better off leaving her out.

Going off topic a little - Been working my way through the 2016 Best Picture Oscar Nominees

seen 3 so far

Bridge of Spies - Good movie, typical solid Tom Hanks performance 8/10

The Big Short - Very Good and will scare the sh*t out of you on how banks can be so irresponsible - both Bale and Steve Carrells characters are superb 9/10 - saw a dodgy copy in Hanoi last week just in case I get comments its not released in UK yet !

The Martian - Best Movie I have seen for years, its sad, hilarious at times but utterly compelling 10/10 - probably won't win as its up against non fiction movies.

Going off topic a little - Been working my way through the 2016 Best Picture Oscar Nominees

seen 3 so far

Bridge of Spies - Good movie, typical solid Tom Hanks performance 8/10

The Big Short - Very Good and will scare the sh*t out of you on how banks can be so irresponsible - both Bale and Steve Carrells characters are superb 9/10 - saw a dodgy copy in Hanoi last week just in case I get comments its not released in UK yet !

The Martian - Best Movie I have seen for years, its sad, hilarious at times but utterly compelling 10/10 - probably won't win as its up against non fiction movies.

Cheers for the heads up Mudman, will check those films out. Having a big film watching session at the moment so welcome any recommendations.

Surprised there is not a thread about the last movie a person watched to be honest with a quick review.

• Like 1

Kylo Ren was quite possibly the worst sith ever, I reckon I could have had him using just a rolling pin instead of a light sabre. And yes, should have kept the mask on...

I reckon he was more worried about his hair and image than being a bad ass Sith Lord. Can you imagine him standing up next to Darth Maul. Maul would be thinking, who's this pretty boy then :lol:

It's very easily explained in just two words too;

Disney villain.

Even ignoring Abrams ineptitude at all things film, Disney was never going to let Kylo Ren be another Maul or Vader. I mean, they didn't even give him a theme tune...

• Like 1

It's very easily explained in just two words too;

Disney villain.

Even ignoring Abrams ineptitude at all things film, Disney was never going to let Kylo Ren be another Maul or Vader. I mean, they didn't even give him a theme tune...

Damn, you are so on the money with this.

• 4 weeks later...

I've only just seen the new SW.

It was fairly decent I thought. Not sure about Adam from "Girls" playing a deranged dark force mofo.

Why don't they have big people in films any more with muscles? Bring back the 80s.

The guy is 6'3" but he's a streak of urine.

Chewy hasn't aged a bit the dirty old fuzz ball.

Bet Luke at the end was like "ffs. All I want is piece and quiet. Read my paper 'n that. But no"

Wonder if they have intergalactic Jehovahs Witnesses a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Anyway. Decent watch.