Engine rattle and grind noise worry

Devvny

Hello,

Was looking for some advice before I'm able to get her to a garage but going out for a little drive today and I'm getting a horrible grinding sound when taking my foot off the accelerator. I can't replicate this sound when I'm not moving. The only changed made today were checking my oil level and inflating my tires a bit.

Performance seems totally normal however I'm scared I'm doing damage just by driving her at this point.

Over the last 3 weeks since a service iv also noticed my oil pressure won't rise above 40 psi even at high revs and I'm not sure if this could be related.

If anybody has any suggestions or tests I could run please let me know,

Thanks

Hi thanks for the replies, in honesty I thought the oil level looked okay however the contorted dipstick did leave me with doubts. My HKN cold air induction hangs real close to the hole and I think it was smearing on it every time I pulled it out.

I think we may be onto the issue here though, during my drive to work I noticed my oil light flash on for a second and then go off again. I will check my oil levels again while on lunch and give her a top up.

The service place was called in-n-out, I should of been wary as it was pretty cheap.

Also prior to service oil pressure was idling pretty low at around 15PSI however traveled up to 90PSI under revs.

Edited by Devvny

What grade oil was in it before the service, and what was put in it at the service? if it had been a higher viscosity before and a lower viscosity used at the service, that could account for the oil pressure readings...although a drop of say 10w40 to 10w30 shouldn't make that much difference.

oil light flashing on an off is a definite sign that something is amiss... yep best to check the oil when the engine is stone cold on a nice level surface. if it needs topping up it should have some decent fully synth 5w-30 oil. Although that said, any fully synth oil is better than no oil.

Hi,

Checked the dipstick again and from what I could see the oil barely reached the "L" level so I have Just topped up 500ML of Castrol 5w30 and checking the dipstick it appears to be at the "h" level now if not a little bit beyound but I'm struggling to check the level with much accuracy as it just seems to smear up as soon as it's pulled out. :rant:

Turned the engine over and started fine with no noises or rattles, idle pressure was at around 30PSI with a cold engine. I won't be able to check the noise again until the drive home so I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all the replies!

Also, won't be able to get under it and check the sump plug until the weekend. It's too dark when I get home and it's too low to get under without a jack.

Edited by Devvny

it does indeed take a while to get a decent reading with the dipstick, but it can be done. If you suspect a leak i'd be checking it every day, i'm sure you'll get used to the dipstick! Also I would hazard a guess that the second reading is incorrect, im sure it takes more than 500ml to to up from low level to high level.

Hi,

The good news is since topping up with some quality 5w30 the noise has stopped, my 50 minute commute home with Windows open has proven that.

The oil pressure is also looking alot more healthy idling at just under 30psi and 60ish psi while driving gentle. (I'm still a bit scared to take the revs too high)

The annoying thing about it all is that it was serviced around 3 weeks back at in-n-out, I should have ran a mile when the guy behind the desk said "we don't usually get cars like that here" and the fact it was an into offer and cost me 20 quid ha. Think I'll get it another service soon, who knows what shite they put in.

Also thanks for all the posts and advice, I'm embarrassed I couldn't read the dipstick accurately so thanks for making me double check.

These cars are not cheap to run, and get very, very expensive if you skimp on servicing. My advice would be to take your car to a good independent (driving there with low revs) and get them to do a 'proper' oil and filter change.

In your general location there has been continuously good feedback about Lockwood & Greenwood from members on here:

http://www.lockwoodandgreenwood.co.uk/contactus

Others on here may be able to tell you of others nearer to you

Another quick one, are you running it on super unleaded petrol? it doesn't get on well with the standard stuff...

Its not a case of not running well, you wont actually notice any difference in the car or its performance. Just one day it might go boom.

• Like 1