Beginner mods?

Force-V4

Hey guys and gals, newb from southern Ireland who recently picked up a 2006 350 Gt, my query if anyone would be so kind to answer , is whats a good starting point for more power without breaking the bank? A rolling road tune would be fantastic but unfortunately here its just too far! So far she's been given a full service, I've redone the flaking wheels in BMW A32 Sepang Bronze, ordered carbon eyebrows, some new Nismo badges and black repeaters, after lots of research I've also ordered the JWT popcharger purely for the nice induction roar. I've read umpteen articles here and have been very close to ordereding a set of decat pipes off ebay. I dont want a loud car, just to release a few extra ponies for giggles.... :D I own a garage here so labour isnt an issue, I just dont want to pump a fortune into it is all, a few choice cost effective mods would be great! Thanks all, Jay

here she is at the mo....

12341016_10154393783604535_4089542516050236943_n.jpg?oh=56c9e77e7d694eb3cf0d53140ed44826&oe=56DE9148

Someone will say it at some point , so i'll say it first. Make it lighter!! Which might make it noisier or more difficult to live with but it is one option and costs you nothing. So get a hair cut, wear thinner socks, clip your nails take a @*!# and throw out the space saver.

• Like 1

350's have an intelligent ECU. Without a remap any gains you get will be pulled back to stock levels by the ECU in a few weeks.

Also fitting the JWT will actually lose you power. Tests have shown the 06+ oem airborne is the most efficient.

Cheers for the proof then.....

Trufax matey. Proof is in the 100's of us who've done it and seen nish improvement.

Bear in mind even the assorted 'usual' mods only see about 30bph increase after a remap.

Pop chargers always make me smile when people say they've seen no improvement........if anything they ale the car lose power

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I understand the concept of wai compared to the OE air box, which tbf is about the same for most n/a cars.

I was after back up that to the statement about the ecu removing any gains you initially had from breather mods.

I'm asking as I've searched and only found hear says........

Edited by davey_83

Unfortunately I am unable to spend the time searching right now due to recent events.

However as suggested above - call Mark at Abbey Motorsport as he has dyno'd numerous cars pre and post mods.

My original source of the information was the boss of ESR. Unfortunately following a serious illness he is barely a shell of his former self, and doesn't even remember he owned one of the most popular performance garaged in the North East, never mind specific details about cars he worked with.

Talk to a tuner about weather or not our ecu's remove gains from a engine with breather mods, thus promoting the need for a remap? Yeah ok......

Fair enough pal.

I don't believe for a moment that a more free flowing exhaust system,

air box mod with aftermarket panel filter and plenum spacer, 99 Ron fuel (possibly alot better than what was readily available back when the 350z first came out) won't provide lasting gains.

David

Talk to a tuner about weather or not our ecu's remove gains from an engine with breather mods, thus promoting the need for a remap? Yeah ok......

Fair enough pal.

air box mod with aftermarket panel filter and plenum spacer, 99 Ron fuel (possibly alot better than what was readily available back when the 350z first came out) won't provide lasting gains.

David

Talk to a tuner about weather or not our ecu's remove gains from an engine with breather mods, thus promoting the need for a remap? Yeah ok......

Fair enough pal.

David

It's common knowledge throughout the modding world that ecu's knock back breather mods to original settings.....hence the need for remapping the ecu. They're factory set to do a specific job

Talk to a tuner about weather or not our ecu's remove gains from a engine with breather mods, thus promoting the need for a remap? Yeah ok......

Fair enough pal.

David

You don't want to speak to an expert who has he data to back it up and you don't want to listen to amatuers who've been there and done it.

No offence pal but what are you actually looking for? none of us own a rolling road.

Inwas only half joking matey.

I'm saying engine mods do add power is all.

Do all breather modded 350z that turn up for a remap initially make stock power or a touch more?......nMy findings are *speaking peak power only, a remap shows gains circa 10bhp and a healthy DE can make 300bhp+ so prior to the uprev the engine did show gains from mods alone........

If I'm missing something, please do explain.

David

Edited by davey_83

What I think it is, is that especially with the DE they add such a piffling amount before and even after a remap only a moderate improvement.

Before the remap I think it's hardly noticeable. We had a thread by some guy who had near word for word done the same mods you listed above and was complaining he felt no improvement.

High RON fuel makes no difference to power output. Plenum spacers allows more air to back 2 cylinders, velocity stack gets the air in quicker and more turbulent but unless the ECU knows how to fuel the engine to make the best of all of this then it will be pretty marginal I reckon.

I thought the uprev gave about 20-30 BHP increase? Hardly seems worth the bother if it was only 10 BHP.

i agree, stock ecu can only allow for a set amount. plenum, velocity stack and exhaust do allow the engine to breather better and in order to try and maintain the set afr the ecu will have to add fuel to the extra air - thus a little more power seems fair to me.

I think you're misunderstanding what actually happens.

Sure, breathing mods DO add power, but only if you remap for them to fool the stock ECU. Much like Lotus ECUs, when the 350 realises it's doing more than it should, it does some electrickery within itself and backs things off until it's making the exact same power it should be. It's likely a timing thing as that's easy to do rather than aiming for AFRs I would imagine (that's my own take on it), but however it does mean that in just a couple of weeks you'll be back exactly where you started. An Uprev remap or aftermarket ECU cancels all that out, and will let you keep the gains you've got.

It's not the mods we're questioning, it's the stock ECU.

• Like 1

depends how the ecu works. it will see the greater air flow. so either it will squirt in more fuel to match, or it will restrict the air flow to match the amount of fuel it wants to inject. i get the impression it does the latter, it learns over time that it now needs to open the air flow less to get the same amount in. it's not until you do a remap to tell it to squirt more fuel in to match that you see the benefits.

it might work the other way if the throttle was physically connected, but it's fly by wire so it gets to chose what it does with the air flow and the fuel injection.

once again i'm no mechanic, but i am a programmer so i can see how the system might be designed in a few different ways, and from what i've read so far it seems that the ecu will wipe out any performance gains of mods as it learns how to do things the way it was mapped to do things.

• Like 1