Help from peple using akebonos

OllyB

I may have made a c*** up. I've got an akebono brake kit to fit to my 350. Will this kit fit under standard rays? Everyone I spoke to seemed confident they would but i've found a few threads on other forums that suggest they dont. Anyone running these brakes with rays?

Edited by OllyB

Hi Mark. I've found lots of info saying the touring wheels fit and just assumed that the rays would as they are less chunky but I've found a few saying they don't. I'll have to get a template made and check... Don't really want to add spacers.

Edited by OllyB

I googled this and there is a picture of a set of grey Akabono's with a Rays wheel.My iPad wouldn't let me copy and paste the link as it was a sub menu.Plenty of pics with the GT wheel as that was standard OEM in the States.

Of course the 17" steel space saver will not fit the Akebono fronts.

IMG_6163_zpscawogjjz.jpg

(powered up colossus in the office)

Edited by Shenley

That's good to hear. Looks like I'll have a set of brembos for sale rather than the akebonos....

Hell who am I kidding, would have been a good excuse for new wheels...

Edited by OllyB

• 1 month later...

Ok, I know its taken me a while but finally got the last few bits to do this and thought for piece of mind I'd check the clearances with the template.

IMAG0441_zpszsr61t1z.jpg

Doesn't look like I'm going to be in luck.....

Might just try a trial fit......

I googled this and there is a picture of a set of grey Akabono's with a Rays wheel.My iPad wouldn't let me copy and paste the link as it was a sub menu.Plenty of pics with the GT wheel as that was standard OEM in the States.

Of course the 17" steel space saver will not fit the Akebono fronts.

IMG_6163_zpscawogjjz.jpg

(powered up colossus in the office)

Just an observation looking at that pic, but to me when zooming in there looks to be a spacer fitted?

Yea I agree, appears to have a spacer, it's not the clearence on the spokes that worries me tho, seems to be enough, it's the internal diameter of the wheel that's causing the most concern. Looking at the photo I posted you can see the lug holes are way out.

Damn, Olly, wasn't expecting that. So do you reckon spacers won't help, is the diameter smaller where it touches than the rest of the wheel?

That is what i was trying to say in my post, i thought the inside of the wheel got wider towards the hub edge.

I don't think a spacer will held much, there pretty uniform across the wheel, I might pack a few washers onto the studs to see if it makes a difference, looked like it was going to be ok untill I got the lug nuts tight....

Damn, Olly, wasn't expecting that. So do you reckon spacers won't help, is the diameter smaller where it touches than the rest of the wheel?

That is what i was trying to say in my post, i thought the inside of the wheel got wider towards the hub edge.

So do you think it's wider closer to the hub or further away from it?