New battery.... Obd port dongle draining it ?

Bodyboarder81

Hi all , went to start the zed this morning and just turned over once and died .... Think I need a new battery . I suppose it's nearly 8 years old and sits there for 2 weeks at a time with out going for a drive .

What battery would people recommend and where to get from ?

Thanks

Edited by Bodyboarder81

I purchased a Optima battery yesterday (not fitted yet so can't give a report), thread from yesterday is here: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/103830-optima-spiral-cell-batteries-what-size-for-350z/

I wanted to try a spiral cell technology battery (below's a copy and paste from an info site)

SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY INTRODUCTION

SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY is built to make batteries more vibration-resistant, have higher starting power and quicker recharge, while having a longer life expectancy than flat plate batteries.

SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY is built with a SIX PACK® cell design that’s made of absorbent glass mat plates, which hold the acid inside to make the batteries 100% spill proof. The unique cell design has an internal structural advantage that helps it hold its shape even under harsh weather conditions, corrosion and heavy vibrations, which traditional batteries are not built to withstand.

SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY cells are made of pure lead, allowing the battery to recharge faster and hold its voltage for longer as it discharges.

SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY APPLICATIONS

Batteries with SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY are a great premium choice for vehicles with large power demands, and for people who seek greater reliability and expect a longer life in their batteries. Accessory-loaded vehicles, high-demand electronic or audio systems, trucks with winches, and boats with trolling motors—all add to the demand on a battery, and require one that’s designed to deliver more power than traditional batteries.

Not only do batteries with SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY have up to twice the life expectancy, they also have the strongest starting power in their class. If you are using your vehicle in harsh environmental conditions, they are 15 times more vibration-resistant.

To get the most out of your battery, batteries with SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY have a unique design that protects against corrosion, damaging vibrations, acid leakage and harsh weather conditions. They recharge faster and deliver more recharges than a traditional battery, so they can be brought back from deep power drains, perfect for deep-cycle applications.

SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY CONSTRUCTION

Batteries with SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY have a case that is completely sealed to withstand rough handling and harsh environments. 
Built using precision plastic welding techniques, the case is completely sealed, forming a one-piece, airtight package. Tightly compressed cells allow mounting in multiple positions without leaking or damaging your vehicle.

The making of SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY batteries is a unique process of spiral-winding continuous lead plates, which is tightly controlled and more expensive than building traditional batteries, but offers higher quality and performance.

It was £134 delivered so a bit dearer than the cheap n cheerful offerings. But hey my Zed's worth it ;) (and I do lots of short journeys that probably fubar a regular battery).

S.

......just a thought .... I have my obd port wifi dongle plugged in and have left it it for a while . Could this be a cause of draining my battery ? As my phone picks up the wifi signal from the house so I guess it must be live ?

I left mine in by accident for a couple of weeks with it parked up, flat battery.

• Like 1

......just a thought .... I have my obd port wifi dongle plugged in and have left it it for a while . Could this be a cause of draining my battery ? As my phone picks up the wifi signal from the house so I guess it must be live ?

I left mine in by accident for a couple of weeks with it parked up, flat battery.

OBD is constant live. So yes, anything plugged in will sap that battery!!

Think I may have solved the problem ! I'll whip it out tomorrow and jump the car and see how it goes :)

It may well start but there's a strong chance that it won't hold its charge. I'm on my 3rd battery and the first one lasted about 2 weeks after I got it started and gave it a good run. The strain on the battery at this time of year is very high with lights, heater, heated seats, etc and it'll only get worse when the real cold weather arrives.

Pete

Yep, answered your own question - if its broadcasting, its draining power - OBD isn't passive like the cigarette lighter Power Supply so I'd get into the habit of removing it when you go away for work etc.