Hoverboards!

Squee

Has anyone had a play on one of these hoverboard thingies that seem popular on gadget sites?

They look pretty good fun and I'm tempted to get one as a toy and a method of short distance transport for journeys slightly too long to walk but too short to justify firing up the zed. I know they're illegal when not on private land but to be honest I'm not overly concerned about that.

I have read some reports of the chargers for them bursting into flames and burning houses down but that's been blamed on the chargers not having fuses (probably the cheapo chinese knock offs) but surely they can be retro-fitted with fuses?

Also, do you 'balance' on them like one would a snowboard? I started snowboarding last year and would benefit from something which I can use year-round which has the same principals.

Thanks all!

S.

Edited by Squee

I know they're illegal when not on private land but to be honest I'm not overly concerned about that.

Aren't they illegal to use in public?

Sorry for being the boring grown up

:wacko:

Lol my bad. Must have skipped over that bit

Edited by jimboy2
  • Like 1

I looked at these and thought they'd be brilliant for snowboard 'practice'.

I've not been on one (hover board) but from what I've seen, they're controlled by transferring your weight between heels and toe. Just like snowboarding!

Not sure they're a viable short distance commuter option though Squee. Bit like Minimotos - illegal to use on the roads and also illegal on the footpath. :lol:

• Like 1

A work colleague of mine has bought one of these for his 12 year old son for Christmas.

He firstly bought one from China (as the price was around £100 cheaper than the UK) but that never got through customs so he got his money back, ...he then bought one from a UK seller and it cost him £350 delivered.

Personally I think that's a bit much to spend on a child at Christmas especially on just one present but that's up to him. I'd be more concerned though about where his son is even going to use it tbh.

Anywhere but private land and I'm sure he'll be in trouble if he's spotted on it by the Police.

If I was you Squee why not consider looking at a 50cc Moped for those short trips as you'd be able to pick one up secondhand for the same sort of money & at least that's legal transport, ...plus as an adult you won't look half as stupid as you would riding one of those "hover boards". :lol: Only imo of course. :D;)

• Like 1

I had a go on one a couple of weeks ago and, as you, I was expecting it to be similar to snow boarding but it wasn't. With snowboarding you need to balance but these balance for you. There are switches below the heel and toes which you put pressure on to move. Sounds weird but is actually quick easy and intuitive but works differently to a Segway for example. Quite fun though and easy to use but simpler and less painful than snowboarding :)

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies all!

Jumping350 - that video is awesome and makes me even more determined to get one :p

A work colleague of mine has bought one of these for his 12 year old son for Christmas.

He firstly bought one from China (as the price was around £100 cheaper than the UK) but that never got through customs so he got his money back, ...he then bought one from a UK seller and it cost him £350 delivered.

Wow, that's interesting to hear. Do you know why it didn't make it through customs?

If I was you Squee why not consider looking at a 50cc Moped for those short trips as you'd be able to pick one up secondhand for the same sort of money & at least that's legal transport, ...plus as an adult you won't look half as stupid as you would riding one of those "hover boards". :lol: Only imo of course. :D;)

don't worry, if I get one I'll be sure to get a selfie-stick too so I look like a real cool kid :p

interesting idea about the moped. But there's all the faff then of doing a CBD and having something else to tax and insure. I don't wish to sound like a reckless rule breaker but I'm not too fussed by the illegality - I live in a semi rural village where the local police are rarely seen and if they did spot you on it would probably turn a blind eye as long as you weren't mowing people down with it. I can see why in busy areas they would cause a menace however. Shame the powers at be can't just have a common sense style rule with toys like this rather than an out and out 'ban' on them being on the road.

I had a go on one a couple of weeks ago and, as you, I was expecting it to be similar to snow boarding but it wasn't. With snowboarding you need to balance but these balance for you. There are switches below the heel and toes which you put pressure on to move. Sounds weird but is actually quick easy and intuitive but works differently to a Segway for example. Quite fun though and easy to use but simpler and less painful than snowboarding :)

oh that's interesting to hear. So would you say that the heel and toe aspect is similar to snowboarding? I am still VERY much a beginner with snowboarding and have very little confidence after I took a nasty tumble when I went (on my first) snowboarding trip earlier this year.

Cheers again all!

S.

Wow, that's interesting to hear. Do you know why it didn't make it through customs?

No idea sorry and I don't think he knows why either. :shrug: He just told me the seller (from Amazon) had said it was stuck at customs so he got his money back.

Also regarding the moped idea I'm not sure how old you are sorry Squee (maybe you're younger than I thought) but if you have a full UK driving licence and passed your test before 2001 AFAIK you don't need to do a CBT as long as it's a 50cc moped or below.

Still would need insurance & road tax though as you mentioned.

What about an electric/pedal bike?

Perfectly legal to use on the roads and the range on them is pretty good (definitely further than the hover board). Just an idea. ;)

Link: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/coyote-energy-electric-bike