Official bhp v remap bhp and insurance companies

Irn Bru

The assesor would need uprev software and at that point could find out if the car has a license to be fair, most likely scenario would be they would employ a tuner (horsham, abbey) etc to check, but as you say, would have to be pretty serious for them to go to those lengths.

Which is probably what they'd do if they were looking at a claim of £500K if you cripple a baby for life. Couple of grand spent investigating is nothing, and then they get to come after you for that £500K...

It's no different to driving the Ring, you're uninsured there too and your insurer will happily come after you for the costs if you have an accident.

Agreed, which is pretty much what it says in my post :)

I would argue that a modder is far from being a hooligan, although there are some out there, I would argue that someone who puts money into a car that doesn't increase its value as we all know to any great degree against an unmodified car of the same make and model, is more likely to drive sensibly more often than a chav in a corsa and I'm not talking about 18 year olds. Piling your hard earned dough and your weekends into making your car unique surely says your gona look after it and not drive like **** !!!!!!

I agree, but unfortunately the insurance companies see it like this...

Because modifications are modifications and most companies will charge extra for them,

I remember when I was 19. I had a 1972 classic 850cc old mini which cost me £20 to buy. I spent every spare moment I had and every spare penny turning into a rally replica. Full 6 point roll cage, alloy wheels, uprated brakes, bucket seats, stripped out interior etc. But I couldnt afford a better engine. So, it had the original 850cc engine which (if I remember correct) had 20bhp, but with all the extra weight of the roll cage etc the performance was even slower than standard. It struggled to hit 80mph flat out and if I came to a hill id have to drop it down to 1st gear in order to drive up it. As soon as I mentioned roll cages to any insurance company they wouldnt touch me. In the end I managed to get it insured with Adrian Flux for £500, third party only. Which was a staggering amount at the time as the car was probably barely worth that amount back then. It seemed every company assumed that i was planning to deliberately roll it as I had fitted a roll cage, even though it was a performance reducing mod.

And how do you access this?

They have software, its based on the manufacturers not Osiris

Anyone who thinks for a moment that an insurer wouldnt check if they had doubts is misleading themselves, not declaring modifications is an extremely bad idea, especially when its like £40 extra if that

They can easy check the ecu. As for power Nissan clearly overstate the zed , or use a dyno that reads generously , my 370z with a cat back, intake pipes and k&n filters made less than 300hp on a dyno dynamics dyno , even post uprev it only made 309!

Is that bhp taken at the flywheel or the wheels?

Flywheel of course , well calculated flywheel

Why do you say "Flywheel of course", as most we see on here are measured at the rear hubs and then a 'calculation' is done as to what they may equate as the BHP at the fly but that can depend on transmission factors that can vary the fly BHP?

The BHP figure you have quoted is virtually identical to that I got after an uprev on the 370 .....measured at the rear hubs.

different dynos , different days useless comparing. Lots of people get lower figures on Dyno Dynamics dynos compared to other types

They can easy check the ecu. As for power Nissan clearly overstate the zed , or use a dyno that reads generously , my 370z with a cat back, intake pipes and k&n filters made less than 300hp on a dyno dynamics dyno , even post uprev it only made 309!

Why do you say "Flywheel of course", as most we see on here are measured at the rear hubs and then a 'calculation' is done as to what they may equate as the BHP at the fly but that can depend on transmission factors that can vary the fly BHP?

The BHP figure you have quoted is virtually identical to that I got after an uprev on the 370 .....measured at the rear hubs.

different dynos , different days useless comparing. Lots of people get lower figures on Dyno Dynamics dynos compared to other types

OK, I hear what you say but having seen many results of 370s bhp after uprevs yours is the lowest by a long way and is even some 15bhp down on Nissan's stock figures at 324bhp/325bhp at the fly. So I would say you have something that might need checking to be some 40bhp down on other 370's in similar states of tune

Maybe Jez at Horsham or Mark at Abbey who have upreved numerous 370s can shed some light on the difference?

Check that, I'm pretty certain those figures will be at the wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

We remapped our Fiesta Ecoboost and it went from 100 bhp to 140 with 180 lb/ft and is a proper little nutter now, doesnt feel that much slower than my zed, I told them about the remap, they didnt ask about relative power outputs but just put it down as an ECU Chip" and charged us another £18.

Like others on here, I agree it really is vital that you update your insurers of any mods. Insurance contracts aren't like others and require full disclosure. My brokers just categorised based on the percentage uplift in power, so the exhaust, HFCs, plenum spacer followed by Uprev still put me in the lowest category of increase (less than x%). The increase in premium was very modest.