Locking Nut Key Nut 'lost'!

bababongles

Oops. Can't find my locking wheel nut ( don't ask!!)

Well guys, best offer from my local performance garage mate and owner is to weld onto said nut(s) and remove that way.

Big issue, it will mark the alloys around that area.

Obviously looked via Google, but anyone had same problem with a satisfactory outcome before I commit??

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

DSC_0084_zpsjbgmz3gy.jpg

Go to your local Nissan dealership, they have a copy of every locking nut key for the cars they have sold and they'll let you try them all until you find the one that fits and then order it through them for around £20. I did this a couple of years ago as a mechanic lost my original.

When I went to my local dealer, they gave me 3 boxes of lucking nut keys, each one had about 30 different keys in it. Each box was for a different brand of locking nut.

Go to your local Nissan dealership, they have a copy of every locking nut key for the cars they have sold and they'll let you try them all until you find the one that fits and then order it through them for around £20. I did this a couple of years ago as a mechanic lost my original.

When I went to my local dealer, they gave me 3 boxes of lucking nut keys, each one had about 30 different keys in it. Each box was for a different brand of locking nut.

+1

Yeah mate in work has a tool specifically for this as leonk said. He took mine off in like 5 mins then I replaced them there and then but probably pretty expensive the tool (wish I could remember the name)

The AA and RAC carry a tool to remove locknuts without the key. They use an impact drive and it basically forms to the shape of the locknut (had to get them out to one of my old cars as the lock nut was chewed and wouldn't grip). If you have cover with either give them a ring, although you may have to tell them you have a flat tyre to get them to send someone.

So there's 2 options.

1/ Local Nissan Dealer, borrow their box of keys. Try until you find the correct one then buy a new one from them @ C£20.

2/ Go to any decent local tyre place who will have a locking nut removal tool. (Takes only as long as to remove a normal nut!!). Go to Nissan Dealer and buy a new nut @ C£5.

You might want to get all of the locking nuts removed and replace them for 'normal' wheel nuts - unless you live in/frequently leave your car in dodgy areas. The locking wheel nuts Nissan use are actually known for breaking (McGuard Germany I think they are) so you might want to look at option 2/ I don't think wheel/tyre theft is as prevalent these days. :)

Yeah mate in work has a tool specifically for this as leonk said. He took mine off in like 5 mins then I replaced them there and then but probably pretty expensive the tool (wish I could remember the name)

I think they cunningly called it: Locking wheel nut removal tool :lol:

• Like 1

Update!

Locking nuts off!! Cost me £20 Couldn't argue with that, even though it took about 10 mins, if that.

'tools for the job' eh?

Yeap, called in County Tyres, couldn't help, no tools for the job. Didn't expect that, but they kindly sent me to another dealer who did!

Oversize special sockets, hammered on ( wasn't keen on that bit), removed with torque wrench.

Other option not used, special tool/ socket that fits into the area around the shape, then crank off.

Normal bolts replaced. Not sure if I will put locking nuts back on again.

Thanks for posts guys.