The moon on a stick

dajw

Yes I know I am want the impossible but it is worth sharing, because I may actually get somewhere!

My car is a daily driver, fast road use only. It cannot be lowered, and must retain good suspension travel (and approach/departure angles for slopes in car parks etc.). My car is set up with stock suspension, save for the SPL end links and adjustable Eibach stabiliser bars.

I don't agree with sporty = harsh ride approach in suspension.

The 370z has a fairly aggressive fast road setup from stock, and the ride is a firm. I drove a 2015 Porsche Boxster 2.7 PDK (on 19" wheels) earlier this year, and I was totally impressed with how it rode: Completely planted, good on my rough country roads, good at speed, cornered very impressively. Of course it is a very different car (weight, distribution etc.).

I need all the traction I can get with the extra power in my car, so I'm thinking that a more compliant ride will help. Don't get me wrong, I don't want a soft ride (I'd get a Jaaaaaaaaag for that).

I just spoke with (the always helpful) Wheels in Motion. I was advised that the KW v3 is an excellent coilover, but it will give a firmer ride than stock. For a chance of getting toward the goal I have, they suggested I look at a setup where the pre-load is independently adjustable of the ride height, such as those offered by BC Racing.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

:lol:

Even at the softest, I've found BC stuff to be stiffer than OEM. 99% of aftermarket stuff is. What wheels, tyres and pressures are you running?

The 19" rays that came with the car, MPSS 245/40 R19 front, MPSS 275/35 R19 rear, 35psi all round.

Hmmm, this might be a struggle.

However, I think what you're actually after isn't softer as such, but more compliant. Certainly the KWv3 will be that, albeit at a cost, but I've found the BC stuff to be more compliant than OEM too across brands. The 645, for example, now runs the BC BR setup, and whilst it's not as squidgy* as OEM, it actually rides bumps and lumps in the road better. I can still feel them, but they don't unsettle the car. Given the cost differential between BC and KW, I'd be tempted to try the BC first.

*Technical term.

• Like 1

:lol:

Even at the softest, I've found BC stuff to be stiffer than OEM.

Puzzled about this, Ekona

I had BC Racing coilovers on my 350Z, and found the settings around 50 - 60% were about the same as stock - so you could adjust them to both firmer and softer

My gf used to like to suspension soft as she had back troouble and I could wind the suspension down for her with no problems, likewise could stiffen it up like when I took her to Oulton or Anglesey or 'Ring

I liked the fact you could adjust the suspension so easily and used it quite a bit

I've just had kw's fitted into my 350 (-15mm) and even on the factory setting I have to say the improvement is significant. It's subtle, the car is firmer but seems to make less of the bumps and its definitely less floaty in the corners. It's not uncomfortable and I don't feel like my back is being shattered the car just feels much more planted and tighter, hard to explain but they are miles better than stock...

This is good reading! I hadn't expected that coilovers would help compliance without that increase in firmness... I think the next steps are to have a ride in some cars that have changed the springs and dampers.

• 2 weeks later...

I did quite a bit of research into suspension components for my previous Alfa Brera and Z4 Coupe.

I believe you may want too look into a set of Koni FSD dampers if you want better handing but with stock ride height and comfort.

http://www.koni.com/car-racing/products/performance/

These dampers are designed to be combined with standard springs and might fit the bill. They were very popular with the Alfa Owner crowd.

P..S. Just wanted to point out I didn't end up fitting them personally as I went with lowered suspension in both cases. I have heard a lot of good things about them however.

Hope this helps.

Edited by James Junior
  • Like 1