Undersealing the Z

Dicky

Looking to clean off all rust under the car, then coat with Hammerite under seal (I understand you can get it with waxoil in it) or other stuff if you've got any better suggestions.

Also do you think "Cure Rust"

is any good and worth using. Any advice welcome.

• Like 1

There's a company up here in Newcastle who charge something like £350 to to an under seal for you, which I suppose isn't bad when you consider the hassle there's going to be. Big for me problem though is will they take the care that I will, but I doubt it.

I understand that wax oil runs all over and is therefore difficult to apply. I'll look into the Bilt Hamber Dynax stuff as well ilogickal1.

I'll also follow the Cure Rust n paint route as well Piranah.

Personally i wouldnt use kurust. Its the film it leaves that goes black. Not the rust. It creates a protective airtight seal thats all. Waxoyl underbody seal is good as it doesnt dry out and peel. . And as stated before hammerite is useless. It chips off and flakes and doesnt stop rust at all. Also the runny waxoyl is the clear one that is usually injected into cavities but to do this you usually need to heat it to make it thin enough. The proper waxoyl underbody seal doesnt run badly at all

Edited by MIGWEL

Personally i wouldnt use kurust. Its the film it leaves that goes black. Not the rust. It creates a protective airtight seal thats all. Waxoyl underbody seal is good as it doesnt dry out and peel. . And as stated before hammerite is useless. It chips off and flakes and doesnt stop rust at all. Also the runny waxoyl is the clear one that is usually injected into cavities but to do this you usually need to heat it to make it thin enough. The proper waxoyl underbody seal doesnt run badly at all

That's interesting. Just had the little bit of rear wheel arch rust cut out and repaired. The guy squirted loads of waxoyl between the panels which took a day or so to eventually stop dripping out. Didn't know it had to be heated first and assumed applying it while lying on your back under the car would have been quite challenging.

• 1 month later...

Bilt Hamber Dynax range pisses all over Waxoyl in every way these days. I'd recommend that personally.

Just googled that an loads of great reviews, so will be using that.

Question is: do I need to use anything before I apply that? Or just use wire brush to clean up surface? Do I need anything for already rusty bits? Like rust killer?

Question is: do I need to use anything before I apply that? Or just use wire brush to clean up surface? Do I need anything for already rusty bits? Like rust killer?

Yes, you'll ideally need to treat any rust first - surface rust can just be cleaned up with a wire brush though - otherwise it'll only ever get worse.

Yes, you'll ideally need to treat any rust first - surface rust can just be cleaned up with a wire brush though - otherwise it'll only ever get worse.

Well, might as well do it properly while I'm under there lol

Would you reccomend any good rust killer/treatment? And is it ok to do it in a cold weather?

Edited by Vlad

Can you do this with the exhaust still on ? Or is it a case of stripping as much as possible ?

Can be done with exhaust on, but I would do it with it off as

A ) you want to make sure you cover everything and don't miss bits

B ) if you get it on the exhaust - it will be burning off when hot and I guess that would stink and smoke?

C ) I would imagine it will make job a lot easier. Exhaust is not that hard to take off, done it few times without ramp.

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 1

I'm planning on doing a bit of undersealing to my 03 Z. At the minute my plan of attack is

1 Brush off any flaky bits.

2 Treat with Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 ( rust converter )

3 Spray with Bilt Hamber Surfex HD ( degreaser )

4 Treat with Bilt Hamber S50 ( wax )

Would welcome any other views or suggestions as I'm no expert on this front!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm planning on doing a bit of undersealing to my 03 Z. At the minute my plan of attack is

1 Brush off any flaky bits.

2 Treat with Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 ( rust converter )

3 Spray with Bilt Hamber Surfex HD ( degreaser )

4 Treat with Bilt Hamber S50 ( wax )

Would welcome any other views or suggestions as I'm no expert on this front!

I wonder how much stuff (Hydrate 80 and S50 wax) would i need to underseal whole car?