What pads for daily road and some track use? (Now with R90 info)

longsh07

Edit: 19th Sept - Have decided to edit and add all the info I have to the first page in case it helps anyone out. Will keep updating as I find extra info.

Edit: 15th Feb 2016 - Link to post about R90 regulation: http://www.350z-uk.c...20#entry1586852

Thinking about preparing my 350Z to do track days and need to consider a pad upgrade.

Looking for a pad that will stop me on a cold winters morning on the way to work but wont cook itself on track. A fit and forget pad. I can live with dust and noise if I know the performance is there.

Having read around on this:

Road Legal ECE R90 approved pads

Brembo HP2000 Sport

These look to be a good choice for fit and forget pads.

Temps up to 600 degrees C, optimal between 200-300 degrees C.

Friction coefficient of over 0.5

EBC Yellow Stuff

Mixed reviews, some good, some bad, some based on biases.

Claimed temps of up to 900 degrees C but I find this hard to believe based on similarly price competitors.

Friction coefficient of 0.5.

Cosworth Streetmaster

Similar to Brembo HP2000 Sport. Not found a great deal out about these but look promising.

Edit: 15/02/16 - Forgot to update at the time but overheard Cosworth rep at Autosport International 2016 that Cosworth pads are manufactured by EBC. Assumption is that this is a re-branded YellowStuff pad.

Friction coefficient of 0.5

Temps up to 650 degrees C.

EBC Bluestuff NDX - REAR PADS ONLY

Bit of a con these. Pitched as track and road legal however on a 350Z only the rear brake pads for the Brembo calipers have obtained the R90 approval!

Taken from EBC's website: http://ebcbrakes.com...ads-for-racing/

R90 Approved Bluestuff Brake Pads DP51200NDX DP51210NDX DP5826NDX DP51537NDX DP51538NDX

350Z Brembo Front - DP51644NDX

350Z Brembo Rear - DP5137NDX

Performance Friction (PFC) 10 Z-Rated

As per this doc: http://zupin.ibs-inf...9_ISSUE_2ss.pdf

All PFC Z-Rated pads for the 350Z with Brembos are R90 approved.

Cant find operating temps unfortunately.

Compound info: http://www.pfcbrakes...y.php?pageId=28

Ferodo DS Performance

Road legal version of DS2500.

Friction coefficient of 0.46, cant find solid numbers but appears to work up to 550 degrees C.

Not ECE R90 approved

Ferodo DS2500

Lots of good reviews on these.

Ferodo claim: Working temps of 20-500 degrees and friction coefficient of 0.42

Cosworth Trackmaster

Track focused version of the streetmaster pad.

Cosworth website says they are perfectly safe for road use but because its braking efficiency is too high it does not meed ECE R90 approval.

Friction coefficient of 0.7 and effective braking through to 800 degrees C!

Edit: 15/02/16 - Forgot to update at the time but overheard Cosworth rep at Autosport International 2016 that Cosworth pads are manufactured by EBC. Assumption is that this is a re-branded Blue/Orange Stuff pad.

EBC Bluestuff NDX - FRONT PADS ONLY

Bit of a con these. Pitched as track and road legal however on a 350Z only the rear brake pads for the Brembo calipers have obtained the R90 approval!

Taken from EBC's website: http://ebcbrakes.com...ads-for-racing/

R90 Approved Bluestuff Brake Pads DP51200NDX DP51210NDX DP5826NDX DP51537NDX DP51538NDX

350Z Brembo Front - DP51644NDX

350Z Brembo Rear - DP5137NDX

Tarox Corsa 114

One option I've not heard much about.

Claimed street use but aimed at track driving with temps of up to 800 degrees.

Optimal temp range 200-400 degrees C.

Friction coefficient of 0.49 when hot, 0.47 normally.

Performance Friction (PFC) 01 Motorsport

Cant find much info on temps/friction however these are motorsport pads and so are to powerful for road use. Also 01 compound appears to be being phased out but is still available according to this link:

http://www.pfcbrakes...y.php?pageId=28

Carbone Lorraine RC5+ or RC6

Both look very capable pads but not R90 approved so not road legal...

Unknown legality

Hawk

Hawk have a few options for the 350. I cant find if they are road legal as the website is American.

Options for this situation look like the HPS, HPS 5.0, HP+ and DTC-30 as anything else wont be good from cold. Performance chart for reference: http://www.hawkperfo.../compound-graph

HPS - Optimal temp range 100-500 - Min/Max 100-700 degrees C

HPS 5.0 - Optimal temp range 100-550 - Min/Max 100-750 degrees C

HP+ - Optimal temp range 100-600 - Min/Max 100-800 degrees C

DTC-30 (street Race) - Optimal temp range 100-800, Min/Max 100-1200 degrees C!!

As a comparison, the Hawk Ceramic pads:

Optimal temp range 100-450, Min/Max 100-650 degrees C.

Race compound ref: http://www.hawkperfo...und-application

Motrsport compound ref: http://www.hawkperfo...ports/compounds

Street compound ref: http://www.hawkperfo...und-application

Pagid

Two options, Pagid S or RS.

I believe the Pagid S are supposed to be road legal but cant find anything official to confirm.

RS is unlikely to be from what I've read.

To be honest, after all this, having seen how easy it is to change the pads on a 350Z it might be better to just switch between something like a DS2500 and my Hawks... live and learn.

Edited by longsh07
  • Like 2

Still on stocks at the moment but would probably change these out if I do the pads as they are due to be changed.

Would probably stick with a solid disc.

Advice I've been given and research I've done has always pointed to drilled/slotted being a 'fission accessory' and potential weak point

Only exception is groved discs but chances are they will tear up the pads faster.

Hawk pads are not EC approved so fall into the same category as the Ferodo. That being said I have never heard of anyone having issues running race spec pads on a road car.

A great alternative that is road legal and still a good pad for track work is the Brembo Sport which we can supply.

For a disc that will stand up to the extra heat generated on track the T3 from DBA is a great choice. The slot design will not tear up the pad surface in anyway.

There are other more suitable pad options that are track bias but by the sounds of things you need a good all rounder.

• Like 3

Hawk pads are not EC approved so fall into the same category as the Ferodo. That being said I have never heard of anyone having issues running race spec pads on a road car.

A great alternative that is road legal and still a good pad for track work is the Brembo Sport which we can supply.

For a disc that will stand up to the extra heat generated on track the T3 from DBA is a great choice. The slot design will not tear up the pad surface in anyway.

There are other more suitable pad options that are track bias but by the sounds of things you need a good all rounder.

Thanks Ewen. Just the sort of advice I was looking for.

Still open to other recommendations. Like to have all the info before I make a decision :thumbs:

• Like 1

Just get a BBK from Adrian :)

Money well spent .

I had DS2500 on my old Brembo set up and were very good if a bit noisy .

Alan

Cheers Alan but I'm not looking to spend that kind of money.

The stock Brembo's are more than up to the job, just need to get the pads (and discs by the sound of it) right.

How about this setup? http://www.350z-uk.c...ch-discs-combo/

Alternatively DBA discs and different Hawk pads, all available @ TORQEN, too

Cheers Adrian, I'm already running the Hawk ceramic pads, braided hoses and Motul fluid but the StopTech discs are an option :thumbs:

Edited by longsh07

PF 01 pads on the front, and Z Rated pads on the rear.

Utterly brilliant, and if I had a Zed again I would be exclusively looking at the Performance Friction range. Best brakes I've ever tried on a 350, especially with the matching ally belled discs.

• Like 2

Cheers Adrian, I'm already running the Hawk ceramic pads, braided hoses and Motul fluid but the StopTech discs are an option :thumbs:

In that case, keep the pads for now and just change the brake discs, take the car on the track, see how it performs and take it from there.

I use Pagid RS29 on the GT-R, they are just brilliant, but very aggressive for the discs and they squeal. :)

• Like 1

Stuff.

I wouldnt usually big up a trader but every time Ive spoken to Ewen about pads (4 different cars now I think!) his advice has been spot on, even down to the Brembos I picked up being very similar to the DS2500 that he didnt have in stock.

If you want to spend money then Carbon Lorraines are the best Ive used on anything and would be fine for the road, if you wnat to save some money then DS2500/Brembo would be fine. I dont like EBC, at all - dusty, not particularly good bite and not cheap for what they are either.

ETA: CL's > RS29's, Ive got both on two different cars at the moment ;)

Edited by docwra
  • Like 2

PF 01 pads on the front, and Z Rated pads on the rear.

Utterly brilliant, and if I had a Zed again I would be exclusively looking at the Performance Friction range. Best brakes I've ever tried on a 350, especially with the matching ally belled discs.

Looks interesting. Will have a proper look at PFC's options.

In that case, keep the pads for now and just change the brake discs, take the car on the track, see how it performs and take it from there.

I use Pagid RS29 on the GT-R, they are just brilliant, but very aggressive for the discs and they squeal. :)

Appreciate the suggestion Adrian but based on my experience with the MX5 and the greenstuffs claimed temp ranges I'd rather get this right before the Zed hits the track for the first time.

Stuff.

I wouldnt usually big up a trader but every time Ive spoken to Ewen about pads (4 different cars now I think!) his advice has been spot on, even down to the Brembos I picked up being very similar to the DS2500 that he didnt have in stock.

If you want to spend money then Carbon Lorraines are the best Ive used on anything and would be fine for the road, if you wnat to save some money then DS2500/Brembo would be fine. I dont like EBC, at all - dusty, not particularly good bite and not cheap for what they are either.

ETA: CL's > RS29's, Ive got both on two different cars at the moment ;)

Good to know :thumbs:

Will have a look at Car Lorraine too while I'm checking out PFC :)

I don't do many trackdays so I'm still running oem discs.

I run the hawk hps at the moment and they are good for the road but don't last long on the track(fronts) I'm putting ds2500 in the fronts this weekend leaving the hawk pads in the rears as they seem to run well.

I find the oem discs ok for occasional track work obviously if you were looking to do this more often I would recommend a disc more suited but for a road/occasional trackday balance I find the standard discs with a good pad are ok.

Mine does also have braided lines and rbf600 brake fluid which is a must for track work.

I don't do many trackdays ........

I find the oem discs ok for occasional track work obviously if you were looking to do this more often I would recommend a disc more suited

Why do people do this? Ive done 15+ trackdays on the standard discs and the car has never ceased to amaze me at how well it stops, even after 25 minute sessions. The brembo discs are bloody good, youd look at changing calipers before the discs and if the calipers arent good enough for you Id suggest trying out for GT Academy ;)

• Like 1

I dont like EBC, at all - dusty, not particularly good bite and not cheap for what they are either.

I use the Bluestuff NDX and they're awesome!

I did look at blue stuff pads but couldn't find them listed for the 350. Admittedly I didn't look very hard. Where did you find them?

Sent from Tapatalk

I dont like EBC, at all - dusty, not particularly good bite and not cheap for what they are either.

I use the Bluestuff NDX and they're awesome!

I did look at blue stuff pads but couldn't find them listed for the 350. Admittedly I didn't look very hard. Where did you find them?

Sent from Tapatalk

I've got aftermarket brakes (from Art Automotive on here) so they may be different to the standard Brembo pads.

EDIT: Although Google seems to think they're available: http://www.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/nissan-350z-35-brembo-2003-ebc-brakes-bluestuff-pads-ndx--front-dp51644ndx_p1242049.htm

Edited by HaydnH
  • Like 1