So where does that leave sportscars....

AMT

Also not forgetting everything gets better to allow for the bigger hp, diffs, gearboxes, suspension and tyres. Would be useless if you couldnt put the power to the road.

Dont want to contradict but Id say its actually the opposite, as engineering and materials become more advanced stuff will get smaller and lighter, youve only got to look at the ZEOD engine or how much composites are coming into car manufacturing, or the use of polymers to replace metals in wiring to see it. the problem is that the savings are being lost again on adding even more comfort and toys :(

A great stat I heard once was that since 1970, despite advances the weight of IFE equipment on aircraft has increased by 10 times, where the weight of safety equipment hasnt increased at all. What does that tell you? ;)

sadly very little.... in the 70s what safety kit was on a car? Now we have airbags (many of them), bonnet pedestrian popup thing (its on the GTR, raises the bonnet so pedestrian doesnt land on solid engine, impact bars and not to mention all kit that forces things to move in specific directions in impact

what has changed in aircraft safety since the 70s? Fire alarms, oxygen masks, slides......... always had them ;) Considering the stat that air travel is the safest way to travel, I doubt that much has changed, whereas cars of the 70s were notorious for bad accidents.

Edited by grahamc

Had probably my best drives ever, and in the AMG in Scotland - its grip and power for a 2 litre turbo is just awesome.....and it has the 4/5 seats that is really the primary reason I no longer have a 370.......which I really miss, but the '45 gives really gives a similar smile factor per mile and although it can't keep up with a GTR in a straight line, in the tighter the twisties which I love, it is so much fun.

It also comes in quite handy as a quite a quick taxi :lol:

I like hot hatches. I think they're pretty cool. But I like something a little different like, the old Pulsar GTi-R or the Glanza. I'd prefer one those over anything around these days. I'm not one for creature comforts. I like to buy something older and mod it to the max, strip it out and try to hide as many mods as you can and make it look as normal as possible. I used to have a Toyota corolla with REV5 Caldina engine. I modded it a bit and had it mapped on a MoTeC pro M8 ECU. That was ballistic, and raised many eyebrows when pulling away from far more expensive and powerful cars out of the box. It's funny to see a person's reaction when they can't get any closer in my granny grocery-go-getter with its 15" standard wheels and flabby tires. Ha ha!

Edited by Rock_Steady

Wading in late here,

My daily is a golf R and yes it's powerful, it's fast, it's fun off the line and can embarrass much more exotic machinery (to 60/80 at best).

You can throw it into a corner and know the car will save your ass with the ridiculous grip and Deep Blue stored under the bonnet.

As with all these new hot hatches, the R can be fun, if you're wanting GTR esque performance and ton of computers to save your life if you do something silly, automatic this, assisted that.

Whilst it may be much faster than the Z it's not as satisfying and fun as the Z with it's lack of assists and gadgets.