Got Caught Speeding

Z-Boy

The cutoff for the courses used to be 10mph above the limit. Not sure if that's changed?

yes it isn't that clear cut, individual police forces in each county set the limits. I was caught recently doing 79 in a 70 and got offered the course. However on my letter it seemed as if I was going 78 I wouldn't of been offered the course - maybe as I wouldn't of been flagged with the 10% threshold thingy?!

doubt you'll get offered the course - however it doesn't hurt to request it. normally the course is only for people just over the limit, ie 33-36mph in a 30, 44-48mph in a 40 and so on.

when I was nicked I was doing 85 on a motorway and was not offered a course - but I requested it and said it would be far more beneficial to my education than simply points (which it was)

Oh, ok....so you've already had the letter. If they were going to offer you the course you would have got the details in with the letter. Bad luck :(

Was it a static or mobile speed camera? just wondering if the police are starting another speed campaign, there's been a lot of signs going up all over the place.

There's a dual carriage way near Bracknell that is actually a 50mph, but most drive at 70 on it, so can sympathize with you a little......still at least you've not got to go to court!

Oh, ok....so you've already had the letter. If they were going to offer you the course you would have got the details in with the letter. Bad luck :(

No, it doesn't work like that. First of all you get a letter of intended prosecution. You have to fill in and send the attached form back to them to ensure the details are correct, eg your wife could have been driving. Once the police have had this back they'll assess if a SAC is suitable.

Pete

• Like 2

No, it doesn't work like that. First of all you get a letter of intended prosecution. You have to fill in and send the attached form back to them to ensure the details are correct, eg your wife could have been driving. Once the police have had this back they'll assess if a SAC is suitable.

Pete

That's not correct Pete,

It happened to me 3 weeks ago exactly as explained by Kat. I was offered 2 options in that first letter, course or points

Pete

That's not correct Pete,

It happened to me 3 weeks ago exactly as explained by Kat. I was offered 2 options in that first letter, course or points

Are you doing the course in Reading?

NIP comes first. Then you will get options. Although up here the options are now non-existent. 3 points and £100 fine automatically. And anyway remember the insurance companies have got wise to the awareness course option now and they don't just check have you any points - the question they ask is - any motoring offences - and nowadays the drop down includes awareness course. ;)

Don't think the courses were ever an option in Scotland

When I did mine in Northamptonshire they said it wasn't a legal requirement to tell insurers. This was around 5 years ago. That was the whole point in the courses- education and being let off with a warning so to speak

But now the insurance companies always ask about these courses on the phone and online. Any way to make money for them

Pete

That's not correct Pete,

That's how it works in North Wales, it really doesn't make sense to offer the course at the same time before confirming who the driver was. I mean what if its a company car, a hire car?

Pete

Edited by JetSet

It was my understanding that if you did the course there was no conviction therefore no need to tell insurers. I was clearly told that when I did mine.

It's an interesting quandary, if you don't tell when asked you are withholding relevant info but apparently you don't have to tell them - best be honest if asked but no need to volunteer if not asked.

Go for the course if offered.

It was my understanding that if you did the course there was no conviction therefore no need to tell insurers. I was clearly told that when I did mine.

Likewise

But this is insurance companies were talking about. Anything to make money

Making you car safer with winter tyres also costs money with insurers...