Tax difference??

Far2lively

I have to disagree with what seems to be the majority opinion on here that the higher tax cost is an insignificance (unless perhaps you`re fortunate enough to be dead rich). Paying monthly it now costs me £12 more each month than what the wife pays for the year for her car. Together with the fact that I seem to need to put a tenner's worth of fuel in each time just to nip to the local shops a couple of times a week makes it rather expensive for what is effectively a driveway ornament for the majority of the time. If I didn`t love driving it so much when I do take it out I`d definitely be looking for something more reasonable to run.

Drive it more then ;) I do 15-20k a year so well worth it haha

I did 13k in my first year and with these miles the petrol is by far the biggest pain

You drive a high powered, highly polluting car - if you can't afford it, get a micra.

I'm not complaining by any means, I knew exactly what I was taking on, but I've had my Zed for 9 years and have averaged less than 2.5k a year, so the pollution I've put out is probably the same as the pollution put out by a Micra doing 10k a year. They should simply drop the road tax and work out how much they need to raise the price of fuel in order to get back the tax they'll loose by scrapping VED. It's been discussed by various governments, even as long ago as the 1970's but it would seem that they probably think its a vote loser.

Pete

• Like 3

Absolutely as above, would without doubt be the fairest system.

Tax collect at source (system is already in place), i would imagine the savings to the dvla would be vast, would be near impossible to avoid if your on the road, unless you have nicked your petrol. All foreign vehicles using our roads would also be contributing.

The only problem that needs solving, vehicles that are now tax exempt.

And how aviation fuel remains tax free is beyond me.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

There's always going to be some unfairness in the system and you've highlighted one of them although the number of exempt vehicles would be quite small. Another advantage of adding the duty to the price of fuel would be that vehicles that are currently untaxed would have to pay their share of tax.

All foreign vehicles using our roads would also be contributing.

Good point. I live in an area where there is a large Eastern European population and on a trip down to ASDA I'll spot numerous cars with PL and LT plates. Foreign cars are supposed to be registered after 12 months but I know of one Polish car that's been parked on the road for 3 or 4 years.

Pete

Absolutely as above, would without doubt be the fairest system.

Tax collect at source (system is already in place), i would imagine the savings to the dvla would be vast, would be near impossible to avoid if your on the road, unless you have nicked your petrol. All foreign vehicles using our roads would also be contributing.

And how aviation fuel remains tax free is beyond me.

Is it tax free? Wasn't it fuel duty going up on aviation fuel that hindered the cheap flights and forced airlines to sneakily add taxes and charges at the checkout?

It's not though. It's only lately that this fascination with emissions has come about, any tax is primarily about making money as easy as possible. The government has just done a good PR job convincing us that we're saving the planet too. ;)

• Like 2

Agree 100%.

They have found a nice niche "emissions", great way to tax us more and let us believe its for the good of the environment.

Either way, its total wrong that aviation fuel is zero rated and duty free. especially if its now an "emission" based tax.

Either way, its total wrong that aviation fuel is zero rated and duty free. especially if its now an "emission" based tax.

I don't disagree but the problem is that if you taxed aviation fuel it'd be us that would pick up the bill in higher fares.

Pete

You drive a high powered, highly polluting car - if you can't afford it, get a micra.

I'm not complaining by any means, I knew exactly what I was taking on, but I've had my Zed for 9 years and have averaged less than 2.5k a year, so the pollution I've put out is probably the same as the pollution put out by a Micra doing 10k a year. They should simply drop the road tax and work out how much they need to raise the price of fuel in order to get back the tax they'll loose by scrapping VED. It's been discussed by various governments, even as long ago as the 1970's but it would seem that they probably think its a vote loser.

Pete

Bang on mate. It should be on the fuel and they you will pay for what you use.

Only problem is

If they ever do this no doubt it will end up costing us more like everything else in life.

If you are concerned about emissions and the planet I believe the planes and ships are far worse

So what did the Police or DVLA say when you reported it to them?

I'm not a busybody you know, yes, it annoys me but I'd never be out of the police station if I reported everyone who was committing some sort of offense, like using their mobiles phones.

Pete

I agree with the idea that tax should be at source (ie at the pumps) - is that not, in effect, what the chancellor announced in the last budget though?

We'll have a flat rate of £140 (a bit more if it's an expensive car) and then everything else is taxed within fuel use.