advise! puncture!

leebottrill

I have got a none repairable puncture in my back tyre. my question is do you have to replace both of the back tyres when one go's or can you put a new one straight on? or should I look around for a second hand tyre with the same thread? I have got MICHELIN Pilot Super Sports on at the moment. if anyone has a 245 45 mpss I'll have it! 😣

@Juggalo: Good god man, how misleading do you want to be?!

You can replace a single tyre IF the tread difference isn't too great. Anything more than 1mm or a few thousand miles and I'd be changing both. What's the wear like on your rears right now?

Always, always, ALWAYS match tyres across an axle! It's not a case of 'best to', it's a case of MUST.

Edited by Ekona
  • Like 2

@Juggalo: Good god man, how misleading do you want to be?!

6 years as a tyre fitter for a main dealer. And your experience is?

You can replace a single tyre IF the tread difference isn't too great. Anything more than 1mm or a few thousand miles and I'd be changing both. What's the wear like on your rears right now?

Master of the obvious. I credited him with at least some common sense. :lol:

Third option that I went for.

Bought 2 new rears.

Kept the old one.

2 yrs later I got another puncture on one of the rears.

By that time the tread on the spare matched the other one and I was good to go :thumbs:

Do I count myself lucky or unlucky :lol:

I suppose if you consider the 2nd hand value not worthwhile you could keep it as a spare if you had space to store it.

Edited by HEADPHONES

6 years as a tyre fitter for a main dealer. And your experience is?

I'd have expected you to know better, then.

Why on earth would you write that it's "best to stick to same make and model", when actually it's bloody critical you do? That's just about the most ridiculous thing you could possibly have said. Maybe you just didn't think before writing so you phrased it badly, but you can be damn sure I'm going to jump on it and make it absolutely clear that mixing tyres on an axle is a no-no just in case the person who asked the question literally has no idea you can't do that. Not everyone is an expert, and I'd rather someone thought I was being condescending than give misleading advice.

Ekona you do spout some holier than thou tosh sometimes.... it is not CRITICAL that you have matching tyres on an axle.. it was not the most ridiculous thing he could have said.. the car wont explode if you don't.. if you pootle around town and never push the car in the wet or dry you wont crash and burn.... i agree it IS best practice and safest to have matching tyres on the axles and the general advise is to do just that

its a good job you don't mind people thinking you are being condescending.............

• Like 1

Thing is though Steve, this isn't some Fiesta or Golf we are talking about it is a RWD ~300hp coupe at the end of the day so I agree with Ekona. If you are going to skimp on the only thing that makes contact with the terrible road surfaces in this country due to money/budget then Id recommend you are driving the wrong car. There really is no excuse to cut corners with tyres!

I can see where you're coming from about not wanting to sell an individual tyre into a difficult market when there is plenty of meat on the tyre, so ultimately it's your decision. You also have to consider about how to get one tyre fitted if you can't do it yourself, some garages nowadays won't fit tyres you bring to them, some won't fit one on an axle.

Things to consider, it is ultimately your choice, don't want you to spend £60, only to have to buy two new tyres when you can't get the 1 fitted?