My zed is much thirsty than before, should I be worried?

veeg33

I've realised that my zed is much more thirsty than before. I commute daily to work, 5 miles per day round trip and i usually fill up £20.00 and it lasted me around 2 weeks before i need to fill up again. Recently, I have to fill up within 1 week plus. I'm doing the same mileage, same driving style, same route, etc.

My car was last serviced in January 2015 (oil change + oil filter + air filter) @ 76,000miles then air filter was replaced with HKS Hybrid sometime in June 2015. Since last oil change, i only covered around 2000 miles.

When I purchase my zed in July 2014, i could not see evidence of spark plugs being changed recently. I'm convinced it was change in P3 (i can't remember at what mileage it was done).

Oil pressure (monitor daily) and oil level (checked every 2 weeks or so), both seems fine. Tyre pressure is also good. No mod for the past 6 months.

So my questions for fellow zed owner, is this because my engine is less efficient hence burning more fuel? My zed feels normal and no sign of power loss, accelerate as it should be (or maybe it has deteriorated at a very slow rate that I'm already used to it hence can't fell it)

Or it this due to changing ambient temperature (colder now)?

I'm planning to change all spark plugs and also another engine oil change + oil filter before MOT in December 2015. Might do this earlier to see if fuel consumption could return to 'normal'.

I'm not moaning about my zed being thirsty but just worried if this is a sign of something big might happen to my zed hence wanted to rectify this as soon as i could.

Or it this due to changing ambient temperature (colder now)?

Can make quite a difference if you're only using it for short journeys. Just wait till it gets really cold though. Difficult to calculate exactly how much more fuel is used on a cold frosty winters morning but I'd put it at around 30% extra for the first couple of miles.

Pete

• Like 2

Is the price of v power/momentum went up in your area?

2.5 mile journey each way everyday isn't too great for the car, assuming it doens't go much further than this at the weekend if £20 does you 2 weeks !!

I used to do less miles for the past 9 months as I cycle to work. But got lazy since 2 months ago as I have to work longer hours.

99 Momentum in my area is normal price.

I do every once a month or so gave my zed a good run around 20-30miles over the weekend. Apart from that, we mainly use my missus's company car.

Hopefully it's not a sign, just how normal zed will behave B)

Edited by veeg33

• 4 months later...

It's just the cold weather. The air is colder/denser and your car uses more fuel to keep the mix right.

When i had a zed i'd get 25mpg 10 months of the year, and then in Jan-Feb i'd get 16mpg because of the cold.

In my current 320d BMW i get 49mpg mostly, but currently getting 39mpg because of the weather!

• Like 1

Probably just the cold then.

Also just read your post again, I see you're doing 2.5 miles to work then engine off, same on way back, all that cold running and not letting it fully warm up must be a factor.

I do 16 mile round trip, mon-fri and some weekend miles, got 2 weeks out of a full tank. I used to let her idle then drive, now I just turn the engine on, 10 seconds later I take off and take it easy up to 3k revs until temp gauge is Middle. I noticed my MPG go up greatly when I did this, now I always avoid idle running if I can.

Edit: I should probably add that 95% of that journey is dual carriage with cruise control on.

Edited by DarmoZ
  • Like 1

If your only doing 2.5 mls, the engine is still in cold start mode, IE it never reaches normal running temp, so the fuelling will be richer by default, this will be compounded by the colder temps we have been having, so it will take even longer to warm up, so your fuel consumption will also rise.

I take it you haven noticed any CELs? otherwise I would say you have a lambda or ECU coolant temp sensor problem which will also cause rich mixture and increase fuel consumption

• Like 1

2.5 miles each way commute! Thats mad, I walk more than that in my lunch break! Id be looking at cycling or waking to work if I lived that close! I do 45miles each way for my commute.

In general, its more than likely to just be the cold weather. I always find, regardless of what car / fuel type im driving, over winter the MPG does take a hit due to the cold weather, heaters on, longer for car to warm up etc etc..

• Like 2