knocking in engine

karen14

Hi all, I let my fuel run low in error. Needle was between the empty and quarter. Hubby put fuel in for me but the "tappers" are making a loud clacking noise. We suspect there may be an air block and the fuel supply needs bleeding. At what level is the fuel warning light supposed to come on?

I have just got back from holiday and the car sounded ropey when I first started the engine. I did one run and it then seemed okay, subsequent starting has caused the problem. Any thoughts people?

Edited by karen14

i've never known of a car having a problem with running out of fuel - it just stops until more fuel is put in, and then it carries on as normal. Did you actually run out of fuel? and what grade fuel did your husband put in it?

and on an obvious note, does the engine have oil in it?

Running between empty and a quarter is ok. I have ran down to ---- and played chicken for about 30miles looking for >97oct fuel with no issues.

So unless you have got contamination eg water which will clear off after running for a bit this is unlikely to be the cause of your problems. Air in the fuel system gets purged out almost immediately after repeated cranking and once the system is pressurised and the car starts it's clear of air unlike hydraulic systems that require bleeding.

It sounds like your are describing valvetrain noises but rather than guess take the car to your nearest Specislist from the list of shops we have on here and get the issue diagnosed.

I take it there is no codes, the car still drives, it's not smoking, has oil and making power but just having a transient noisey/rough running right?

One persons knocking is another persons tapping......... ;) Its virtually impossible to draw a concrete conclusion from that sort of description.

I would suspect its a coincidence, and the problem may be low oil level, check this first followed by oil pressure and go from there.

• Like 1

Hope it's not another doomed engine. :dry:

We can rebuild it. Better. Stronger. Faster. We have the technology.

showing yer age there matey ;)

I like the old shows.

"Bidy Bidy bidy" guess the show. Lol.

buck-rogers-top-blog.jpg

Hated that robot :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses, I'll check the oil.

There I no smoke and on first drive from holiday drove rough.

Ill keep you update. Have a great weekend

Dont know where you are in Devon, but my son runs out of Bridgwater, has his own motor business doing all the diagnostics for the main dealers, also does tuning. If you are near enough I know he will be more than happy enough to help/advise.

• Like 2