Video: Oil leaking and white smoke

DarmoZ

So I topped up with some castrol edge 0w-30 yesterday as it was recorded from castrol oil selector on their website, (no idea what was in before as I just bought it) was driving fine then today after some spirited driving I got home parked up and noticed white smoke coming from under the hood and wheel arch front passenger side. I looked under car and can see oil leaking. This has never happend before, I included a video for your guys. Any help appreciated. Many of the lower parts of the car is covered in oil as you can see.

https://vimeo.com/135295881

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With oil bleeding like that you're keeping the engine started and revving it? Turn it off and the leak needs to be properly investigated.

First, have a look at the oil filter if it's properly secured and the sump plug if it's properly tightened. Oil cooler fitted? Any mods done recently?

I will tighten the oil filler cap. The rubber bit on the end of the dipstick has slit so it won't pop in and cause the seal properly, could a loosely inserted dip stick really be the issue though?

Where is the oil filter and sump plug located? I will check these ASAP. Not sure if I have an oil cooler or not how can I check? No Mods other than KN air filter which previous owner installed, rest is all Stock.

Edited by DarmoZ

Thanks for the video this helps, could the issue be that I topped up with 0w-30 I notice he is using 10 -30 in this video, I may just take the car th mechanic and ask him to inspect / perform oil change.

Haven't seen a leak that bad since a con rod shot through my block many years ago. I still drove the car 25ish miles home lol.

You don't sound mechanically minded, so I would have a garage collect it and investigate.

Otherwise, take the tray off, wipe the engine down. Make sure there's enough oil in the car, run the car and ascertain where the leak is coming from.

Got to be the dipstick or a huge coincidence

Retrace your steps.

Get the under tray off as the clean must begin.

Don't drive the car until the fault is fixed as you will quickly empty the sump.

Also oil on to a hot exhaust manifold or cat is never a good idea.

Finally use the correct oil viscosity.

Thanks for the Advice everyone.

FYI my last service stamp prior to the oil change in Feb this year (6k Miles ago) was in 2012.

Therefore I'm thinking to book this into the garage (AC Mechanical, Reading) get this issue fixed and also give it a proper full service, changing all the fluids and other parts at the same time.

Below you can see my shopping basket of Service items, I will also provide them with the SS brake lines and Slave cylinder as these need doing too.

After this my car should be trouble free for a long time.

Anything im missing here?

Thank You,

129d8e72779e5c2cfe4cd8ddf2ac5b11.jpg

Alan at AC Mechanical is a great guy and will look after you dude.

Good to know, I've heard a couple others here in Reading said they have used them, and they are great, reasonable prices too apparently (£54/hour labor rate)

I will report back my experience.

How much oil did you add - a litre, two.... ?

Did you check the oil level when the engine was cold and were able to see clearly the level before you added more and what was it showing? I ask that as the DE engine dipstick is notoriously difficult to read and even more so if the engine has not stood idle for a good while.

I'm pasting the info I read below when googling overfilling an engine with oil as to what can potentially happen as the white 'smoke' you are seeing under the hood is a litle worrying, unless as said above either the oil filler cap was not put back correctly or the oil has leaked from the dipstick hole - not uncommon but then you would see oil around both those orifices and from your video it looks, from the volume leaking at tickover, to be something more that those two sources and lower down the engine . When you take the oil filler cap off is there any greyish matter showing?

What I googled:

" This sounds like a blown head gasket. If the white smoke you are describing appears to have a steam like apperance and smells like coolant then you definitely have a cooked head gasket. If the smoke is thick and blue then it is oil burning.

To answer your query, it is never good to overfill engine oil because your cars engine builds oil pressure as it's running if you overfill the oil then you may cause your cars engine to build up more pressure then it can handle and this will cause problems like blown valve cover seals or....head gaskets. Unfortunately it looks as though you may have caused your car to blow a head gasket by overfilling the engine oil. "

I really hope it is not that and it just a oil filter gasket leaking, but it does seem highly unlikely something unconnected with you topping up the engine has suddenly manifested itself. :shrug:

• Like 1

Hi thanks the info, yes the dipstick showed very low level of oil (hardly any on cold) so I put 1 litre in there. The smoke was more white and steam like coming from under the bonnet, nothing coming from exhaust and certainly not blue. Coolant levels have all remained the same and operating temp on the gauge was all normal. Oil filler cap was on pretty tight already, and although dip stick was not flush jn it wasn't leaking our of here or the filler cap area as no visible oil to be seen in these areas. Hopefully it's not the headgasket, I understand labor cost on that is a big one :(

Seeing how much oil there was splattered about and it visibly dripping in the vid, I'd personally check the oil first thing again every morning before you put the keys anywhere near the ignition. If you've only put in 1 litre and that lot has been coming out for a while, who knows how much is in there.

I checked under the car the Morning after and again this morning plus checking dipstick level, no more Oil has leaked out to driveway from what you see in the video, so must only be a problem when car is running, Dipstick is showing just past the H mark. I haven't even turned her on since that video, next time i driver her will be next week when i drop her off to Alan at AC.

I checked under the car the Morning after and again this morning plus checking dipstick level, no more Oil has leaked out to driveway from what you see in the video, so must only be a problem when car is running, Dipstick is showing just past the H mark. I haven't even turned her on since that video, next time i driver her will be next week when i drop her off to Alan at AC.

I have my MOT on the 14th so will have a good look round her if she is still there.

I have my MOT on the 14th so will have a good look round her if she is still there.

Yeh that sounds great mate, i very well maybe picking it up on that day, I'm Booked in for work on Thursday 13th,

I'm unsure weather I should drive the Zed over to him, i asked Alan for flat bed pick up as i don't to do any more possible harm, he quoted £66 for local recovery, is this reasonable?