UK VS Import?

Ash87

Are there any disadvantages to getting an import?

I've noticed they tend to be cheaper to buy.

But is there any reason why I person should spend more money and get a UK model instead?

Just curious...

I think the insurance is more on imports. I don't think they have all the goodies of a UK GT either.

I'm sure there is a buying guide somewhere on the forum that lists all the advantages and disadvantages. Try giving it a search.

I think it looks good. Decent price, low mileage, fsh.

Just wanted to see what the general consensus was on here with regards to imports.

Very new to the 350z so still reading up on them. As many on here k ow a thing or two, I just wanted to see if there was any reason why I should refrain from buying one. It seems not...

Have a google, hundres of threads with these titles.

To sum up

There is no negatives to an import, UK's tend to have a few upgrades all which can be done on the imports, if not already, so other than that they are 99% identical.

And NO insurance is not drastically dearer than UK's if anything it's some times cheaper, but more less the same price.

• Like 4

Thank you for your replies.

It seems like a good shout.

After reading the info on here, the only draw back I've found is that they are limited to 112mph.

Is it a big/expensive job to deresteic one if it hasn't already been done?

Also, without trying to go faster than 112mph, are there any ways of knowing whether it is restricted or not?

Thank you for your replies.

It seems like a good shout.

After reading the info on here, the only draw back I've found is that they are limited to 112mph.

Is it a big/expensive job to deresteic one if it hasn't already been done?

Also, without trying to go faster than 112mph, are there any ways of knowing whether it is restricted or not?

Soon as you put the speed converter (kmh to mph) on you are not ltd to 112mph anymore :)

Edited by Jetpilot

Have a google, hundres of threads with these titles.

To sum up

There is no negatives to an import, UK's tend to have a few upgrades all which can be done on the imports, if not already, so other than that they are 99% identical.

And NO insurance is not drastically dearer than UK's if anything it's some times cheaper, but more less the same price.

I agree. Speaking from a wholly biased long term JDM owning perspective..

Insurance is person/company dependant - I've had 2 imports (Zed and Subaru) previously and neither had quotes any worse than UK.

UK GT pack - whoop-dy if you want a cassette player in your car, when you really want to upgrade to aftermarket double din touch screen. Lower JDM starting price means more money in the kitty for the aftermarket mods you really want. Cloths seats are comfy BTW in all weathers.

Many JDMs already come already fitted with Brembo brakes - some don't - so watch that if you want Brembos (you do).

JDMs can come with open diffs allegedly - again mine has the VLSD, so it varies. It appears the smooth diff pumpkin look doesn't always mean open.

Inflated scare stories about rust protection - recent imports tend to be imported rust free (imports are getting old now admittedly) but may have less under seal. I Dynax'd my rust free bucket when I bought it 4 years ago, and recently cleaned and Hammerited the entire underside. Looks beautiful down there now. I'm a bit too keen sometimes though.

UpRev is the best way to get rid of the Jap speed limit, after you've spent the extra money on exhausts, plenum spacer, etc. It may still have a 112MPH limit even after the KMH has been converted to MPH with a device, but this limit is deleted with UpRev ECM reprogramming ;)

If the car looks good - go for it :thumbs:

• Like 2

It may still have a 112MPH limit even after the KMH has been converted to MPH with a device

If the car looks good - go for it :thumbs:

Good write up and important advise, if the car is good, nothing wrong with imports.

A kmh to mph electronic converter chip will always delimit the car as the signal to the ecu still "thinks" it getting kmh, but where its been converted its dropped the pulse, if that makes sense.

If you had the old classic shape imprezza they operated a mechanical speedo, via cable, which didnt remove the limit.

Edited by Jetpilot

Yes and No :)

There are bodge devices like the HKS speed defencer that stops transmitting faster pulses above 175kmh (the Jap speed limit) - so make it look like 112MPH when actually travelling faster.

The conversion of KMH to MPH can be independent of that feature - it is possible to convert 'chip' KMH to MPH re-using JDM clocks as required by SVA and still have the limit - my car came that way (converted to MPH but 112MPH limit), so not 'always'.

On the other hand, the ECM has parameters called 'Speed Limiter (Throttle cut)', 'Rev Limiter (fuel cut)' and 'Rev Limiter (Fuel restore)' which are all accessible via ROM editor in the UpRev suite of programs. Reflash removes the limit completely :thumbs:

• Like 1

nope mine is an import and in the lower tax bracket

Just looked this up which I probably should have done before posting...

If the car was imported after the 2006 cut off, it will be in the higher tax band. So for example, you could have an 03 JDM car, imported in 07 and be paying the four hundred odd quid.

One to look out for anyway.

Mine's a Sept 03 JDM and its in the lower tax bracket. My car has already had the conversion from KMH to MPH when I bought it so it should exceed the 112 mph limit.Although I can't imagine any circumstances when it would be necessary to find out whether it did.

My JDM Zed seems to have been the 'Touring' configuration. I haven't found and disadvantage to having a JDM import

Having owned two imports in my last two cars once you actually own one you don't realise just how much you hear myths and the like about imports and how much of it is just nonsense. You are looking to buy a car which is ten years old, buy it on its merits get it checked over, you can still check for service history from when it arrived in the country - you take a chance that the car might have been mistreated in Japan but you have as much chance of that here too. I droves thousands of miles in my import cars and not once did I remember they were imports as I enjoyed those miles. If its a good car, go for it.

Mine's an import and still has the 112 MPH limit. Quite disconcerting on a track day when you have your foot down in 4th gear and suddenly hit the limit :wacko:

I would suspect most imports will have the 112 MPH limit, that's still far more than you can legally do on the roads anyway.

I have the cheaper road tax and the insurance isn't really any more expensive. Watch the insurance companies though I had direct line tell me they didn't insure imports after being with them for 2 years and claiming that I never told them it was an import (I always insure it as a Fairlady Z and am quite clear it is an import when I talk to insurance companies). Thank got nothing happened in those 2 years.

I brought an 05 JDM Import and at the same time i was looking at an 54 plate Uk Both similar mieage and insurance was £70 more expensive for the UK model. As with the seats and brakes etc, you can buy leather seats and upgrade to brembo brakes if you buy an import without then fitted.

Yes and No :)

There are bodge devices like the HKS speed defencer that stops transmitting faster pulses above 175kmh (the Jap speed limit) - so make it look like 112MPH when actually travelling faster.

The conversion of KMH to MPH can be independent of that feature - it is possible to convert 'chip' KMH to MPH re-using JDM clocks as required by SVA and still have the limit - my car came that way (converted to MPH but 112MPH limit), so not 'always'.

On the other hand, the ECM has parameters called 'Speed Limiter (Throttle cut)', 'Rev Limiter (fuel cut)' and 'Rev Limiter (Fuel restore)' which are all accessible via ROM editor in the UpRev suite of programs. Reflash removes the limit completely :thumbs:

My car was the same MPH clocks but wouldn't top 112mph

Do shop around on insurance, it is a black art, do not rely on price comparison sites and also read the Ts & Cs as companies like Admiral will not always replace like for like modified cars, even if you declare the mods and pay extra. Generally the reason I stay away from Admiral etc, they really are not concerned or understand modified cars.

My jdm had a speed chip converter which also delimited it, the chip played up so swapped it out for uk clocks and still no limit.

The only converter i could find for the 350z was this one (also delimits) http://www.svaspeedos.co.uk/product_info.html

Perhaps the advise would be to the op, check/ask how its been converted so you can be sure :)