Two Britons killed on the Grossglockner Pass, Austria

Bockaaarck

This, boys n girls...

http://www.theguardi...a-grossglockner

Is why when we attend or turn up to a forum meet or gathering. Someone stands up and talks about road safety, appropriate driving, no racing and consideration of road conditions, other road users and the general public.

Seemingly not an organised gathering in these circumstances, but this is just a reminder for us all to listen and think about what those people are saying when they say it.

• Like 1

Yeah saw that and quickly checked on a number of forums as I know a few people who were planning road trips!

125mph off the edge - scary stuff.

Just shows Col, it's all fun and games until someone takes a decision to overstep their ability, the road circumstances, the capability / suitability of the car etc.

where is it posted they were doing 125mph... having driven only recently along many high alpine passes I would be amazed if you could reach 125mph

I will admit to pushing along on some of the passes, who here wouldn't, but as soon as you start to race others on the road let alone a high alpine pass you are asking for trouble

silly way to lose your life and I can only imagine the terror as they wet through the rail...

"Another paper, Salzburger Nachrichten, reported the vehicles had been travelling at speeds of up to 124mph (200kph)."

Could've been anywhere, including a nice flat piece of road somewhere. I'm guessing that's just a made-up speed though, as in everyone who overtakes my Dad on the motorway "Must've been doing at least 100mph, the lunatic!". Or so says my Dad.

I don't like to make assumptions, but in this case I will make a suggestion. They may well have been through locations / passed / overtaken other vehicles travelling along that road / series of roads and people may have felt able to estimate speeds, either in an official or non-official capacity.

In any case, it doesn't change anything. Sadly they are both dead, which is very sad

Edited by Bockaaarck

But a nice flat piece of road somewhere is still a ridiculous place to do 125mph unless its on an autobahn or a race track?

But who knows, I can't claim to say 100% they were as much as no one can claim 100% they werent.

• Like 1

But a nice flat piece of road somewhere is still a ridiculous place to do 125mph unless its on an autobahn or a race track?

Speed kills then?

Inappropriate speed for the road conditions, fitted tyres, car maintenance / condtion, other road activity and circumstances, as well as car or driver capability seemingly can Dan

Edited by Bockaaarck

Speed kills then?

I would have thought so. Road conditions, car mechanical failures, other drivers, unexpected obstacles etc at higher speeds are much more likely to kill you than going slower where catastrophic incidents are more likely to occur?

Me getting hit by a car at 5mph is less likely to kill me than going at 100mph - a driver is less likely to react in time - the driver reacting at 100mph to avoid me will still hit me and probably lose control of the vehicle and kill themselves.

• Like 1

Why? In real terms what the difference between an empty motorway and the Kemmel straight? Except the motorway is wider, of course.

This "speed kills" stuff is bullshit, inattentive driving kills people. That includes speed when the conditions arent right for it, but if it was just "speed" that killed why dont we see more casualties on trackdays? God forbid anyone tells airline pilots or train drivers as well ......... :lol:

Maybe Im cut from a different cloth but I dont get this holier than though attitude to going faster than 70mph, you can be safe no matter what speed you are doing if youre aware and alert to the conditions.

• Like 8