New car decision - need some advise - imports

Tesmond

Thanks for the info...

I plan to make my decision by Feb 1st (as this is when I will now exactly how much I can spend etc.)

I really dislike the front of the G35 (I even think it looks worse than an RX-8...although judging by opinions earlier on the board I may be on my own :) )

The monaro sounds fun, but I suspect an XKR would be a better option, given that the XKR is faster 0-60 by 0.8 seconds! XKR has better mpg by 4... The interior seems to be higher quality, and you can get an XKR for £8000+ where as a Monaro is £12000+. I havent driven either so I cannot comment on what they are like to drive, but given the 19mpg Insurance group 20 £12K starting price I think I would need to look at the jag instead...

The only issue you'll have is 2 seats, seriously think about that and if you can live with it. That is the reason I had to part with mine as I couldn't take our niece out anywhere.

good luck :)

As the need for more than two seats is a big issue, but heavy MPG ain't , then do what rmmackfc has done and buy a Monaro - far better than the other options you have tried - the noise they make is just awesome and a great wolf in sheeps clothing meaning you don't get the wrong attention, until you put the peddle to the metal that is... ;)

It was my only choice :thumbs:

The monaro sounds fun, but I suspect an XKR would be a better option, given that the XKR is faster 0-60 by 0.8 seconds! XKR has better mpg by 4... The interior seems to be higher quality, and you can get an XKR for £8000+ where as a Monaro is £12000+. I havent driven either so I cannot comment on what they are like to drive, but given the 19mpg Insurance group 20 £12K starting price I think I would need to look at the jag instead...

be careful of XKR in the £8k bracket , they certainly will be pre 02 models, the earlier Xk engines have had serous problems with the Nikasil bore linings dropping to pieces with disastrous results (ie expensive ) :headhurt:

I'm a big Jag fan , having owned quite a few (in fact I have a S-type in my garage now ) but I certainly wouldnt entertain an early XK model at any price :surrender:

My Monaro sits around 19-20MPG, did 100 miles yesterday majority of it motorway 32MPG :)

I looked at XKRs, to much if something goes wrong was my opinion in the end. Lovely looking car though, but more of them drivin' around than the Thunder from Down Under :teeth:

...oh one other thing, both cars project very different images

XKR - sophisticated business man

Ro - Petrolhead who loves a good Barbie :lol:

Having now owned the Z for the last 6 months or so i am really starting to miss not been to squeeze two extra people in the back when the need arises (about once a week at the moment) B)

If money was no object than ill have GTR to replace the Z, but realistically cant wait for the Infiniti G37 coupe to go on sale here next year...with a nice spoiler and in black it'll look B) (IMO)

Infiniti-G37-Coupe-3-lg.jpg

Hi mate not read the treads all the way through, welcome, and in response, Ive not noticed the clutch to be heavy at all, infact its one of the best clutches Ive ever used, I use to have 3 different audi TT's and Toyota Celicas, And boot space, my sister has a Boxter 2.7 and I can fit much more in my boot space than she can, I am surpirsed that the boot space in the Z is quite big imo :thumbs:

I considered RX8 but whilst I personally like the looks I didnt like the fact of oil consumption every second time you fill up you have to check. Also the depriation is huge. But quite right it has 4 seats. If I was you Id do the following:

Sell your car put in bank, have kids then sell them on ebay, put money in bank, have wife, sell wife on ebay, put money in bank, go down to local nissan, put your name for new GT-R Jap import, hitch on trains for a month without paying, get new car 4 seats, very very quick, pick up hot stripper, marry her have kids, be happy, write a book on your life, sell the book, make millions be famous mention Zedrush in your book, hook me up with your hot stripper wifes mates, I get married, we sell wives, put money in the bank, buy a plane, fly to Brazil start a club, become muslim, have many wives, sell the kids, put the money in the bank, buy a bugatti veyron, be extra happy, sell me put money in the bank :thumbs::lol:

Personally thats what I think you should do :lol:

Hi mate not read the treads all the way through, welcome, and in response, Ive not noticed the clutch to be heavy at all, infact its one of the best clutches Ive ever used, I use to have 3 different audi TT's and Toyota Celicas, And boot space, my sister has a Boxter 2.7 and I can fit much more in my boot space than she can, I am surpirsed that the boot space in the Z is quite big imo :thumbs:

I considered RX8 but whilst I personally like the looks I didnt like the fact of oil consumption every second time you fill up you have to check. Also the depriation is huge. But quite right it has 4 seats. If I was you Id do the following:

Sell your car put in bank, have kids then sell them on ebay, put money in bank, have wife, sell wife on ebay, put money in bank, go down to local nissan, put your name for new GT-R Jap import, hitch on trains for a month without paying, get new car 4 seats, very very quick, pick up hot stripper, marry her have kids, be happy, write a book on your life, sell the book, make millions be famous mention Zedrush in your book, hook me up with your hot stripper wifes mates :thumbs:

You idiot :lol:

Sell your car put in bank, have kids then sell them on ebay, put money in bank, have wife, sell wife on ebay, put money in bank, go down to local nissan, put your name for new GT-R Jap import, hitch on trains for a month without paying, get new car 4 seats, very very quick, pick up hot stripper, marry her have kids, be happy, write a book on your life, sell the book, make millions be famous mention Zedrush in your book, hook me up with your hot stripper wifes mates :thumbs:

You idiot :lol:

:lol:

Having now owned the Z for the last 6 months or so i am really starting to miss not been to squeeze two extra people in the back when the need arises (about once a week at the moment) B)

If money was no object than ill have GTR to replace the Z, but realistically cant wait for the Infiniti G37 coupe to go on sale here next year...with a nice spoiler and in black it'll look B) (IMO)

Infiniti-G37-Coupe-3.jpg

If they badge it as an infiniti as expected it'll have an Infiniti price tag.

Sell your car put in bank, have kids then sell them on ebay, put money in bank, have wife, sell wife on ebay, put money in bank, go down to local nissan, put your name for new GT-R Jap import, hitch on trains for a month without paying, get new car 4 seats, very very quick, pick up hot stripper, marry her have kids, be happy, write a book on your life, sell the book, make millions be famous mention Zedrush in your book, hook me up with your hot stripper wifes mates, I get married, we sell wives, put money in the bank, buy a plane, fly to Brazil start a club, become muslim, have many wives, sell the kids, put the money in the bank, buy a bugatti veyron, be extra happy, sell me put money in the bank :thumbs::lol:

I'll have two pints of whatever he's been drinking. :thumbs::drunk::lol:

You've revealed your masterplan :lol:

this is the best and most useful post you have ever made here!! :yahoo:

Well, on the subject of cars and not Zedrushes crack fuelled money making schemes or his sister.....

The RX8 is great if you like the looks and can put up with the running costs. Low MPG and oil consumption. It has four sets and four doors. Great for a family man that wants a coupe looking car.

BMWs are fine. They do everything well but that's just it. They do it well, you picked up they have no soul.

The Zed, I have one so am biased. The boot is alright in my coupe, the clutch is fine but does take a day to get used to I suppose.

Other options, XKR - awesomely quick and I like jags. Expensive to repair and as Lomoto says, be wary or early cars. Monaro - kinda like the Zed. A bit of an overlooked gem.

New suggestions - 3.0 audi quattro - fairly quick, comfortable and good in the snow. An Alfa Romeo V6 - Massive depreciation, suspect build quality but if you get a good one it's a great car.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Just one thing though, which one does your heart want? We all reason that 2 seats isn't enough but it's amazing how you get by! :D

Clutch weight in the Zed is pretty average and I'm sure you would get used to it. Overall they are an excellent package for the money, fun, quick, reliable, reasonably well made and look the part. Biggest problem with an import is re-sale, although as you are looking at an Auto that tends to balance that out because anyone wanting an Auto Zed HAS to have an import.

RX-8 second hand is a bargain, your budget would get you a very late one. I recently did an 05 plate with 10k miles for £13,000 wheras a Zed that age and mileage would be £20k. I like them but you have to wring their necks to make them go, which can be fun but wearing after a while. Build quality is very nearly as good as the Nissan.

330Ci you really can't go wrong. They are relatively expensive to buy which means an older car with more mileage for your money, but they hold their value, they are well made nice looking a good drive, and since you like an Auto it's the only logical choice from your shortlist. Why ? Because Auto versions of "sports" cars are lemons and do not sell ( this is why there is no Auto 350z or RX8 in the UK market ), whereas 330Ci's only sell as Autos ( with Leather ) and as a manual you can't give them away.

Monaro is also not available as an Auto, and as for the XK8, much as I love them you would be buying quite an old car with your budget and could be heading for expense.

Good luck mate :thumbs: