Jump to content

coldel

Ex Team Member
  • Posts

    14,064
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by coldel

  1. I found that the genuine Nissan stuff worked best with some molyslip (or whatever its called!) - got mine off Alex back in the day, Clark Motorsport now...
  2. My dad, brother and I (about 48%/48%/4% contribution respectively!) changed my clutch with the car on jacks, it is a pain and as Alex said you probably need another jack under the car to support the gearbox with two guys working it as well. Took about 3 1/2 hours I think with a short sausage sandwich break in between - although both my dad and brother are car mechanics by trade so were not following a step by step guide as you might have to. Good luck with it mate!
  3. Doesnt float my boat sorry. Bodykit looks a different shade to the rest of the car (or maybe its the light?). Auto box...hmmm. No GT features. Seems like you are paying for the miles and little else?
  4. Ouch! geez that was bad luck, sorry to hear that. All I know is that it has never been replaced and has covered 57k miles. it feels fine. All 4 Zeds I have driven have a high biting point so I can't go on that either. I might get an oil change and an inspection at MOT time in a month from now. My clutch passed all the above mentioned tests when I test drove it, then 2k miles later at 41k miles it went - unfortunately it really is hit and miss with clutches on these cars, some last 40k miles some go to 100k depending on how the clutch has been treated in the past.
  5. Not for five grand...
  6. Havent driven a Z4 in any shape or form cannot comment, but those that have say its a very capable car? It is on paper a quicker car than the 350z in any format, and if I am brutally honest, its looks better in roadster form than the Zed if you like your drop tops. But it is still a BMW, and if you like your Jap cars, its hard to take that on the chin everyday if you own a Beemer!
  7. I do find the whole traders being secretive about prices just plainly wrong, fair play to those that have their prices up and for all to see on a website and then offered on here for a discount. But those who want to hide their prices from other traders, thats just daft and quite frankly a bit wrong. I think there are times when people plainly just forget to add a price, in which case the mods should give that 'nudge' but plainly ads where people are overt in wanting to field bids, should not only be locked but also deleted. I don't think bidding should be encouraged in here, if you want a bidding war, just stick the ad on eBay and be done with it.
  8. Thats because you haven't bought a Skyline yet...
  9. I can squat in the back of my R33 facing the child booster seat - am a touch under six foot tall and its easy to push the passenger seat forwards and folded carry little in facing the back of the car and fix him in whilst squatting in the rear seat footwell as it were. And I am nearly 40 and not at all flexible And for the number of times you need to actually do it, is it worth cutting in half your options?
  10. As above - 4 doors shouldn't be a deal breaker, I carry a 2 year old in and out of my skyline and plonk him in the back seat, plenty of access once the passenger seat is folded forwards.
  11. You can get R33 Saloons, in fact they are much cheaper than the coupes http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/nissan/skyline-r33/95-nissan-skyline-r33-gtst-4-door-fresh-import-manual-v-rare-45k-mls-kitted-up-kahn2-wheels-awesome-cond/2281976
  12. interesting.. I got bad results handling wise in the past when changing wheels from stock. Did you get them in the same dimentions as the standard wheels? Well I got some which were slightly wider but maintained the correct rolling diameter and a sensible offset (19s but with lower profile tyres). But it reduced unsprung weight by about 60% which is better for the car, I would have thought. Also if you buy crap off ebay and not proper branded wheels you are probably getting something that will not improve the handling (although look better)
  13. Wheels will make a big difference, I went from those touring wheels to some Volks Racing wheels, lets just say the difference in weight and subsequently handling is very noticable
  14. Ignore gangzoom mate our two year old is demanding, but amazing, it doesnt stop your life, just means you have to be more organised and more willing to go the extra yard to make things happen. Just this weekend gone my wife and I went to Oslo for three days for a city break, the inlaws stayed at our house during that time looking after Alfie. I rarely miss a Zed meet in my area - I even took Alfie along to one when he was a baby and just learning to walk! Just need to learn to give each other space to do your own thing, be organised about it and get a calendar on the wall so its staring you right in the face each day and you get the best of both worlds - a baby that is amazing but also still get to do things you did before. A side effect we found was that you tend to drop the things that you thought were important but actually you dont miss when they are gone. Think of it as 'Lifestyle Streamlining'
  15. Its a fair point - although did you mean you wanted a quick car and used the ring time as a benchmark - or you intending to do it? You will owe back some serious brownie points if you do, you wont be allowed out for months! We have a two year old, never had a need for an estate car - not sure what you would need it for? Kid goes in the back, you still have a spare seat and room in the back, buggy and cases in the boot. Job done. We have a Ford Focus for the family weekends away etc, never had a problem fitting stuff in.
  16. For £5K? Yep
  17. coldel

    Tesla Model S

    Just got back from Oslo, these things were everywhere - as common as a Ford Focus over there - clearly they have stricter emmissions over there!
  18. The exhaust tat on eBay is pretty crap, as any shred of common sense would be screaming at you if its the cheapest option on ebay vs 10 others more expensive ones chances are its crap. Speak to the traders on here for properly fitting branded stuff like exhausts and the like. CS and Tarmac are a good start. Weight savings, I think a member on here Wasso knocked about 80kgs off his car by stripping plenty out including the sound deadening material in the boot.
  19. coldel

    The R33

    Cheers guys, got the car where I want it to be - but still have the urge to *tinker* - maybe swap out the induction kit for something else. More shiny bits. etc!
  20. coldel

    The R33

    Ceramic turbos means much reduced lag, but at the expense of ability to deal with excessive power hence keeping it to around the 0.8bar mark. You can get steel wheeled turbos but they do spin up slower, but then the skies the limit on boost - I am happy with mine as its very drivable out on public roads.
  21. coldel

    The R33

    Well, update time. Steering rack bushes were on the last MoT as an advisory, so those have been changed out for some aftermarket ones - has transformed the steering so much more feel to the drive now. Also, had a brilliant visit to Horsham Developments, Jez is a top bloke and really took the time to talk to me, listen to what I wanted and did the job professionally and quickly. A few garages I have used do tend to treat you a bit like an idiot, but really liked the way Jez handles his customers - really would recommend anyone in the area using those guys for work. Anyway, car is now officially at stage 1, I installed a new boost gauge along with an adjustable HKS turbo actuator - I could have pushed it up to the limit on boost but decided to give the turbo a decent amount of leeway in terms of safe boost so asked for it to be set to 0.8bar. Very happy with the results, smooth power curves, safe fuelling, non of the infamous flat spots at circa 4k revs.
  22. Good pics guys, sorry to hear Zhorno although you did seem to hex the whole track moment with your talk of budget tyres and that in advance! Shame I couldn't make it, but was busy spending £8-£10 per beer in Oslo
  23. I believe you can buy a spacer pipe to make 350z exhausts fit the longer 350gt's?
  24. Popped you a PM shaun
×
×
  • Create New...