Jump to content

coldel

Ex Team Member
  • Posts

    14,064
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by coldel

  1. As a recent video showed on here (was it a 1000bhp golf?) you can mod anything to be quick in a straight line, doesn't mean you would have it over a GTR which has the full performance package. Astra VXR syndrome it should be called! Goes in a straight line, buggered if gets to a corner
  2. I would be absolutely livid but plan your approach carefully mate, going around there with a couple of mates can get nasty (he slams the door and rings up some bigger mates - If you tried that on with a few people I know back in Essex it would be a painful and short experience for you!) or you get the old bill rock up and cart you off. You can always escalate the issue from a reasonable start, its much more difficult to go in all mouth shouting and then de-escalate it to a resolution. Chances are the guy has pulled a fast one - but its up to you to get that cash back (based on recent thread does trade descriptions apply here?) in the most effective way.
  3. With so many good history UK cars and many modified I would agree with GMB on this, I looked at the import route for my R33 but ended up buying one already here and had all the work done to it already. It will cost you extra ££££ on top of the auction price to import and will have to wait 3 months'ish for it to arrive. Come resale time you will have the same issue that is potentially a bonus to you now, that owning an import it will have grey history and it will be worth less and harder to sell on. If you want to continue down this route the importers I was speaking with were: Torque GT (who seemed the best of them) DCY Europe SVA JM Imports (on this site you can get access to the Jap auction sites live to see whats there - go to sales/auctions section)
  4. Always the same ... "Beeeeeeeep, Beeeeeeeep, Bee-go" the person beeping getting the jump on the other one - it really is ridiculous
  5. I would be very surprised if you could import one fresh off the boat for £6k with that spec list - there is a fair cost to add to imports along with the auction costs. There is no shortage of 350z's for sale at the moment, last time I looked 150 odd on AT, about half that on PH and so on and so forth. Import cars tend to be cheaper as people have a fear of grey history cars but you have to know what you are looking at, as I said the spec varies on imports vs UK cars where its very easy to spot if its a GT or not. I would also think about reconsidering the mileage requirement, for £6k you are not going to find many under 60k KM if at all - probably in the 80k miles mark I would think at that budget and look for decent service history but more importantly receipts of work done.
  6. Its driving in a straight line from about 50mph - performing like a GTR. I would suspect the Zed doesn't have launch control and that any element of twisty would mean the four wheel drive GTR just goes away from it. You would have to throw a lot of money at the Zed to get it up to the same performance of a GTR overall I would think.
  7. Funnily enough that was what I linked a few pages back col...... Missed that, honest!
  8. Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life as a member of the 350z forum...once you join, you never leave
  9. GTR all day also...would have been interesting to see them from a standing start...I would expect as well in the bends the GTR is set up to hand 500bhp whereas the Zed probably (unless a small fortune has been chucked at it) isn't?
  10. Import insurance is now almost on par with UK cars from what I have seen - if you were getting double you were speaking to the wrong insurance agent. UK cars came in two specs, GT and non-GT, imports will have various grades of spec in-between those so be sure to check all the extras to see what they mount up to (or not as the case may be!). Imports tend to be cheaper to buy, but a well researched one will be a bargain. Zeds are heavy but they carry a fair amount of grunt, can handle well once you have the right suspension and bracing in place. They are GT cars first and foremost but still ok handling wise for what they are.
  11. coldel

    New vanquish

    Needs nothing done to it - stunning!
  12. I thought someone on here wrapped their matte grey and looked pretty good - sure it came up something like this...
  13. Maybe at some point but I am in quite a nicely paid job at the moment (not one I particularly enjoy mind you) and have plenty of overheads...maybe one day...
  14. I am utterly hopeless at anything practical - if I had my time again, I would do a degree again..!
  15. Love cars with the wide arch/body kits, really sets them apart.
  16. Thats the point though isn't it Alex. That some career paths you will need a degree to get your foot in the door. For others you do not. My wife doesn't have a degree I do, up until a couple of years ago we were on the same salary. For jobs like law, engineering etc I would imagine having a degree gives you a very good chance of getting that first job vs someone who has just left school and doesn't have one. I am sure there are plenty of people without degree's who did other things which resulted in a well paid job. That said pretty sure I saw some stats about degree type (i.e. maths based, engineering based etc) vs the country average earnings and on average they were much higher.
  17. Exactly that mate, for our grad roles at the company I work at we get 300+ applications per role. Its not possible to interview all of them to ascertain personality or get a feel for them (if anyone does have time then clearly they have the easiest job in the world). For grad roles i.e. getting their foot in the door early in their career I - clearly the easiest way to start cutting them down is appropriate degree/training and go from there - in the hundreds of CVs we receive for grad roles the experience is usually non-existent or not appropriate.
  18. They look perfect... ...for corsas/saxos/pugs with blacked out windows, crap exhausts and a max power output of 80bhp.
  19. Its the way it goes sometimes! You set yourself up for a career then end up doing something else...no issue with that really, its hard to think you stay motivated doing the same thing for 50 years...
  20. I used a stick on plate on my Zed, almost impossible to spot the difference to just sticking the plastic plate on - up close clearly a much cleaner look to the car.
  21. I was exaggerating the point on the fees btw I know lots of people were opposed to fee's at the time, but a large swath of the population were for it - I just don't think they appreciated at the time (I am talking back in 1994 not the debates on the £8k fees introduced in the last few years) the wheels they were putting in motion and where it would end up. As I said, if you want to get into a particular career you need to look at the entry requirements and meet them as best you can. I would imagine law firms would like people to have law degrees/education if they are going to take them on, doctors ideally should have the required educational qualifications which are usually degrees and car mechanics had what was required, which might be experience/vocational/training but not a degree. Are degree's essential, to give yourself the best chance of getting into a career where it is a pre-requisite yes I think they are.
  22. I always wanted to go to uni, when I was 10 I made a point of getting through all my maths SMP early so I could get onto secondary school work which they sent over from the nearest school. I took pure maths, applied statistics and business studies a levels, did a stats and economics degree. It was what I planned for for years, other people around the time I was going to uni never put a minutes thought into it and just went for it in the absence of anything else to do - this was back in the day of no fees. Over time people saw this as a good chance for a jolly and the quality of entrant in my view decreased as uni's got money from the government to fill places. The public were shouting from every roof top that students should pay for their university education (funny how fickle the public are eh...look at them now) as it was viewed as a jolly. If you hate degree fees, you only have the generation before you to blame... Anyway, thats the history lesson over are degrees worth it? Of course they are, it is absurd to believe otherwise. There are many careers where a degree is a requirement to start out on, you won't even make it to interview without that on your CV. There might be instances where people start out on careers without it but those are more in the minority. Nowadays degrees are not special that make people stand out, they are a hygiene factor in selection for interviews i.e. you have to have one to be considered and its all the other stuff on your CV that sets you apart. I am sure there are people who disagree, who run their own businesses and would choose on personality, but there is a difference there - that they are risking their own money and are entitled to go on gut feel - but for most jobs which are with larger organisations recruiters are faced with hundreds of applicants per job, if the job in question is one that requires a specific skill set that is degree based then the only way to filter is on degree. Clearly if someone is recruiting for an entry level job working as a car mechanic, then me applying with my degree vs someone with no degree but 2 years working in garage is going to make my application pretty much worthless. If you want a particular career, look into what the interview requirements are at entry level and find out what they want. If they want a degree then you should go for it. Just as an aside, its picking the right degree at the right uni that is important, not just going for the 'best' uni on the list. There are quite a lot of misconceptions that Oxford and Cambridge are the places to go if you want the best but it varies wildly by qualification. Coventry no one would bat an eye at, but if you want to get into engineering its one of the best uni's in Europe - they built the land speed record Thrust cars there etc. and house a Mercedes sponsored wind tunnel, they have a fully working Harrier Jump Jet in one of the labs and so on and so forth. Any recruiter worth their salt will know what uni's do good degrees for the role they are recruiting to and not just look at uni names.
  23. ...and for the Grundy's of this world?
  24. Or blag your way into a wind tunnel...
×
×
  • Create New...