Jump to content

coldel

Ex Team Member
  • Posts

    14,064
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by coldel

  1. Good article though, funny thing is people secretly admire us petrolheads that have a passion for cars. My manager she doesnt care for cars and badgered me for ages because I had this picture on my laptops wallpaper: She said I have a beautiful family and a gorgeous son so why not have a photo of them, so she put it in my objectives (kid you not), so I put this on it: So it caused a good joke in the team, but joking aside, many people said its fantastic that I have a passion that I follow so closely as many people do not. We shouldn't underestimate the passion we bring out in our cars
  2. As always Gotta be on a final warning now
  3. Sorry I was messing. Ah so you got the coilpacks at last - mate you need to get the car on the road, you owe me a hotlap!
  4. Ha, I would be too busy polishing my car mate!
  5. First line: "Since delivery 10 weeks ago it has covered 1000 miles" Ive done more than that in the last 3 days, and Ill do more than 55 miles (its range when very cold) today alone. Not being funny but if youre doing an average of 14 miles a day and you want to be eco friendly a pushbike is a lot cheaper and doesnt need 9 hours charging every night. The report itself says "if you live in a city" but if you live in a city then why not use public transport for your 7 miles each way? Twas a point I made on another thread. Ideally these suit cities, but, during the week I would wager 90% of people living in London zones 1-6 commute on public transport to work and on the weekends I think I would prefer something a bit more fun than an EV. Many people in cities do not own 'dailies'...
  6. Ha, really! Dude he is the leather man!
  7. Yes! I am much happier with my 5 spokes now, so easy to get inside the wheel and clean it up!
  8. Its not a fixation, its something which most people voting to leave do not seem to be considering but is the one thing that is most likely to have the biggest impact on individual lives if we do leave. I see your point above (although you can vote), but that is part of the price you pay to be in a more powerful trading position. To make a large trading group made up of different economies work, you need consistent rules across the group.
  9. Good stuff fella, will own one of these at some point I am sure! Shame about the refurbs, amazing how many companies react so badly when challenged on their workmanship, just shows how commercially idiotic some people are.
  10. Darren is the 4th emergency service
  11. Just don't pay it, it doesnt cost £100 an hour to park there...
  12. Get an R34 GTR in Bayside Blue and be done with it!
  13. Ha! I actually agree with some parts of the article, but I was really just trying to add some balance to it For reference, I have clicked Unsure on my poll but swerving towards staying until I see something concrete from the Leave campaign that says what business model they are going to adopt (i.e. bi-lateral like the Swiss, Customs Union like Turkey or just a Free Trade Agreement (which I would put my money on if we left) etc.)
  14. Its not fear, its understanding the reality of how we currently work as a trading partner in the EU.Its about making an informed decision. Are you being a coward if before you bought a car you looked into the history, understood as much about the car as you can, checked it over with an expert before you stumped up your cash - would a braver person stomp across the forecourt and slap ten grand on the table and swipe the keys away without even looking at it?
  15. Honestly, read up, its not a leap its a fact and many countries trade in this way with the EU now. For example any country trading with the EU under a Free Trade Agreement whilst not under the EU banner is automatically subject to tariffs, lets take for example the Central External Tariff. Under this tariff food stuffs are subject to 15% and cars 10% duty to the importing country outside the EU which we will have to pay. So you immediately have those tariffs imposed on imports from the EU to the UK. The opposite also applies, exporting into the EU will be subject to additional tariffs. In terms of the trading deals that will need to be struck, we will also have to negotiate what is effectively a debate on 'do you need us more than we need you' - at the moment we run at a trading deficit, we import more goods than we export, you could argue that means we need them more than they need us. Its more difficult to dictate terms if you are in that financial arrangement with a trading partner. This is where the nervousness of major businesses are coming from, car manufacturers are one to consider, we export more cars than any other country in the UK, any financial impact on that trade will see the potential for manufacturers to up and move into an EU state to retain that trading status.
  16. I would recommend you google keywords such as free trade agreements within the EU and similar, this will explain how we currently operate in a bloc which is effectively a free market vs how it works if you are outside it. Leaving will (and campaigners agree on this on both sides) result in negotiations of new trade agreements the outcome of which will impact GDP - this could be positive or negative. It impacts jobs, economy and trade its so wide reaching I guess this is why Adrian is shocked that people are not showing any interest. I also think referring to 1970's as a reason for why things would behave the same now is somewhat irrelevant, the economic landscape is so far different its like saying turbos are useless on cars, they didn't need them in the 70's so why need them now...
  17. Hey JP, I had a quick glance through the first half, it does feel quite a biased report (but as they are presenting reasons why rather than looking at all the pillars that should make up a decision and debating the pros and cons thats not surprising) but anyway some thoughts... The EU is still in a relative infancy in terms of economic development, the fact that so many countries have added to the mix in just a couple of decades has compounded this. People tend to think that maybe 50 years is an age, but in economic terms is no time at all. For example the time given in the EU constitution for a country to exit the EU, just kick off 'how' it will actually happen is 2 years with a 1 year extension option. The person also opens saying that the EU doesn't work together to solve issues like the Greek finance and the refugee crisis. I agree more could be done on the side of the Greeks, but there are clear guidelines when entering the EU on financial behaviour which the Greeks violated, more than once, the EU is not failing to act, its actually acting in line with how it should. The refugee crisis is unprecedented, but there are plenty of examples in the past where one country had to handle unprecedented refugee migration and failed unilaterally to sort it out. So I am not too convinced of the opening argument. They then go on to say how strong we are in the EU and that they feel we are propping it up. Two things, firstly if we are so strong, why campaign to leave. Secondly, quite obviously, how can they prove we would be so strong if we were not in the EU? Most could argue that position because we are there, but its impossible to disprove that. is the EU in decline? 37% world GDP in 1973 vs 22% in 2025 they claim - they deliberately ignore what the current EU GDP is, which is 23% - so the EU is not in decline. It HAS declined, of course it will have with the emergence of the Tiger economies in the 90s then BRIC (basically China and India) more lately. So including the other piece of data the current GDP the EU is predicted to decline by 1% over the course of 10 years, its not so startling a headline... Sorry thats as far as I got...got a 1:30 meeting now!
  18. At least get one now, enjoy it for a year and take in the summer and sell next year...you gotta try owning a lightweight sports car at least once in your life
  19. Is it really that serious for most people? I can understand that for someone with their own business (such as yourself) there might be implications, but I seriously doubt it will affect the average person. I would imagine that it will cause the markets to slow a bit and some people might lose their jobs etc., but it's not like being in the EU has stopped that before, or would prevent it happening going forward. If cost of imports goes up (and lets consider that say 75% of whats in your average supermarket is imported) because the trade deals agreed are not as favourable as being in the EU, the cost for you to eat goes up. Some worst case scenarios put it at potentially thousands of pounds out of pocket on everyday good costs. So yes, the impact could be very real, the EU 'in' trade deals are there to ensure massive businesses can trade across the free market - businesses that sell food, electronics, etc. It couldnt be any more impactful on day to day. Of course the flip side is we exit and the government pulls together the worlds leading team on trade negotiations and the EU generally bends over backwards for us to give us deals as good as or better than we have now. Thats the risk, it could go either way. This is more important (and I don't mean this flippantly) financially to 'man on the street' than the Scottish out referendum. As for Ady's business, its the same as any parts manufacturing business that uses the EU, their prices go up, your prices go up. It affects everyone in the chain.
  20. The Evening Standard and Metro in London are so biased its almost becoming a joke to read. The two page spread on Zac Goldsmith in the Metro where he waxes lyrical about the EU exit on his morals (of which he has few despite his environmentalist stance) should have had 'Advertising Feature' written at the top of it - I haven't seen the equivalent article on Sadiq Khan yet...
  21. I used to turn up to my client meetings in my VX220 always got a wave off the gate control at Unilever's offices
  22. Here's a very real scenario for you, by August this year Boris Johnson is prime minister, the UK is out of Europe and sat in a transitional state of economy with the pound plummeting in value, major businesses are sitting in board rooms talking about where to relocate their industy and Scotland are campaigning hard for a second referendum to exit the UK. I admit David Cameron is hardly pulling up trees at the moment, but that scenario simply fills me with despair...
  23. So given a months notice they do nothing, it goes public, sorted in a day - typical corporate nonsense.
  24. Engine is going to be epic mate - although make sure its run in before Scotland, not going to get stuck behind you changing gear at 3000 revs each time
  25. Well there you go, many more Suspect the 1m living in Spain are over the age of 65 though
×
×
  • Create New...