Missing services - Should I be concerned?

geg1992

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a Zed.

The service history intervals are as follows:

P1 Service - 6969 miles, 11/2006

P2 Service - 9078 miles, 11/2007

P1 Service - 10690 miles, 11/2008

P3 Service - 12844 miles, 11/2009

P1 Service - 16808 miles, 12/2011

Presitge - 28632 miles, 11/ 2012

P1 Service - 38486 miles, 05/ 2015

Should I worry about this? The car is in fantastic condition and looks fine mechanically. My only concern is the gaps in the servicing and it's re-sale value. Does this count as full service history?

I wouldn't be that worried about it - however for piece of mind i'd give it a full service including plugs and belts as soon as I bought it. And also check the condition of the tyres for age cracks. has the car been garaged?

I'd be more concerned with the type of driving its done (take best estimate from what the seller says) and what fuel its been run on (again, ask the seller, judge his response). one would hope it was just a weekend summer car, and when it has been driven its been given a decent run to let everything get up to temp.

Id be more concerned about what it says of the owners attitude towards the car. If they cant even be bothered to get it serviced, what else have they skimped on or put-off too? 95 Ron comes to mind for starters.

Edited by Sargara

playing devils advocate, I think you need to know the whole story really... 10k miles in 3 years could be 500 in y1, 500in y2 and 9000 in y3. and I don't think many buyers of Nissan 350zs would service a car that's only done 500miles a year.

if it had done 3-4k each year then yes, it should be serviced. however if it was in a garage for two years or had very minimal use, I wouldn't expect to see a service - its not a £2m Ferrari!

but then again, the conditional based service in a BMW may mean that the oil doesn't get changed for many years, and would still class as a full service history. I plan to go against that and change the oil every year or every 10k miles, whichever comes first. which will likely be long before the car requests an oil change!

Apparently it had done such low mileage that they didn't bother. That's understandable. What could go wrong from not servicing it for 10k / 2.5 years? Surely the oil wouldn't change much? I'd understand if it was a cambelt but if it's a chain?

Apparently it had done such low mileage that they didn't bother. That's understandable. What could go wrong from not servicing it for 10k / 2.5 years? Surely the oil wouldn't change much? I'd understand if it was a cambelt but if it's a chain?

Oil turns to sludge, gums up passages in the engine, leads to issues later in life. Modern cas are better for having done more mileage not less, and not changing the oil for three years is just daft.

I took mine off the road almost a year ago. Was only meant to be for the winter but with family life & house renovations getting on the way it's likely to be in the garage on a trickle charge for the next winter at least. I didn't service it before it came off the road as it had only done 1200 miles with the oil still looking fresh. The intention was/is to have her serviced as soon as she's back on the road but by then it could have been1.5-2 years with no stamp in the book. I don't see that as an issue personally.

I hear you but if my service book records 1200 mile over two years between oil changes would you really expect people to be asking that question. I may change they oil as you say & keep a receipt for it to show. But what's to say if someone did that that the receipt wasn't for another car etc.

I hear you but if my service book records 1200 mile over two years between oil changes would you really expect people to be asking that question. I may change they oil as you say & keep a receipt for it to show. But what's to say if someone did that that the receipt wasn't for another car etc.

How about I run it up and down to work and back (instead of using the train)til you are ready to use it again and I'll get it serviced for you 😉

Edited by Davectr

I'd ask, and so would anyone with any common sense. I'd also be happy with a receipt as proof, as long as it was the correct grade and the correct filter.

Three years without a service?!

I'd want it for very cheaps, looking at that.

My roadster was last serviced Nov 2013

It will be serviced Nov this year having probably put 4000 miles on

I don't worry about missing a service with low mile usage

Modern day oils and fluids don't degrade and break down over that period

I don't see that as being detrimental when coming to sell the car

Rob

10k miles and 3 years with the same oil........no thanks.

No issue with low miles between services but I would still expect annual oil change. It's easy and cheap to switch the oil so what else has the buyer missed?

Just my thought anyway.

Which is fine, if you're the one buying the car that you're selling....

If however the buyer is someone else, someon who disagrees with that (and there's plenty of reason on this thread to suggest that a number of people would see it as questionable if not detrimental) then all you're doing is reducing your target market for, as Ekona says, the sake of saving £40.

Which is fine, if you're the one buying the car that you're selling....

If however the buyer is someone else, someon who disagrees with that (and there's plenty of reason on this thread to suggest that a number of people would see it as questionable if not detrimental) then all you're doing is reducing your target market for, as Ekona says, the sake of saving £40.

But a £40 receipt for oil is not a replacement for service history as the OP was about

I,m saying that if I were to sell mine, or be looking to buy one that had low mileage, was what I was looing for but had missed a service, that would not put me off and the price will not greatly reflect this

Rob

It seems like it was driven as follows: Y1: 8000 miles, Y2: 1000ish Y2.5 1000ish too.

I'm putting a small deposit down to secure it as it's the best looking one I've seen. Then will get my mate who's a mechanic to look it over.