*** TORQEN *** TORQEN partnerships with AAM to develop RHD version TwinTurbo kit

Adrian@TORQEN

Updated on this, too:

"We are still working to dial in the fitment. The first 3D printed exhaust manifold I sent pictures of did not provide enough clearance for the steering shaft, so our engineer had to make some modifications. We are now on our second 3D printed manifold. I’ll be sure to let you know how everything is looking with the newest changes."

Edited by Adrian@TORQEN
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm.. I think the Performance intake plenum is now their 1st priority, making the RHD exh manifold their 2nd priority. They have not many employees if Im not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update from AAM:

"We are still working on clearance solutions. It’s very finicky, as adjustment in either direction can cause interference with the wastegate against the block or the steering shaft against the turbine housing. We manufactured a steering knuckle spacer which helped a little, but did not completely resolve our concerns. Our engineering has a few more ideas that we can use to try and iron everything out. We will keep you posted!"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update from AAM:

"We are still working on clearance solutions. It’s very finicky, as adjustment in either direction can cause interference with the wastegate against the block or the steering shaft against the turbine housing. We manufactured a steering knuckle spacer which helped a little, but did not completely resolve our concerns. Our engineering has a few more ideas that we can use to try and iron everything out. We will keep you posted!"

Any further update?

Without trying to sound like a trouble maker, and I genuinely don't mean it to come across that way, but how on earth is this project taking them so long? I mean, if they were bakers having a go in their spare time I'd understand it, but they're professionals who do this for a living. It should not be beyond their remit to have had this completed and on the market in the original 6 month projected window, so to be over a year down the line and it's *still* not ready smacks of either the wrong people in charge of the project, an impossible task which should be given up on, or genuine incompetence.

It's genuinely baffling. Not knocking Adrian or Torqen at all on this one, this is aimed directly at AAM.

• Like 1

Update:

-----

Hey Adrian,

We are still working hard on the RHD twin turbo system project. We are now on our third revision of the exhaust manifold, which we will have 3D printed again to test fit. Our engineer is exploring the option of using alternate wastegates in order to free up the small amount of space we need with the third revision of the manifold.

We apologize for the delay. Please be sure to let your customers know that we do not want to sacrifice quality for the sake of a faster turn-around time. We want to provide a perfect solution for the RHD platform.

Hope everything is well your way. Talk to you soon!

• Like 1

It wouldn't fill me with confidence if they've had to start for a third time. Also, it's not that hard to use blocks to mock up the manifold before doing it out of metal. These things are awesome, they can make any shape you can out of metal and are relatively cheap:

featuresstep.JPG

Or, failing that, why don't they just order someone elses RHD kit and look at how theirs has been done. It's not like it's never been done before. It basically just looks like it's not at the top of their priority list. I genuinely feel sorry for HaydnH for being without for so long and also you Adrian as it's not a delay of your doing, but it doesn't look great on AAM at the moment :shrug:

edit: spelling

Edited by AliveBoy

Matt,

It's a 3rd revision, not a 3rd start, movings things more to the left, more to the right etc :)

There's no other RHD TT kit for the 370z as far as I know. Even if there was one, they all use different setups, turbo housings, waste gates etc.

HaydnH has his car at home, is not with us. Once the new manifolds arrive, we will ask HaydnH to bring the car back or we will collect it from him so we can do the installation.

I've discussed with the COO from AAM, so let's hope things move a little bit faster now.

Edited by Adrian@TORQEN

• 1 month later...

Update received on 7th of September, completely forgot to post it here:

"We are currently in the process of installing and test fitting what we hope to be our last RHD twin turbo system exhaust manifold prototype. We are performing a full twin turbo system installation on our shop 370Z, which currently utilizing the RHD steering assembly components you’ve provided. This will allow us to ensure that fitment is top-notch and there are no clearance issues anywhere within the system. As soon as installation has been verified, we can begin the molding/casting process for RHD twin turbo system exhaust manifold production units."

Update received last week, sorry didn't get a chance to update!

So the manifold is done, the turbo housing and the wategate actuator also done, it's a matter of doing the castings / produce the parts!

I have received photos with the new setup, but we prefer not the share the full details here until it arrives in UK :) All customers have received the photos.

Shouldn't be very long now. It's been a very long journey, but once they're all ready, they will be the most powerful kits available for 370z and 350z HR in UK!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Big news, dear friends!!!

======

Latest update from AAM Competition:

"The RHD TT systems are now officially in production! Tooling for the exhaust manifold casting has been completed and we expect to receive our first batch of manifolds by the end of next week. Assuming there are no unforeseen issues, this would mean that we could begin shipping as soon as final testing is performed in the next 2 – 3 weeks."

======

Edited by Adrian@TORQEN

• 4 weeks later...

So how long until it's fitted?

Weeks, I believe. Trying to squeeze a visit to AAM in USA as we speak, before heading off to India in January, but I'm struggling with the time, December is very busy.

I'm waiting for them to come back to me with the parts from your LHD kit that need to be sent to USA and replaced with the RHD ones, should be early next week.

Don't forget we need to sort out what happens from the downpipes down, 3" vs 2.5" exhaust.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hows this getting on

Sorry, forgot to reply!

The parts are now available for new kits, 1 week to build the kit, 1 week to get it in UK. They're putting together the required parts for Haydn and René's cars now (manifold, downpipe, wastegate etc), should be able to ship to UK at the end of next week.

• 1 month later...