Please do not post full number plates

M13KYF

• 2 months later...
That is your choice and that is fine but what if you wanted it to be kept private while on the internet. You wouldn't like it if someone else went and posted it up. 2 number plates were posted earlier and they weren't members or users as you put it.

I refer back to what I said earlier.

I just thought that if a number plate is posted it should at least be by the owners permission.

I agree with not posting the plate without the owners permission. A lot of cars on auction sites have there plate covered up. One reason is you can get applications to see the name and address of the registerd keeper. So if they posted on here they are off on holiday they could be burgled. The one that gets me was a neighbor of mine upset someone and they had identical cars. 2.8 granada. The upset guy got some plates made the same as my neighbors and would put them on his car and speed through gatso's and hit over 100mph on the Motorway. On one occasion he filled up the car with fuel and did not pay from a local garage.

Just imagine the inconvenience.

It has to be up to the individual plus number plates are covered by the data protection act as they expose private details:)

Peter

NECROPOSTING IS NECRO

It has to be up to the individual plus number plates are covered by the data protection act as they expose private details:)

Don't be daft, no they're not.

Pretty sure its public information and therefore open info for anyone. Same as your name, date of birth, voters roll status, bankruptcies , ccjs etc.

Having been the victim of a cloning of one of our vans, and the huge amount of hassle, time and paperwork to sort it all out, I for one would now be very wary of posting my full reg on the internet. Having said that, they probably just saw it parked up. I also dislike google earth showing burglars a good escape route from my house and google street for showing them close ups of my security or lack of. I'm also paranoid that my son is telling all his "new friends" on facebook when we are in or not.

It's the world we live in unfortunately.

NECROPOSTING IS NECRO

Don't be daft, no they're not.

I actually laughed at that :lol:

If they were covered by the data protection act they wouldn't be bloody emblazoned across your car!!!

The information relating to them is not publicly/legally available.

i always though that people didnt like this for when it comes to selling the car, anyone can google the number plate and find loads of posts (good or bad) that could put buyers off.

could be wrong? personally it doesnt bother me though.

JM

• 2 months later...
whist as you all say it is a personal choice but for the life of me I can't understand all the need for hidding stuff away

Most users use a user name so your real name is hidden

Most users hide thier car number in photos so that is hidden

now lets look at when you go to a meeting and there are say three blue 350 there and a first time member goes he will have no chance of knowing who is who and whose car is whose

As club cars get a bit older they are remembered and known by thier reg number

I know I don't own a 350

But hey I am proud to be Steve Burns (username as well) and I am proud of my car and its number plate PAD 500W

I am also proud that photos of it, showing its plate, have been included in a book and national car magazines

Its also nice when someone says oh I remember PAD when it was owned by Mr F or one of its later owners

I agree 100% with you.

whist as you all say it is a personal choice but for the life of me I can't understand all the need for hidding stuff away

Most users use a user name so your real name is hidden

Most users hide thier car number in photos so that is hidden

now lets look at when you go to a meeting and there are say three blue 350 there and a first time member goes he will have no chance of knowing who is who and whose car is whose

As club cars get a bit older they are remembered and known by thier reg number

I know I don't own a 350

But hey I am proud to be Steve Burns (username as well) and I am proud of my car and its number plate PAD 500W

I am also proud that photos of it, showing its plate, have been included in a book and national car magazines

Its also nice when someone says oh I remember PAD when it was owned by Mr F or one of its later owners

I agree 100% with you.

:scare: 4 years

A lot of the time number plates are covered up by sellers so you can't do a check. These checks include how many owners and what the car is worth ie Private. Dealer or at Auction. I have a phone app and it costs me £2.50 to get all the info. However it does not tell me the name and personal details of current and fromer keepers. Even the Police have to log and have a very good reason for requesting a number plate check. Otherwise they are in the @*!#.

A lot of people tend to hid their number plates due to insurance purposes. I.e. someone mentions doing 130mph down XYZ road, or modding their car which is now running 400+ bhp without informing their insurance provider. Even though I'm not saying this is okay, but a lot of people tend to mod their cars without their insurance company knowing, then strip the bits if they got into an accident.

Apparently there are a few insurance 'spy's' on this forum also, better to be safe then to be sorry....

There are lots of reasons and it is individuals preferance.

Up to date I have not bothered because it is as I said very dificult unless to are part of the security services to get an address.

However I do know of one person who had his Ferrari stolen a few years back because he gave to much info on the Ferrari Forum

and they turned up at a meet and they think he was followed home. The rest is History, or his car is.

A simular thing happened to me with my 1965 Daimler M11 250V8.

I was followed (we think) from a car meet to a friends house and it had gone within the hour.

£18k I spent on doing it up.

So thinking about it and if we use vision and forsight it might not be a good idea to like individuals with plates.

But all that goes out of the window because if i want to advertise selling private plates I have to photograph them and put my name or user name on a piece of paper?

I surrender:)

:yahoo:

• 3 years later...