Help buying a mini

hensh65

Hi all,

I know there is quite a lot of you on here with misses who own a mini.

We were originally looking at A1s but I manage to convice her to buy a car in cash rather that eat into the funds we could be paying for a mortgage each month.

We went and had a look at the car below yesterday, the panels have a few scratches which obviously show up more on black, needs 2 tyres and one of the mini hub caps have fell off. Other than that it looks an ok deal.

http://www.kennedycars.co.uk/used-cars/mini-hatch-cooper-1-6-cooper-3dr-glasgow-201503262081348

Other than the obvious service history, is there anything else I should be looking for with these?

Cheers,

Kris

I had one and loved it. The engine is bomb proof IMO. Look out for scratches on the door pulls inside and the centre bars either side of the radio as they scratch easy. Easy to paint thogh. The tyre pressure monitor light comes on now and again even if they are not fitted with run flats. There is a cancel button near the hand break to knock the dash light off. Also the airbag light came on alot with me.

good luck

• Like 1

The woman Had a mini one from new with quite a few of problems. I would for sure ask if the water pump has been replaced as its a common failure. Also the coolant tank can leak at the joint which is another common problem.

Good luck

Edited by WINKJ
  • Like 1

The woman Had a mini one from new with quite a few of problems. I would for sure ask if the water pump has been replaced as its a common failure. Also the coolant tank can leak at the joint which is another common problem.

Good luck

The woman :lol: !

I seen a few things on the water pump, I will check that.

Oh also the wishbone bushes are mega common. You can check it by gripping hold of a spoke on the wheel and yanking it back and forth.

Can't link from my phone but if you search revolve automotives YouTube channel I think there's a video on there of us doing it

• Like 1

The front wishbone bushes are a nightmare to change on the R53 mini too as you have to drop the subframe.

Does your budget stretch to the R56? 56 plate on wards I believe. They seem to be more reliable (apart from the R56 S which has timing chain issues).

• Like 1

The front wishbone bushes are a nightmare to change on the R53 mini too as you have to drop the subframe.

Does your budget stretch to the R56? 56 plate on wards I believe. They seem to be more reliable (apart from the R56 S which has timing chain issues).

^ this!

They are a fecking nightmare! Same on the 3 series

• Like 1

Thanks for that Ricey, I am in work but I will watch it when I get home!!

370ad, looking to spend around £4K, she said she wanted a Mini with leather seats. The only later mini's have high mileage and cloth interior which is no good.

Defo check front wishbone bushes. Not an especially difficult job to do, but very time consuming.You do need a pit/lift though

Check rocker cover for leaks, rear box for general corrosion, and as has been said, the cooling system has its weaknesses. Although the one we owed only needed a new radiator and had no other cooling issues in the 7 years or so that we owned it.

Otherwise as you say, usual bits and pieces - don't be surprised if you don't see the fuel filter being changed, it's an in tank one, and is fitted for life.

• Like 1

Not sure if the budget stretches but the cooper s at £4995 would be a better long termer IMO if it's in good nick. My mother had a 56 cooper before she bought her cooper s & they are far better to drive.

• Like 1

Not sure if the budget stretches but the cooper s at £4995 would be a better long termer IMO if it's in good nick. My mother had a 56 cooper before she bought her cooper s & they are far better to drive.

BEMS you should know thats the first thing I thought about being on this forum :lol:

We originally went to see a cooper S at the same garage but she is very small and struggled to put it into reverse so really ruined it for her. But the reverse on the cooper is different so she can get away with it.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

We are going to look at a 57 mini cooper on Saturday.

This is a 6 speed so has the reverse gear in same place as the cooper S.

Has anyone elses other half found it a pain in the ass to get it into reverse? The ball and chain could get lost in a crowd of primary school kids and found it really tough to get the cooper s into reverse. Is there a knack to it?

Back in 2006 I wanted to get the missus an R50 Cooper S.

She hated it on the test drive.

Hated the ride and the gear change.

The sales woman could tell so offered another test drive in her own standard Cooper.

Wife said it was night and day finding it much easier to drive.

So bought her the Cooper on standard 15's.

So far in 9 years of ownership we've been lucky.

Just a leaking thermostat housing in year 3.

Oh.... and a wierd howling/wind noise when I hit about 80mph (on a trackday :wink: ). Not a problem for us as its hardly ever on a motorway but could bug the hell out of a heavy motorway user!

Going in for a new exhaust tomorrow due to a rusted back box which is quite common but cheap fix.

eBay exhausts from around £60, but gonna try a custom stainless long life one for £375.

My favourite option is the heated seats which puts the Zed's to shame.

Freezing to toasty in 10-15 seconds on our cloth seats!

Happy hunting :wave:

• Like 1

Do you mean she struggles with the throw or the slight resistance you have to overcome to get into reverse? My mothers car was very stiff to overcome when she bought it but over time it's freed up lots. Can only assume the first owner never used reverse much. My mother is only 5,2" and has arthritis in the shoulder so don't let it put you off too much.

• Like 1

Do you mean she struggles with the throw or the slight resistance you have to overcome to get into reverse? My mothers car was very stiff to overcome when she bought it but over time it's freed up lots. Can only assume the first owner never used reverse much. My mother is only 5,2" and has arthritis in the shoulder so don't let it put you off too much.

Yes its the resistance that she struggled with, she is 4 11" and the same weight as a wet towel :lol: