Dangers of cheap tyres

chrisday1990

I am running OEMs on the rear as I have put them on, the previous owner put alventi pace finders on, after this weekend they will be call Ditchfinders. Turns out they are £50.00 a tyre and they have Loads of tread left. It seems a shame to change them as I don't drive like a nutter but one day I think I'll come unstuck.

I put her into a tight bend at low speed and the front just got left on itself like a pig... Angers me how some owners have no pride in ownership.

OEMS on the rear? As in 040s? They're not really much better, you'll be losing a lot of grip and feel by running those too!

But yeah, crap tyres and crap alignments can ruin a car faster than anything else in terms of enjoyment.

• Like 1

No, 050As are excellent tyres, I didn't see you had an HR so that's my fault. It's the 040s which are sh*t, I ran the 050As on my 911 and they really were supremely impressive.

What would you do if you had shitters on the front that look brand new??

The bridgestones I had on were horrid. I remember I was rolling along (no accel) on a slightly damp, large roundabout and the back started sliding completely unprovoked.

Next day, binned them and put on some decent rubber :teeth: (several times I didn't feel confident with them - note this is a DE car, I'm guessing the 40's not 50's on it)

(I personally prefer grip to slip - ooer)

Edited by RobPhoboS

No, 050As are excellent tyres, I didn't see you had an HR so that's my fault. It's the 040s which are sh*t, I ran the 050As on my 911 and they really were supremely impressive.

I just got the bridgestones fitted and balanced for £140.00 each... Shop around quikfit wanted £250.00 each

I recently put a full set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's on the Zed for £464 on tyreleader, fitting was on top of course.

What can I say, they are absolutely brilliant, looking forward to trying my second track day at Combe

• Like 1

I have put a full set of Goodyear EfficientGrips on mine and it never steps out or surprises me. The car had Falkens on the back when I got it and they were a rather unpredictable and scary, especially in the wet. Got rid of them pretty much straight away.

Swap them to the rear, then doughnuts?

• Like 1

Bloody tyres are a pain in the arse. There seem to be as many recommended brands as there are members.

Choosing the right tyres is always a mystery to me. No matter how much I read I'm none the wiser.

I suppose we all want the best tyres at the right price (the latter being the main problem) but everyone's got their own preferences. Is their no definitive answer to this question.

Is it possible for those connected with the trade or who have an inside track on this question to resolve it down to say 2 tyres for every day driving with the odd excursion into the extreme when we feel the need. I may be asking the impossible but choosing the best value tyres is like picking up someone at a disco, which one will cost the least, go the longest and give the best overall performance.

I'm probably asking the impossible, but for the less well informed like me it's a nightmare.

• Like 1

If you folks think that the Zed handles 'like on rails' on crappy tyres, then you're going to get a real shock when you put it on something decent. ;)

This isnt the case. When on a road going car can u really push the car. I bought mine with budgets on it which i assume the seller put onit to sell. The fronts are still on and ive since replaced the rears with pilot sports. My bmw always had pirellis on it and was very tail happy.

9 times out of 10 my 4 yr old is in my car with me and ive got no problem with the old or new tyres that were fitted to the carand if ur within the speed limits ive never had any problems.

I think in some cases its not the tyres its the drivers needing to learn how to drive the car properly.

Edited by redzed8
  • Like 1

choosing the best value tyres

That's very easy, the best value are the MPSS as they will last far longer than any other brand. Proven now across many different cars and for a few years. Given that they're no longer the expensive option, they're an absolute no brainer if you just want the best value tyre you can buy.

The fact they're the best performing too is just a bonus.

• Like 3

If you folks think that the Zed handles 'like on rails' on crappy tyres, then you're going to get a real shock when you put it on something decent. ;)

This isnt the case. When on a road going car can u really push the car. I bought mine with budgets on it which i assume the seller put onit to sell. The fronts are still on and ive since replaced the rears with pilot sports. My bmw always had pirellis on it and was very tail happy.

9 times out of 10 my 4 yr old is in my car with me and ive got no problem with the old or new tyres that were fitted to the carand if ur within the speed limits ive never had any problems.

I think in some cases its not the tyres its the drivers needing to learn how to drive the car properly.

Indeed it is. And, with all due respect, if you think that a car on crap tyres still handles like on rails then I would humbly guess that some learning may well be in order.

I know that sounds harsh, and I don't mean it to be, but there's a lot of people on here who can seriously pedal and they will all tell you the same thing, that the tyres used make a hugely fundamental difference to the way a car handles. On the road you can't really push a car 10/10ths, but 8/10ths? Yeah, you can, and you'll still feel the difference. Only by driving at under 5/10ths do I personally believe you wouldn't notice any difference. If you only ever use a Zed (or any performance car, for that matter) in the same way that you'd use a Micra then you may not notice the difference in everyday driving. Well, except that the better tyres will last longer...

Where you will notice it is if you have an emergency caused by someone else being a d*ck. If you need to slam the anchors on, or take excessive evasion action, you may well find that those budget tyres cause you as much grief as the emergency itself. I don't just advocate the use of quality tyres for the sake of going quickly, I also do it for the sake of stopping quickly too.

• Like 2

Ive got no doubt in my mind that buying premium tyres over budgets are way better but and its a big butt.

i dont see reason to put people off lower brand tyres which within reason arnt every going to get used to there limits specially if its just on a simple commute.

I drive mine daily and as ive said ive replaced my rears with pilots already.

Im just saying some people can only buy what there budget will allow and unless your going to be screaming ur car everywhere then i had no problem with the budgets that were on it for the time they lasted.

no learning needed here and i dont think ur being harsh at all.

There's no right or wrongs here all opinion.