Ferries and ground clearance

cmck13

I'm going on a trip around France Belgium and Holland, later this year, that's the good part, using either the euro tunnel or a ferry from Dover. I am worried about ground clearance getting on and off the ramps etc. My car by most standards has fairly liberal ground clearance of around 4 inches, or about 10 cm, under the front lip. What has been the experience from those who have used either way of this crossing and is there less of a problem on either of them? Thanks in advance for any advice.

If it's standard no problem at all, done it many times, just take it slowly and if necessary at a bit of an angle.

Sorry didn't mention my experience is with the ferry, not used Eurotunnel

I do Eurotunnel regularly and have done Ferries too ...........

IMAG0306_zps50a1670d.jpg

.......... and thats a lot less than 10cm ;)

If youre on a ferry is might be worth letting them know you are low and they then put you in with the lorries but on Eurtunnel the loaders will send any low cars to the lower level anyway. My biggest problem is width, my wheels scrape down the tracks on the tunnel :wacko:

• Like 1

4 inches, liberal?! lol. i catch nearly every speed bump with my lowered to 4inch clearence.

last time i was on the eurotunne, i recall its quite flat / gradual ramp. i would be more concerned with the speedbumps in any of the carparks you find lol.

never been on the ferry, but i do recall a top gear episode (RIP) where they got a car stuck on the out-ramp.

• Like 1

If standard you should be fine.

Eurotunnel is a little tight on the train so watch your alloys.

Main issue with the ferry is protecting your car while the masses walk by after vacating their cars. Getting on and off should be fine

• Like 1

Chunnel was no problem for my stock height Zed with a V1 replica lip, though I did have to do suggest the lower deck to the chap on the platform. The width of the track inside the train is much more worrying, even with Rays.

• Like 1

If you're worried, mention when you book that you are low clearance (even though if you have standard ride height, you really wouldn't have an issue).

When I worked for DFDS if a car declared themselves as low we would stick them on the middle deck with the freight as there was no major lips to cope with. The standard tourist deck on the DFDS Dover - Dunkerque route is an absolute NO for low vehicles.

• Like 2

Thanks for the answers all taken on board, I think it will be the tunnel, spoke to a booking clerk and they say to mention to the locating marshal that you require the lower deck. They also quoted they don't want you to get stuck because that will b*gg*r up everyone behind you, enough said.