Grinding noise when turning.....

Kraziekatz1

Hey guys, have an 04 350z. It is making a grinding/scraping noise from rear left wheel area when turning right. It's not a knocking noise or similar to when the banana arms went. It's not a squealing noise like a bearing. Not noticed any difference in handling, suspension feels ok. Just put it up on a ramp and everything looks tight and ok.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas? it's definitely a grinding/scraping noise from the rear when turning right only......did have new tyres fitted recently, but can't see anything unusual.

Best advice I can give is to roll your thumb along the discs to the edge, and check for a lip at the edge indicating how worn the discs are. Also, remove the wheel to check how much you have left on the pads

Well the Brake discs look mint, pads in really good condition as well. No unusual movement/noise when the wheel's jacked up. I've had a bearing go on a different car and this is a completely different noise so I'm thinking probably not the bearing (bound to be wrong now I've said that).

Being a bit of a girl, what's the back plate? Dust shield?

Well the Brake discs look mint, pads in really good condition as well. No unusual movement/noise when the wheel's jacked up. I've had a bearing go on a different car and this is a completely different noise so I'm thinking probably not the bearing (bound to be wrong now I've said that).

Yep the back plate is a dust shield. Some times they can get a bit bent & rub against the disc or even trap stones between them & the disc. :thumbdown:

When you checked the pads where you able to see the inside pad (closest to the inside of the cars body if that makes sense) and not just the outside one? Sometimes people have had uneven pad wear so the outside one could look ok but then the inside one is fubar. Just a thought.

did you check the rear of the discs ?

Discs & pads look good on both sides. Really struggling to identify where noise is coming from :(

Both my rear bearings sounding like gravel being ground up as they went. I suspect the bearing, especially as its noisy when you load it up.

They are not all that expensive and not hard to fit. Any decent garage will manage it in an hour or so, providing the old one come off ok.

• Like 1

Discs & pads look good on both sides. Really struggling to identify where noise is coming from :(

Maybe a visit to TGM at Fleet or Jez at Horsham Developments (Newbury) :)