Weak handbrake and slight roll after application

codders

Hi,

Only had my car a few months and have found the hand brake needing to be pulled up fairly hard to get a decent hold. Also, after letting off the foot brake (after handbrake application) the car often rolls what feels like an inch before holding.

I slightly tightened up the cable through the ashtray which improved the hold and seemed to cure the roll. A week later and it's starting to feel as it did before.

The car is 2004 with 38k. Due to the low mileage, an ex mechanic friend has suggested it could be a stretched cable and/or damaged handbrake pads due to extended periods of time with the handbrake on.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks,

Dave

Looks like I'll be getting into the habit of leaving the car in gear ... 1500+ kgs can make a big mess ...

I'll be replacing the rear disc pads soon and i'll have a quick peek at the shoes while I'm there.

Thanks for the replies.

I see your car is some 10 years old ad chances are the handbrake assembly/shoes have not been touched in that time, so a good overhaul should help but as others say it struggles to hold on hills so would advise you always park in gear ;)

I see your car is some 10 years old ad chances are the handbrake assembly/shoes have not been touched in that time, so a good overhaul should help but as others say it struggles to hold on hills so would advise you always park in gear ;)

Indeed, I'll certainly be inspecting the shoes and adjusting the cable fully when I replace the rear pads.

The car has probably stood for weeks at a time, on many occasions, on the handbrake. They probably stuck on numerous occasions and were forced free each time the car was used again.

And as you said, seeing as the car only has 38k, it probably hasn't been inspected/adjusted/overhauled in it's life.

Many have tried most have failed, my mate who works for Nissan as a mechanic will tell you that every one he worked on over the last 10 years has the same problems, the pads are tiny to hold the weight of the car. Don't forget its unlikely that the pads are worn they are only gripping when the car is static and the handbrake is on.

• Like 1

Many have tried most have failed, my mate who works for Nissan as a mechanic will tell you that every one he worked on over the last 10 years has the same problems, the pads are tiny to hold the weight of the car.

I find that crazy on a 1.5 tonne car :scare:

Don't forget its unlikely that the pads are worn they are only gripping when the car is static and the handbrake is on.

Not expecting wear but possible shoe damage from long periods on the handbrake and previous owners 'breaking' them away when starting use again.

I have the same problem. I have just had new brake disc's and pads, etc and the first couple of days ok. But after that back to normal. Having to pull the level up to a excessive range of travel and It still rolls forward slightly after application. Are the 370's any better ?

Try bedding the handbrake in, drive at 10 mph and gently pull the hand brake up until you come to a stop. Do this 3 times but not consecutively. It's in the handbook somewhere. My handbrake holds me on every hill with no problems but was useless before I bed it in.

Try bedding the handbrake in, drive at 10 mph and gently pull the hand brake up until you come to a stop. Do this 3 times but not consecutively. It's in the handbook somewhere. My handbrake holds me on every hill with no problems but was useless before I bed it in.

Thank you, I will give this a try.

Thank you, I will give this a try.

This applies to bedding in NEW handbrake shoes, please see

Ebizeds earlier post with a PDF and read it... :surrender: :surrender: .