Dacia Duster

twobears

No, not my new dream car but Mr Twobears is looking for a cheap car that he won't mind leaving in airport car parks, since that is where his car spends the bulk of its time. Has anyone driven one or know anything about them other than the fact that they are very cheap? I am going to go to the garage later this week to look at one but I don't know if it is a bonkers choice or not? I guess I will know a bit more when I've driven one but any advice would be gratefully received, as always. Thanks :teeth:

I think they're a good value cheap motor owned within the Nissan/Renault group. The spec seems to be increasing with the newer cars. Bear in mind if you don't need the estate car back or 4WD (they are also 2WD) the Sandero is quite impressive for the price and considerably cheaper.

Thanks Arkwright. I will test drive the Sandero as well and see what I think. Mr Twobears isn't small and usually prefers to drive a bigger car although he seems happy to drive Stanley (on the rare occasions he is allowed :lol: ).

I don't think an old Clio is Mr Twobears sort of thing StevoD. He likes to trundle round (his words) in a 4x4 as a rule.

LRF4N, you are right I'm sure but he's never had a second-hand car in his life and doesn't seem keen to start now. He's had company cars since he was in his early 20s and is used to picking the one he wants off the list. Maybe I could fool him with a used car if I sprayed "Essence of New Car" in the interior? :lol:

I have to say, buying a brand new car (even if it is one of the cheapest available) for it to spend most of its time sitting in an airport car park seems like a terrible waste of money to me... it'll depreciate like a stone as soon as you buy it, and it'll be a hateful thing when you're in it.

why not buy a slightly older decent german diesel saloon? very comfortable place to be, loads of nice leather and modern conveniences to play with, plus it'll hold its value a lot better, having already lost 50% of its retail price.

If by German saloon you mean BMW, I'm afraid he definitely wouldn't go for that. He hates them. He's only had one but it was incredibly uncomfortable and the cockpit was very

basic for the money, not that he bought it himself of course.

He's got quite a generous car allowance (in lieu of a company car) but he's already paying for Stanley and another brand new Fiesta for our daughter so I think he wants another loan type deal (or whatever the right term is) so that he spends X amount per month. I just saw that the Dacias were very cheap per month and you didn't need to put down any deposit. Maybe there will be other makes that do similar deals? I'm not very good at this and he is away so I need to try to come up with a couple of options for him as I am now back in Yorkshire with Stanley and he is currently using taxis.

...He's not impressed with a bmw interior but is considering a Dacia?

:doh:

Dacia is renault's budget brand. So crappier versions of already crappy cars. They're the opposite of what lexus are to toyota. Why anyone would consider one il never know

I think I am explaining this badly. Mr Twobears is used to fairly expensive (not overly, but fairly) cars. He has always had company cars until recently when he began receiving a car allowance. He pays for Stanley for me and another Fiesta for our daughter. He doesn't need or want an expensive car because he drives infrequently and in Weybridge he has a driver who takes him to the airport and collects him when he gets home. However, he is coming back to Yorkshire in May and will then need to get himself to the airport so he needs a car but he doesn't want anything desirable as he will only be using it for trailing back and forth to airports and stations and will have to leave it there when he is away.

He hates BMWs with a passion if I really have to spell it out. Sorry :blush: For the money you have to spend on one - not that he would buy one if it were the last marque left on earth - he feels that the comfort levels for his back are zero. He could barely walk after driving the last one and the cockpit, for an expensive-ish car, was minimalistic. Normally he sticks to RRs and LRs and we have two ancient Defenders which are so uncomfortable that even the dogs don't want to travel in them :surrender: He will probably get a Freelander in the fullness of time but, at present, whilst he is travelling abroad every other week, he just wants something cheap and cheerful that won't let him down but will get him where he needs to go and happily wait for him to come back .

He describes himself as 'happy to trundle along' and has zero interest in fast cars. Also he's not a small chap so he'd end up looking as though he were wearing a tiny car, so they are also out of the question. He likes 4WDs because we are pretty rural and the lanes on which we live never get gritted and it is 5 miles in any direction to get to a main road. This winter has been fine so far but he needs to know that his car (unlike Mr Z in previous harsh winters) will get him off the drive and up to the main road. Again, the RWD BMW let him down badly in this respect and he is not the sort to faff about with tyre chains etc as he really doesn't like cars or anything to do with them :surrender:

Hope I have explained myself properly this time :teeth:

i think its the fact he has to have a new car that people think is barmey

even more so with a a point like "He doesn't need or want an expensive car" if he doesnt why dosent a £600 shopping trolley do?

Edited by StevoD

I'll tell him he's barmy then, ha ha :lol: He just hates cars and tries to make his life as easy as possible by buying new ones because he thinks they will be more reliable. I think he has a point because some of my more injudicious second- hand purchases have let me down v badly :wacko:

Fords were for me and my daughter, not him. We choose them and have been very pleased with them :)

He knows cheap cars are horrible. We all know cheap cars are horrible. He just wants a cheap car for a couple of years to do the job he wants it for and then he will buy what he really wants.

I'll get me coat and I'll pick up Mr Twobears jacket on the way out as well :surrender::lol: Unless anyone else has any advice for me that doesn't involve BMWs or Dacias? I feel like this is turning into a problem already and I've got too much on my plate trying to buy the house. Aaargh :angry:

I'm a bmw fan, I own one just now and my next car is likely to be another. But I won't get annoyed if you don't like them lol. There's loads of people out there who don't.

But to complain it's too minimalistic so your looking at dacias instead makes no sense.

And if you want reliable so your going for new again that's fair enough. But why look at a Dacia if reliability is priority

What were saying is get something that is decent, or even half decent, nice place to be, reliable without being flash or fast. There's dozens of potential cars out there that aren't bmws or dacias

I'm a bmw fan, I own one just now and my next car is likely to be another. But I won't get annoyed if you don't like them lol. There's loads of people out there who don't.

But to complain it's too minimalistic so your looking at dacias instead makes no sense.

And if you want reliable so your going for new again that's fair enough. But why look at a Dacia if reliability is priority

What were saying is get something that is decent, or even half decent, nice place to be, reliable without being flash or fast. There's dozens of potential cars out there that aren't bmws or dacias

But that is not what he's saying. He is saying that, if he spends a decent amount of money on a new car he expects it to have more than just a very basic cockpit. He doesn't expect or need a cheap car to be luxurious. He just wants it to take him to the airport and back, not to have hot and cold running champagne and dancing girls. Hopefully, I have finally explained what I mean :lol:

Are Dacias unreliable? I've no idea. I bought an Alfa that let me down almost every trip and everyone told me I shouldn't have bought it but I didn't know :blush:

Can you suggest something else I should look at? I'm trying my best but I am the world's worst at choosing cars.

As he sees a car is just for getting him from A to B and for much of its time its sitting idle just use the car allowance on taxi's?

My son now uses a taxi app where you put in your journey and companies bid for your business (can't remember what it is called) but he used it last week to get from Central London to North Surrey for £30 - quite how the driver/company made any profit beats me and he has never been let down, but if that way gets 2bears to the airport and back home......and he can do his homework on the way :shrug:

And then just upgrade the the two 4WD oldies for that Freelander you mention and you can both use it for trundling around the lanes etc.

• Like 1

Colin, that sounds like a good plan to me. I will ask him what he thinks. When I was living in Weybridge (until this weekend :lol: ) he could use my car if he wanted to but he never needed to because he had a driver to transport him around so I think he may be panicking unnecessarily about not having his own car in Yorkshire :dry: He's not coming back to Yorkshire until May so he's got a while to think about it. I just don't want to do the wrong thing again because my track record for choosing cars is so poor and Mr Twobears has never ever chosen one except off the company car list like I said. It's making my head hurt a bit :wacko:

Sorry LRF4N, only just read this. Everything is a bit up in the air at present because he might be getting an office in London which would be far easier to get to on the train/tube than the one in Weybridge. Keeping our fingers crossed that he will soon need to be in London more than Surrey. He will still need to travel to europe twice a month for a week at a time. I think we need to wait a while before making the final decision. I'm going ahead with the test drives and he will hire a car for his next trip to see how that works out. Life was much simpler when he only commuted an hour and a half each way but needs must and all that.

Went to have a look at a Sandero a couple of year's ago. I was interested in the base model but no one in the UK had one to test drive. You could test drive the top of the range model with a totally different spec and engine. Have to say that I wasn't impressed.

You may be better going for a cheap Hyundai or Kia. If it is staying in an airport car park I would buy something older. An Audi would be my choice.

• Like 1