Red Cam Covers Installation ***Pics***

evest

Saw this post way back and have wanted to do it ever since:

http://www.350z-uk.c...red-cam-covers/

Well I'm half way through the job. Work has stopped as I've dropped two of the cam cover bolts and can't find the little b@stards. Had the car up on stands, taken of the under-tray and had the magnetic probe for almost an hour - where do they go? where?? WHERE?!?!?!

Does anybody has a couple of cam cover bolts going spare...?

Anyway - here is what red cam covers look like in the engine bay.

2015%2B-%2B1%2B%281%29.jpg

2015%2B-%2B1%2B%282%29.jpg

They look a bit orange in the photo but are a darker matt red to the eye.

Took the opportunity to re-polish the upper intake manifold whilst it's off the car. Why not?

2015%2B-%2B1.jpg

Edited by evest

Definitely not anywhere internal I had the covers in place before bringing the bolts over, and the IM was covered up (just took the cover off for the photos) - I was trying to put them into the lower edge of the driver side cam cover when I dropped them, twice on the same hole! Heard them clunking down through the engine bay, but didn't land on the driveway. So frustrating!

I bet you if you remove the IM you will find them deep in the recess between the heads where you have the knock sensor. It's only 6 more bolts toget there. Ideally you should change the gasket which are cheap but only had to do it once and all the other times has been fine with no leaks. Otherwise Zmanalex or Ewen will sort you out.

• Like 1

Cheers mate - I'll try again to find them again tomorrow. Was getting cold and frustrated, plus the light was fading. Hopefully with some careful probing I might get lucky! If not I'll try removing the IM to get more access. If it's to much of a pain I'll get some new ones instead - might work out the quicker option!

Job done!!

Before...

20140330_173117.jpg

After...

2015%2B-%2B3%2B%281%29.jpg

It's in there somewhere...

2015%2B-%2B1.jpg

And from the front... stealth mod!! :lol:

2015%2B-%2B6.jpg

Well it was fun doing it and also put new gaskets in - went for the Cosworth Thermal Phenolic(?) Intake gasket so should be good for another 50bhp....!!! :lol: