DIY Ferrari red cam covers.

djtimo

Just thought id post up a little project I have been doing.

While I have the motor Im building in bits it seamed a good idea to make it look a little more exotic! I fancied the ferrari wrinkle matt red because of its OEM exotic look.

I have been reading up on ferrari owners forums on the colour to use because some people repaint there cam covers/plenums after the years just to smarten them up a little.

There recommendation was VHT wrinkle matt red No.204. this is very very close to the OEM colour.

The covers I degreased, washed and dried. Then I primed it and let it dry for 24 hours. A few coats of VHT paint, 1 hour and 90 C in the oven one side it done!

Heres some pic's.

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0403-1.jpg

Im just letting the cover cool before I take some final pic's! Ill take some with my DSLR as all of the above are just crappy Iphone pic's!

Hope you like!

Just a few more pic's.

_DSC0031-2.jpg

_DSC0036-1.jpg

_DSC0038-2.jpg

_DSC0039-2.jpg

_DSC0040-2.jpg

_DSC0041.jpg

_DSC0042-2.jpg

_DSC0043-1.jpg

I think on my next cover ill use a little less paint as I have some runs on this one but once there on it will be very difficult to see them!

well done on the job, but must admit i'm not a fan of the wrinkle finish. i like the gloss smooth look. didin't know ferrari used a wrinkle look, bu then i've never been close enough to a ferrari engine bay to see :blush:

look forward to seeing them on the car.

sounds silly but i don't remember seeing the cam covers in my engine bay, been so long since i've been in there.

anyone fancy sticking up a pic of then engine bay with big arrows on pointing them out :blush:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Just thought id post up a little project I have been doing.

While I have the motor Im building in bits it seamed a good idea to make it look a little more exotic! I fancied the ferrari wrinkle matt red because of its OEM exotic look.

I have been reading up on ferrari owners forums on the colour to use because some people repaint there cam covers/plenums after the years just to smarten them up a little.

I think on my next cover ill use a little less paint as I have some runs on this one but once there on it will be very difficult to see them!

I ran a few varied Ferraris over the years, your finish is very very similar to the 348, 355 & even 360 cam covers, although the 430 is different,

top tip for future cleaning of the crinkle, WD40, spray on, leave start engine and let the heat vapourise off, gives the red crinkle depth of colour with minimal effort and no damage.

Tim, I saw your engine at abbey and it does look absolutely spanking, the only thing I didn't really understand was the red cam covers as these are hidden after the engine is in the car are they not?

I love the polished covers and black painted front though :teeth:

Tim, I saw your engine at abbey and it does look absolutely spanking, the only thing I didn't really understand was the red cam covers as these are hidden after the engine is in the car are they not?

I love the polished covers and black painted front though :teeth:

You can just about make them out with the stock plenum, they are pretty visible with the cosworth though :)

I know there not very visible but attention to detail makes they motor look more complete! The front timing cover and polished bits are just motor bling. I cant help myself from doing bits to the motor while its all in bits in the garage! :blush: