plenum paint

MrChow

I know a few of you have painted your plenum (not a euphemism) :D, just want to get on idea of your process in the prep work, best paint to use and colours?

I'm thinking a matt black to match the plastic cover, but i'm open to suggestions.

ALSO, im toying with the idea of carbon wrapping the said plastic cover... thoughts please?

I cleaned mine with a wire wheel, used a couple of coats of Bilt Hamber Etchweld primer for the non-ferrous bonding layer, then a few coats of Hammerite hammered silver (other colours are available) direct to rust spray. It's been completely fine so far :thumbs:

Thanks fellas.

You shouldn't need VHT paint for plenum, its get hot but not that hot, just a degrease and a good clean should do it.

What's VHT paint?

Very High Temperature

Oh yeah, Duh... :/

Very easy mod to do MrChow, ...most have already described how to do it above. ;)

My thread from when I did mine just to give you an idea: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/85949-thanks-lyndzzz-carling-plenum-painted/

GM I read your thread the other day and saw what you done to your plenum and it gave me the inspiration to do mine

• Like 1

You shouldn't need VHT paint for plenum, its get hot but not that hot, just a degrease and a good clean should do it.

Beat me to it. Doesn't need to be VHT. Mine's been Fosus ST orange for a while now, with no discolouration.

Beat me to it. Doesn't need to be VHT. Mine's been Fosus ST orange for a while now, with no discolouration.

I done mine to see if it would reduce temp inside plenum as before after longrun plenum was very hot to touch.. whereas now its much cooler. Dunno if it works or not just experimenting B)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thermacure-Satin-Black-High-Temperature-Spray-Paint-400ml-Stove-heat-Resistant-/261775726750?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf30c989e

Thats similiar to the stuff I used, I just thought theoretically if your plenum is cooler then the air going in would be cooler.

Edited by SkylineV35

Placebo effect! you wont reduce the plenum temp but using any paint finish, even an isolating gasket wont make much difference, because the plenum sits above the V of the engine so receives a lot of radiated heat.

In any case the heat wont make a big difference as once the engine is running at anything over idle then the boundary layer effect takes over and heat is not transmitted from the almost static layer of air next to the plenum wall to the moving air .

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1