03 Zed for drift/street

S14DST

Hey everyone, I decided to introduce and show my humble street drifter build...

As much as building this car to ''drift spec'' I won't be going mental with weight reduction or F/I.. Want to keep it quite simple and reliable but nicely driftable...

So on to the car spec, if there is any :D

03 Sunset orange with brembos and Rays

First thing I did was change thermostat, because the old just wasn't there for unknown reason :/

IMG_0200.JPG

And the same time I did my air filter, and thank god I did, as the old one was terrible!

IMG_0199.JPG

Then changed my inner lower control arm bush

IMG_0206.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG

After that I needed new brake pads asap.. was looking towards brembo stuff, but ended up with EBC Ultimax2

IMG_0205.JPG

As you can see, old one just didn't existed as such :o

IMG_0208.JPG

While fitting rear pads decided to take a look at handbrake shoes, and of course bought a new set of those too...

IMG_0201.JPG

And after all of this in couple weeks of owning the car I startet think the issues will never end, and they didn't, but passed MOT :)

After the MOT was passed I started to investigate the very annoying ticking squealing noise coming from the engine...

It turned out to be a dead A/C belt tensioner bearing... Started to look around for replacement and after getting a price of 100euros, I decided it's time for some DIY.. google didn't help, but I managed to buy brand new bearing and with a help of a press at work it was fixed!

IMG_0216.JPG

Bearing dimensions are 37x12x12 if someone want's to do theirs ;)

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

Then this little bastard was removed

IMG_0229.JPG

And because I need to drift this I bought OBP hanbrake + Wilwood 0.625 cylinder

IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

As it turned out, it was a ROYAL PITA to fit where I wanted it to be, but decided it needs to look clean interior wise!

So prior to make it fit, I had to move climate control ecu behind head unit, it's a tight fit, bit it fits there!

IMG_0230.JPG

I don't have any pictures of it modified, but the OBP handbrake was heavily modified to fit properly!

Next big thing was the clutch slipping bad, and with bad I mean in any gear :/

Ordered brand new clutch disc because that was the problem, and man what a transformation, now I can put my foot down :)

IMG_0346.JPG

And the last but now least, I fitted 6mm rack spacers, works great for a couple of weeks now... But still need to cut lock stop to get the most out of it!

IMG_0395.JPG

Of course along the way I changed engine oil+filter with Motul X-Clean and for gearbox 75W-90 Motul gear oil.

Ok now to the pictures of the actual car I have :D

DSC_2632.JPG

DSC_2633.JPG

DSC_2634.JPG

DSC_2645.JPG

DSC_2646.JPG

DSC_2648.JPG

Interior since these pictures were taken has been properly cleaned and now looks much better, but a bit worn...

And handbrake lever was cut and rewelded to make it a lot comfortable and usable!

Oh, and rear right wheel bearing was swapped due to it being noisy!

As you might have noticed it has been a lot of work and still I have to do something about the bodywork, but technical stuff is first for me...

And don't be too hard on me on the condition of this Zed, as it's going to get some abuse at the track drifting...

Not to mention I bought it for around 3500 quid :D

Oh, and I would appreciate any advice how to prepare my zed for summer drifting ;)

Cheers!

• Like 3

Thanks for replies :yahoo:

I've got loads of ideas and plans for this projects, but moneys being super tight, unfortunately it won't be a fast build... more likely this is going to take a while...

Oh, and forgot to add that I also had to buy brand new OEM washer bottle and dipstick... B)

Edited by S14DST

Leather seats + drifting = seasickness :lol:

Seriously, Id be looking at getting a bucket in there so you can concentrate on driving the car rather than keeping yourself from flying out of a window. :lol:

Ive not messed with the lock on mine, do you think grinding back the lockstops will give you much more lock? Any danger of it going past centre?

awsome! i have the same plans for mine! how hard was the hydro to plum in? any other mods to get it to work with the abs etc? cheers

It was easy, I disconnected the ABS and now everything goes straight from BMC to handbrake-calipers...

I left the ABS unit in place, because I've read that if you disconnect it, you won't have a speedo???

And remember that you need two type of piping, one was regular ~4mm and for main pipe that goes straight off BMC you need ~6mm piping, and of course ends for the pipes to bolt in! Oh, and factory thread is 1.0 ;)

Leather seats + drifting = seasickness :lol:

Seriously, Id be looking at getting a bucket in there so you can concentrate on driving the car rather than keeping yourself from flying out of a window. :lol:

Ive not messed with the lock on mine, do you think grinding back the lockstops will give you much more lock? Any danger of it going past centre?

Honestly I have never had a bucket in my life, but of course I would like some bride low max recliners copies, but with moneys being very tight I simply can't afford everything :surrender:

And I'm quite happy with these seats, they nice for me...

Nice work on the hydro for sure :). Nice to see you're spending the money in the right places instead of just going for PPPOOOOOWWWWEEEERRRR like most when they're building a drift car.

Keep the good stuff coming :D

Power wise I kinda decided that I will stay N/A and won't be using forged internals, just because it's not necessary for my level of driving and again I can't afford to :lol:

But the ''dream'' is to put some quality long tube headers, with custom 3'' stainless steel single exit exhaust, of course lightweight flywheel with ''sports'' clutch, some proper intake filter, and probably custom stainless steel intake pipe and probably will need some alloy radiator to keep temperatures nice and cool.... coilovers etc...

Of course I would like to upgrade to a 2way, but they cost as much as I earn in two months, so that won't happen any time soon, so if I won't be happy with OEM LSD then I will just TIG weld it :blush:

So yeah, will try to the impossible and go ''cheap and cheerful'' way :teeth:

So a little review from yesterday!

Did a royal PITA work on it. The whiteline diff bushings...

It took me about 14 hours to do it on my own in a garage without any jack or whatever, just basic tools and a hacksaw (it's a must).

But I must say, I'm very pleased with the result, now it feels a lot smoother and no extra noises which is good, as this is my daily :)

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

So a little review from yesterday!

Did a royal PITA work on it. The whiteline diff bushings...

It took me about 14 hours to do it on my own in a garage without any jack or whatever, just basic tools and a hacksaw (it's a must).

But I must say, I'm very pleased with the result, now it feels a lot smoother and no extra noises which is good, as this is my daily :)

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

I done mine myself haha just a jack, hacksaw and a friend took us agees to!

• Like 1

loving this thread so far! you and i are basically trying to acheive the same target! jealous of your hydro though ;)

And I'm jealous of your wheels, I need a sponsor :lol:

But I would recommend to search for a lot smaller hydro unit, because this really took a lot of modifying and making it fit properly!

And handle has been turned 180degrees and on different angle to suite my needs, but haven't got a chance to take a photo :dry:

Next on the list is new 235/40 tyres up front (thinking something like NS2-r or 595rsr) And fit new drop links on front sway bar....

Hope it will be enough to star a season! :blush:

loving this thread so far! you and i are basically trying to acheive the same target! jealous of your hydro though ;)

And I'm jealous of your wheels, I need a sponsor :lol:

But I would recommend to search for a lot smaller hydro unit, because this really took a lot of modifying and making it fit properly!

And handle has been turned 180degrees and on different angle to suite my needs, but haven't got a chance to take a photo :dry:

Next on the list is new 235/40 tyres up front (thinking something like NS2-r or 595rsr) And fit new drop links on front sway bar....

Hope it will be enough to star a season! :blush:

Haha yes a Sponsor would help! Yeh I'm not sure which one to go for yet, not sure if I have the patience to put it neatly in the console like you did aha! Hopefully getting mine more specced for drifting soon, for me it's handling mods, camber arms, toe arms etc. need to sell my other two projects now and focus on this one now :)

Finally today I received and installed my superpro poly rear sway bar bushes and new drop links!

It made a noticeable difference, because before I was able to move arb by hand, so there wasn't actually a point of it :D

Sorry for crappy phone pic...

https://lh6.googleus...9M=w415-h553-no

Unfortunately for some reason I can't upload pictures from my google+ account!

Edited by S14DST

So a little teaser from this evening :teeth:

But on to something that I really noticed and not happy with, the diff!

It does lock just enough do some skids obviously, but all the time I really could feel that it's fighting itself to lock properly!

And due to moneys being low, 2way is not an option, but for what sort of money I'm looking for some open diff? Just diff without pumpkin and final gears!

Maybe anyone on here has a spare to donate? :lol:

• 1 month later...

Ok, it's been a while since I posted...

At the moment I need to refurbish my steering rack and PAS pump due to front brake disc being warped :/

Anyone can recommend front brake discs for 03 Z with brembos? Will consider slightly used if cheap enough :D

And what spark plugs would be recommended? At the moment I have NGK PLFR5A plugs, but they cost too much for me, as I like to change my plugs 2-3 times a year :D is there anything cheaper out there?

• 4 weeks later...

Good stuff! Keep the updates coming! Don't suppose you've got any photos of installing your hydro? I've got the same one now and just wondering the best place to mount it :)

I could take my panel off and take some pictures for you this week if you need them mate ;)

Next thing I think is going to be stainless 3'' y-pipe back exhaust custom made by me and my mate!

But not sure at the moment, because I need new banana/compression arm as it's rattling bad :(