Discuss...

HaydnH

Think I read something in one of the papers recently that speed is statistically a fairly insignificant causal factor in accidents.

It is. Although the stats are all rigged as they include speed as a reason for an accident when the driver might have been driving well within the speed limit, but too fast for the conditions. Its all part of trying to justify why the police always harp on about "speed kills" when it doesnt. Inappropriate speed does or effectively just dangerous driving does.

• Like 1

As for speed, Ive got biker mates who regularly hit their 300 km/h limiters and Ive gone pretty close to that and past it in Germany and on track, if the conditions and the car are right its no more dangerous than doing the speed limit in heavy traffic IMO.

Saw an indicated 180 when i had a bike (abroad), its quite something how a corner in the distance, suddenly isnt in the distance ;)

As for speed, Ive got biker mates who regularly hit their 300 km/h limiters and Ive gone pretty close to that and past it in Germany and on track, if the conditions and the car are right its no more dangerous than doing the speed limit in heavy traffic IMO.

Saw an indicated 180 when i had a bike (abroad), its quite something how a corner in the distance, suddenly isnt in the distance ;)

In the late 90`s I had a modified ZXR750L2 completely flat out (on a private road) for a good number of miles an it was showing a similar speed. My mate on his Fireblade was right behind me also flat out and both bikes were dead equal. It was a really weird feeling as everything is moving so fast and yet your brain seems to be working slower. I found myself remembering how my bike tended to use nearly as much oil as petrol and that one slight twitch of the handle bars or a brick in the road would cause a bit of a mess so I slowed down to a more "sensible" speed.

Ive never been as fast since and dont ever want to, even though the bikes I have now are miles more powerful & faster. I find, for example, on my 16 year old R1, it will hit 115mph in 2nd gear and will just keep pulling & pulling like a jet plane through the next 4 gears until you decide enough is enough. Simply pulling out & accelerating to overtake something and you could quite easily hit 150mph in a few seconds without even trying before you reach for the brakes and slow down to something more sensible.

These days I tend to keep to the same speeds as I would driving my car and just enjoy the odd burst of acceleration. The main thing for me these days as a more "sensible biker" is to enjoy the experience and a nice bendy bit of road rather than riding flat out everywhere.

Speed had never actually killed anyone . . its all about how you come to a stop again ;)

Donald Campbell might disagree... if he was alive.

Donald Campbell died because he came to a very abrupt halt . . not because he was going 300mph

Speed had never actually killed anyone . . its all about how you come to a stop again ;)

Donald Campbell might disagree... if he was alive.

Donald Campbell died because he came to a very abrupt halt . . not because he was going 300mph

But if he wasn't going for a land speed record it wouldn't have happened.

It’s a tough one, speed. Yes I think the motorways could be safe enough jumping up to say 80mph, but I would definitely keep 30mph zones (not so sure on 20’s, except maybe on school hours like those flashing ones?). I think I’ve said this in other threads similar to this in the past but it is down to you, your common sense and (controversial one) your own judgement. If you’re willing to ‘risk it for a biscuit’ and plant that right foot, whether it’s an overtake or you just want to press on a bit you’ll be using that thing you learned from the very beginning of your driving….LOOKING AHEAD. If you’re cranking up the speed however you gotta look even further and be ready to react earlier, as pointed out the Germans on the autobahns seems to get on ok with it (just watch out for those trucks pulling out lol). Again however, everyone’s different, some people find it acceptable to ride another’s bumper on the motorway with a gap of a couple of feet or teen guys who are in a ‘team’ of 3 in their little new red Corsa and are weaving like hell in and out of traffic. Despite ‘only’ being 29 next month I DO notice the difference in younger drivers and it makes me cringe. If your into cars your always gonna be into speed (you own a 350Z for god sake), but there’s a time and a place and it should be a relatively empty, clear and dry ‘space’. I’m not saying I’m the perfect law abiding driver, we’d all be lying if we said we were, but a little common sense and looking ahead can do wonders and you can still use your car in relative safety to get excited over one of the reasons you bought it in the first place… You’ll always have those moments however where you go for it and then realise oh that was a bit silly or not quite as much room as you thought, but just try and be as safe as you can without causing other drivers to panic over you too lol

My two cents lol

Sorry about the font its copy/pasted, this site for some reason slows the typing down and makes it not very responsive to the keys (mods?)

Edited by AMT