Total newbie needs help with wheel sizing

jonty88

Hey guys,

Im new here so hello to you all! Im currently in the process of purchasing my first 350z, its been a while coming but I can finally afford one. The model in question is a Black 08 GT with the standard GT alloys. Im already eyeing up potential mods for the car but want to start by changing the wheels. Im new to modifying as I spent 4 years being a student so couldn't really afford to do anything to my current car (05 Celica). Im eyeing up 18 inch alloys as ive read that the suspension or handling (correct me if im wrong) has to be altered slightly to fit 19s. Im confused by what off set and width of alloy I need, I would like a nice fit against the body work, maybe even poking out slightly. Would I have different sized wheels on the front and back? Also could the stock tyres be used to fit the new alloys? Im totally new to all this so go easy on me haha,

Thanks guys!

Edited by jonty88

Hi and welcome along! :) What kind of styles do you like? Maybe show us something you like the look of and we can help with what sizes to go for.

I'd stick with 18's personally as they're going to be better performance wise and the tyres are cheaper!

Thanks Nowehereboy, il take a look at the post. I like the style of the Rota Torques as there not as common as something like the Grids.

Zedd have you had to do anything to the suspension or anything to the steering to fit the 19s?

Thanks also Will!

Welcome jonty. :welcome:

In case you're not aware there are loads of great professional traders on this forum that can help you out with absolutely anything you need for your Zed. Two of my favourites and links to there alloys for sale on their websites below.

Tarmac Sportz: http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/products.aspx?CategoryId=00fe4e62-ede5-4003-b523-06e75cf32a82

The Cougar Store: http://cougarstore.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_13&zenid=bcaa60565806895c2c0f2d2ff1b32aee

Just fyi the alloys I have on my 350Z are 19" Rota Grids in steel grey with an ET20 offset. Front are 9.5J with a 245/35/19 tyre and rears are 10.5J with a 275/35/19 tyre. Not lowered at all and no rubbing at all either. ;)

• Like 1

I was going to start a thread like this soon. Basically I want the GTRD's in 19" (I know they don't come in 19"), black deep disk 5/6 spokes, so possibly settling on the Varrstoen ES2.

Was a bit worried about the rubbing on 19"'s though. I'm stock and don't really car too much about the stance. I don't want to be messing around with rolling the arches or suspension at this stage. I could stretch to spacers if their is an issue with Brembo clearance though.

Welcome jonty. :welcome:

In case you're not aware there are loads of great professional traders on this forum that can help you out with absolutely anything you need for your Zed. Two of my favourites and links to there alloys for sale on their websites below.

Tarmac Sportz: http://www.tarmacspo...23-06e75cf32a82

The Cougar Store: http://cougarstore.c...c0f2d2ff1b32aee

Just fyi the alloys I have on my 350Z are 19" Rota Grids in steel grey with an ET20 offset. Front are 9.5J with a 245/35/19 tyre and rears are 10.5J with a 275/35/19 tyre. Not lowered at all and no rubbing at all either. ;)

Thanks for this mate, I shall be sure to check out both links! Also that clears up any problems with getting 19s so thanks also for sharing your sizes :D

19's won't rub anymore than 18's, the tyre profile is adjusted to produce the same radius as OEM.

Buy 19's because 18's look too small. You will only have to alter things if you lower the car.

Thanks Kyle! What becomes the issue once the car is lowered on 19s? What needs to be altered?

It becomes an issue on 18's too. Once you lower the car 25mm+ chances are there won't be enough adjustment in the standard camber and toe bolts to bring it back into OEM limits. You can buy adjustable camber arms for about £180 and that'll sort it.

Depending on width of the tyre and offset, you may have to roll the rear arches if you lower by 30mm+ too.

It becomes an issue on 18's too. Once you lower the car 25mm+ chances are there won't be enough adjustment in the standard camber and toe bolts to bring it back into OEM limits. You can buy adjustable camber arms for about £180 and that'll sort it.

Depending on width of the tyre and offset, you may have to roll the rear arches if you lower by 30mm+ too.

Thanks for the info mate, much appreciated. Im eyeing up these for the potential wheels: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271602736332?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for the info mate, much appreciated. Im eyeing up these for the potential wheels: http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Tarmac Sportz (a trader on here) sells the Japan Racing wheels, chat to him.

Thanks for the info mate, much appreciated. Im eyeing up these for the potential wheels: http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Tarmac Sportz (a trader on here) sells the Japan Racing wheels, chat to him.

Thanks for the info mate il take a look

Sorry, haven't time to read the whole thread so this may have already been said. You don't need to change your suspension to fit 19s. You can also lower on springs ie Tein S Springs and drop 20mm without needing to change your camber arms etc..

Sorry, haven't time to read the whole thread so this may have already been said. You don't need to change your suspension to fit 19s. You can also lower on springs ie Tein S Springs and drop 20mm without needing to change your camber arms etc..

Ahh thanks for this Payco, I did wonder about springs instead of coilovers. I want the car to still be pretty functional if I lowered without having to mess about with anything.